Am I wrong?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by kevo2005, Oct 11, 2013.

1. kevo2005

kevo2005 Companion

Oct 11, 2013

I am probably the most hated person on my campus right now by principals and teachers. Luckily, I am special services shining star, but is it wrong for me to expect goals that are actually measurable? Is it wrong for me to expect PLAAFPS that are longer than three sentences, when you are requesting modified curriculum and modified testing for a kid? I probably am wrong that I have resorted to putting a sticker that I would typically put on a 3rd grade paper that says "REDO and RETURN" on PLAAFPs but I'm so tired of horrible work.

Is it wrong for me to think that ideally if a kid moves that his IEP should tell the other school district exactly what he was getting, so I require a description of the related services and statements that describe what circumstances a kid goes to BIC.

I guess not everyone can be wrong and I'm too demanding, but good lord do your jobs.

VENT OVER

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2013

People without a special ed background might not know what kind and depth of information you're looking for. Maybe you could find a way to offer support, examples, PD, or something instead of just getting angry about it. Just an idea.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2013

I agree with Caesar...but I also l know some teachers sadly just, well, suck. I've been really tempted to buy that WTF?! stamp floating around the Internet to use when working with colleagues. ;)

5. kevo2005

kevo2005 Companion

Oct 11, 2013

These are all special Ed teachers.

I have provided examples, created check lists, given copies of grade state standards, offered to help them write them.

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2013

They were just too used to doing the bare minimum for way too long. Honestly, if they have no plan to actually deliver an individualize program then putting that much time in a document that is just put together for procedural compliance, they just don't care.

Also, the more vague the document, the easier it is to provide anything and have it defensible.

Are you wrong for the students? Absolutely not. Will you continue to have problems with the other teachers and possibly the administration. Absolutely. Why pin down something in a document when that means you must actually adhere to it?

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2013

I cringe to think of what my IEPs and PLAAFPs look like from my first year of SpEd. But I know that if you were to read through my later ones you can see the difference. I don't think you're in the wrong for expecting standards based IEPs that are measurable. It is your job to make sure that they are.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2013

And this really is key...it's your job to make sure things are right. If they don't like the "return to sender" situations, they will learn to do what it is necessary. And I don't mean that in a mean way, but they really will learn what makes a solid, effective, legal IEP.

9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2013

How do most of you measure academic goals? I find there are goals that may be deemed measurable, but if you look closely, they can be easily manipulated. For example, it is common in our district to use test and quiz scores to measure most academic goals.

Do you mind the slight change in topic OP?

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2013

Most of our goals are written that a student will do a certain concept x out of x amount of times. So the measures would come from test and quiz scores but also through classwork and observing during instruction.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 12, 2013

My goals were typically written something like, "When presented with a minimum of five addition problems with two or more addends to the ten-thousands place, Billy will correctly solve a minimum of 80% of the presented problems with no adult support in 4 out of 5 opportunities, as measured quarterly."

My Present Levels were always long. I tried to document exactly what a student could do, in what context, and how much support he/she generally needed. My administrators constantly told me that my present levels were longer than any other SPED teachers they had, and my goals more specific, but by writing them that way, there was very little question of exactly what I was expecting the student to do. The only area that was ever difficult for me was writing. I hated doing writing goals and present levels.

12. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 12, 2013

I swear to you that this is the truth.

I once got an IEP from a neighboring county that had the following statement as the Present Level of Performance for a reading goal: He can't read.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 12, 2013

LOL... that reminds me of one transfer IEP I had to deal with... "student has been retained twice. Student significantly below grade level. Student not making progress."

Total service time... 15 minutes. A month. /facepalm.

14. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2013

I can pick out many ways to manipulate each measurement in the above goals. So while they are measurable, are they really meaningful?

15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 12, 2013

This is a problem I often have. I try to write my goals very specifically so that it is clear exactly how I plan to measure them. When I get a student with goals written by someone else, however, I can think of many different ways in which I could measure them. As you said, this really makes the data comparison from one teacher to the next really meaningless.

16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 12, 2013

I don't think it's possible to write a goal with absolutely no method of manipulation, but it's possible to write goals where it is plain to see the expectations, even if you manipulate them around for some purpose. With the goal I showed, if you really wanted to screw with the kid, you could give him a sheet with 20 addends. If you wanted the kid to meet the goal, you could just intentionally not collect data and only collect "good" examples, or you could give him a multiple choice test where only one answer choice was in the same zipcode, or even have every addend be rounded to the leading digit. I don't know how you'd be able to write a "cheat-proof" goal though.

17. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2013

No, you can't fully cheat-proof. I liked your comment about no adult support. Part of my question was to think about how students are taught in class and how it can be allowed with the measurable goal.

For example, if you don't use the word independently, peer-help or teacher assistance can be used to obtain the measurement. I liked seeing no adult support because that is a common way that student's measurements are manipulated even if it isn't for malicious reasons just sympathy.

Another classroom procedure used is reviewing just prior to a quiz or test. I mean in the 10 minutes before. It sure helps the score but the reality is that students won't have people reviewing for them at other times. They have to know how to do the work.

I'm thinking even more about goals for reading comprehension where the students have the chapters read TO them. The teacher talks about the chapters and then a quiz is given. How can this be measuring reading comprehension? Also, how can a test on a novel that was read and discussed be a measure of independent student reading comprehension?

I think we really need to think when we do have measurable goals, will they really be meaningful. Should I take that measurement when I just went over how to do double digit multiplication and put kids in groups to work together? Or even if it was independent, does doing it immediately following the explanation show mastery? I think not, but many will use this as proof of a positive measurement.