AM

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by dillpickle, Apr 26, 2007.

1. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Apr 26, 2007

Does your school have AM? My new job for the upcoming year uses AM as a big part of their math program and grade and I've never used it. Any advice or tips on how to make it less challenging for me?

3. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Apr 28, 2007

What do you mean by AM? Accelerated Math??

4. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Apr 28, 2007

Yes. Do you know anything about it?

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 28, 2007

Students correct their mistakes. You or your assistant keeps the TOPS report and have them circle the wrong problems and bring the sheet back to you for you to make sure they corrected the mistakes and know how to work the problems.

They get help on practice sheets, but text they don't get any help. Practice sheet can go home, but all test are done at school.

Print test on light colored copy paper and practices on white paper.
    This way it is easlier to keep track of who is working on what.

Each student gets different questions.

Be sure they understand how to mark their scan cards. You need one scan card for test and another for practice. We don't use the excercises. Bubbles must be filled in neatly. Don't mark outside of the bubble or it will toss out the card.

Their is an award certificate on one link where you can print end of year certificates. Really nice.

6. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Apr 28, 2007

Gosh. Thanks so much. I hope I can get all that down quick at the beginning of the year. I never had to do that. We didn't even use that program at my old school. Do you know of any sites I can use to familiarize myself with it before school starts?

7. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Apr 28, 2007

We just started using it, and the kids LOVE it. However, our Title I person takes care of it, so I really don't have to do anything except tell her what objectives to use. Good luck figuring it out, it looks to me like you just have to start slowly and play around with it until you have it down. I do think you will love it, too. I've never seen my kids so anxious to do math!

8. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Apr 28, 2007

That's awesome! I'm excited, but anxious b/c I don't know much about it. Thanks for the advice.

9. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Apr 30, 2007

I also used it this year for the first time. I was overwhelmed in the beginning thinking it was going to be hard because every kid could be on a totally different assignment, BUT it has been very easy to catch onto, and is very beneficial. I'm a big advocate of the program now!!! It's great to use in tutoring too, because you can print a practice/exercise on any one specific objective. Good luck!