AM or PM

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss Kirby, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 30, 2009

What subjects do you like teaching better in the morning or afternoon?

Have you tried teaching reading after lunch? Are they calm and focused or too tired?

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

I like D.O.L. as bell work, announcements/current events discussions, and (interventions and ) reading in the morning... then math right after lunch, and science/social studies at the end of the day.

I'm so comfortable with that schedule.. I might balk if it were changed.

I did my clincical observations with a man who put off reading and put off reading....until ooops no time today (sure they read in their other subjects...but he HATED reading instruction-thus didn't do it). He SOME-WHAT felt guilty about it so I suggested doing it first thing in the morning. He tried it and said that it relieved his guilt -at least- but I KNOW that as soon as my time in the room was finished (and he was left on his own) that he went back to letting the time slip away again.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2009

We're required to teach reading in the a.m. Kids are too fatigued to enjoy it in the afternoon and they need something active to do in the afternoon.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2009

My morning is mostly language arts- reading, writing, word work, literacy centers...

Afternoon- I like math right after lunch...we play many math games, hands-on... Also hands-on science kinds of stuff....Social studies.

6. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

I feel that the kids need to be the most focused on math which I would love to have in the morning. But we have to go by our AGP schedule and they've been putting us at the very end of the day for 2 years now. First graders cannot focus on math concepts at 1 pm! I feel that my kids can do reading in the afternoon, especially since they're in smaller groups during guided reading/literacy centers.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2009

We stagger our language blocks so that we can provide Special Ed and ESL support. Our primary students have language first thing in the morning, then grades 4-6 between recess and lunch, and grades 7 and 8 after lunch. When I had my grade 5 and 6 classes, I always started the day with math and loved it!

8. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 30, 2009

With my 5th graders, we had the last or second-to-last lunch the past three years, so I've taught both before lunch, and saved recess, science and social studies for the afternoon. I think they are both vital and the kids just aren't the same after lunch and recess. I prefer to teach reading first, when the kids are sharpest.

9. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 30, 2009

I'm switching my schedule up this year and breaking up my literacy block. Last year I taught science in the pm.

This year will look like:

Math
    Reading
    Science
    Lunch
    AR
    Small Group/Workstations
    Social Studies

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 30, 2009

See, our schedule is crazy this year. We have specials right away in the morning, like ten minutes after our day starts. We have about an hour and a half of instructional time before lunch. After lunch we have about 2 hours and 40 minutes of instructional time. We had this long of an afternoon last year. So frustrating! Plus, we have ELL students who are pulled for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. They for sure will miss science and social studies, but I can't figure out what else they can miss. Probably either reading or writing workshop, since i need to have them for word work and I need to have them for reading groups! For sure they can't miss math.

Anyway, It's super hard to fit everything in the schedule. The best way I can get it to fit, I don't really like the order of things!

8:30-8:40 Unpack/Announcements/Attendance
    8:40-9:25 Specials/Bathroom
    9:25-9:40 Morning Meeting
    9:40-10:05 Literacy Stations
    *10:00-11:00 ELL PULL OUT*
    10:05-10:55 Reading Workshop
    10:55-11:05 Clean Up/Line Up
    11:05-11:50 Lunch/Bathroom
    11:50-12:30 Calendar/Math
    12:30-1:00 Word Work
    1:00-1:40 Writing Workshop
    *1:20-2:20 ELL PULL OUT*
    1:40-2:10 Science/Social Studies
    2:10-2:30 Journals/Pack up/Afternoon jobs/Book shop

Any suggestions would be awesome. My schedule last year was:
    morning meeting
    word work
    specials
    reading workshop
    lunch
    writing
    literacy stations
    math
    science/social studies

I complained about it but I think I liked it better! :p

11. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

I've had specials first thing in the morning once too. What an awkward way to start the day on the first day of school. It was like, Welcome, now line up =)

12. CiniMini

CiniMini Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

At our school K-3 do reading and language arts in the morning and math after lunch. I don't necessarily like teaching reading first thing in the morning but that guarantees that it always gets done on days that we have special programs or bad weather.

13. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

My schedule has always been:

Reading Instruction (Basal Series)
    Specials/Electives
    Small Groups/Workshop
    Lunch
    Science or Soc.St
    Math
    Recess
    Science or Soc. St

This year I'm hoping I'll have some leniency with my schedule since we won't be switching classes at all. I hope to have Recess and Specials at the end of the day. I'd love to have no interruption (besides RR break) between whole-group reading instruction and workshop. I like literacy in the morning. I hated having to teach after recess! The kids always acted like the bell was about to ring even though we'd have 40 more minutes of instruction! :(

14. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2009

I do AR in the morning, first thing. It works.

15. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

I actually like teaching math first thing in the morning because the kids are more alert and focused. However, we have been told that we must teach reading in the morning and math in the afternoon. I would prefer it to be the other way around.

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2009

Writing, Reading- Morning
    Math, Science/S.S.- Afternoon

My schedule is generally the way I prefer it to be. :)

17. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 30, 2009

morning - reading and language arts
    after lunch - math, sci and SS and specials

18. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

I prefer to have math in the morning, science/social studies in the middle of the day, and language arts in the afternoon. In my experience, students seem to have the hardest time staying focused after lunch, and reading and writing seem to keep them calm and focused during that part of the day.

19. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 30, 2009

Yeah, maybe reading/writing in the afternoon will keep them calm, instead of getting hyped up with math and centers!

20. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

Last year I did Math and Reading in the morning. My kids also took Hebrew in the morning 2 days a week and Character Training 2 days a week (we have a short day on Saturdays and no school on Fridays).

After lunch/1st break, I did penmanship/writing which usually helped them calm down a little after being outside (we don't have a cafeteria so break and lunch happen simultaneously). Then I moved on to Spelling, Language, and then Science and History. After the second break, they had PE or Music and then lastly, Arabic every day.