Amazing Weekend -- Great Outlook!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by texjess2010, Apr 18, 2010.

1. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

Apr 18, 2010

Hi Everyone!
    I just wanted to post a quick line -- an update. So this weekend I went to a DFW area job fair that had to be the most organized job fair I have ever been to. Basically, you got four interview "tickets" and when released, you signed up for the school you wanted to interview with. Downside, if you were late, you would have to wait until after 2pm for an interview. Well anyway, I was an hr and a half early and still about # 400 or so in line. Got my tickets and when I was released sign up with the schools I wanted to interview and got four fifteen minute interviews -- some with vice principals and principals! It went great and I emailed them back after I got back home and one of them emailed me yesterday evening saying that I am on her list of top picks and if there is an ESL position in her elementary school (4th-5th is the preference) , I'm who they want to talk to! She added that she would like me to let her know if I am about to take another job and to update her on my progress!

Sounds promising to me especially considering that I am new to this and I am alternative certification and I know how some feel about that. There were thousands of people there and she actually remembered and responded to me! This whole experience went with my initial views that times are hard but if you sell yourself, then anything is possible:) I did bring a brochure and plenty of resumes and portofolios with business cards. Hard work but way worth it! I will update what progresses but I am so hopeful and feel so blessed!! I have two more fairs this weekend and will attack them with the same vigor!

Oh and I took the business education TexEs exam yesterday after the job fair (I almost missed it!). It wasn't too bad but I sure hate having to wait until May for results. Oh well. Last test I'm taking for a while is the ESL supplement in a couple of weeks. Wish me luck!

3. Nguyenap87

Nguyenap87 Rookie

Apr 18, 2010

Awesome Texjess2010! Best of luck to you!

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2010

Wonderful! Definitely ride the wave of confidence!

5. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

Apr 18, 2010

thanks so much to both of you! i am definately on that wave:)

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2010

Awesome!!!!

I feel like I had a productive weekend too! Couldn't sleep Friday night so I stayed up til 3 am and visited EVERY school district's website in my county....I actually found 4 positions that I had'nt already applied to (2 are over an hour away) but at this point I may have to deal-they would be a nice drive just long. I sent in my online applications with my website adress (which wasnt done yet) printed on my cover letter. Well I knew that the administrators could potentially see my Online Portfolio Monday so that put the fire under my butt to finish it! I spent 5 hours on Saturday and it is finally done! I have a good feeling! This is our year A to Z!

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 19, 2010

What a great way to run the job fair. Glad to hear of the positive response. Good luck!!

8. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Apr 19, 2010

Good luck!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2010

Sounds great! Good luck!

10. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

Apr 19, 2010

thanks so much! i am very very excited and again, just really hoping for the best and my focus is getting through my alt. cert program, continuing to apply and gettingi the experience that will only help in the long run. an opportunity is the opportunity to improve and i plan to take all of them as they come:)