Amanda, please give us preschool forum

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by cindyhere, Oct 5, 2002.

1. cindyhere

cindyhere Rookie

Oct 5, 2002

I absolutely love this site and this opportunity to discuss ideas with other professionals in this way. But. (and this is a very tiny but), I would really like to see an Early Childhood Forum for preschool teachers not elementary school teachers... sure some of the issues are the same...many of the developmental areas are the same..but, much of the curriculum, the environment, the politics and the day to day goals are different. Kindergarten is not the same as preschool. It just isn't. Does anyone feel the same as I?
    Wouldn't you like to see a Preschool Teacher Forum????
    Pretty please Amanda? :)

3. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Oct 6, 2002

Just my 2 cents- I do think that preK and K are similar in many programs. My preK was very academic and I could relate well to K teachers. Plus it is good to know what types of things the students will be experiencing the following year.

Maybe you are looking for a daycare forum? Public preschools are very much linked with kindergartens.

4. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Oct 6, 2002

Have you checked out earlychildhood.com. That site focuses mainly on early childhood... there are a lot of the same features as this site... message boards, articles, lessons, etc.

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Oct 6, 2002

The Early Childhood Forum is for preschool... (see description: toddlers, preschool, kindergarten; ages 0-5) I have kindergarten in the EC Forum instead of Grades 1-5 because it's a transitional year and seems to fit here better.

Do we need to move kindergarten to the elementary forum?

6. Margo

Margo Devotee

Oct 6, 2002

I consider Kindergarten to be part of EC. I think it should stay where it is.

7. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Oct 6, 2002

Thanks for giving your opinion, Margo. I'd like to hear from everyone else, too. Please post your thoughts. :)

8. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Oct 6, 2002

I think that kindergarten should definitely remain in the early childhood forum. The programs I have been in for both preK and K have been very similar, and I do think we all have the same types of concerns. Plus, if someone has a specific PreK question, they can post that it is a question geared specifically towards PreK, not K, right? I'd like to see this forum remain as is :)

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 6, 2002

Early Childhood is defined as the years from birth to age. I would not move Kindergarten to Elementary.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 7, 2002

I agree. Kindergarten is early childhood. In our (very small) school, K and Jr K are combined. It is Montessori, though so each may be working on different skills. Maybe the first poster is looking for more stuff for 2 - 3 year olds? We don't seem to have a great number of threads on that.

11. CorbyND

CorbyND Rookie

Oct 7, 2002

I like Kindergarten where it is. I encorporate Kindergarten plans into my teaching ( I also teach Pre K ) and consider Kindergarten teachers to have a wealth of information and experience. Please don't change a thing!:)

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 10, 2002

Kindergarten is probably fine where it is, but I teach Special Ed. pre-k and I can understand Cindy's concern. There are times that no matter how much adaptation, it just doesn't apply to me.