Am I worrying too much?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CowlyHole, Aug 13, 2018.

1. CowlyHole

CowlyHole Rookie

Aug 13, 2018

Here it is, the middle of August. We have almost exactly three weeks until public school starts here.
    I've had a bunch of public school interviews and private school interviews. Thus far nothing has turned up.

On Thursday I had an interview (very spur of the moment) and I feel as if it went swimmingly. It lasted an hour. It felt more like a conversation. She told me I was engaging. It's for a fifth grade teaching position. I would absolutely love to work there the class sizes are small and all that nice stuff and I really agree with the purpose of the whole school.
    Originally she said I'd hear back Friday. Then Friday she told me today. I called her today and she seemed annoyed (but maybe I'm just being paranoid) and said that more people came out of the woodwork to be interviewed. Does that mean I for sure didn't get it?

I have another two interviews tomorrow (one public and one private) and there's a job fair where they're hiring on the spot on Friday. I also tutor at this place that also does homeschool and the owner said that she would love to have me work there.. The problem there is the pay. If she gets an extra theth students I can swing it.

I'm just wondering.. Should I be worried about that first interview? And should I be worried that I haven't gotten anything yet? Help :(

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2018

Stop worrying about that first interview and focus on the opportunities ahead of you. Worry is a wasted emotion. Youve contacted the P- let it be now. You’ve got other interviews to start plannng for- go out and knock out those!

bella84 and MrsC like this.
  4. CowlyHole

CowlyHole Rookie

Aug 13, 2018

Hopefully something plan out. It's just stressful waiting.
    One of my interviews tomorrow told me I could bring lesson plans if I had any. I've never taught middle abouts before so I don't have any lessons. Would that look bad if I didn't bring anything?

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 13, 2018

I would bring whatever you have. I don’t think the grade level matters as much as can you plan an appropriate lesson. They will be looking for how you executed it.

6. CowlyHole

CowlyHole Rookie

Aug 13, 2018

I was looking on my Google Drives just now. I don't have anything. Everything was attached to my school email address and I no longer have that.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 13, 2018

Make new ones. If an interviewer mentioned it, I’d be reinventing the wheel if necessary. Recreate what you had before. Then make them better.

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2018

That brings up another point: back up your files to a personal account. I uploaded my entire folder from school to my home Drive. I’ve already had a colleague contact me for a lesson.

bella84 and BioAngel like this.
  9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 14, 2018

YES! If you (anybody reading this) knows that they will be leaving a location, talk to who ever runs your IT dept and get a date on when you will lose access to your account. You can either buy a cheap external drive (you can buy a 1TB (more than enough space) external drive at Walmart for $20) or create your own Google Drive account and copy everything over there for free.

As for this interview, be at peace - if it is meant to be, it will be. Keep going to your other interviews though. At my current job, my principal at the time delayed getting back to me by 3 weeks because it was vacation time and then they had a lice breakout in the school. August is a busy month - she is probably under a lot of stress right now making sure everything is in place, so don't take it personally.

I hope you hear from her soon :)

10. CowlyHole

CowlyHole Rookie

Aug 14, 2018

As far as my lesson plans I will definitely do that this time, last time was my first time teaching though so I had no idea I would lose access (ignorant I suppose).

I didn't get that first job. She said my interview went very well and I will do well as a teacher, but they hired someone with five years of experience.

But while I was at work today, the principal from the first school I interviewed with today called. My husband took the call (I had my calls forwarded to his phone because I can't have it on me) and I was told to call back tomorrow.
    I feel like they hardly ever call back if you didn't get it. Obviously I'm being optimistic, but I can't tell you how many times I've been told I'd hear back regardless only to hear nothing.
    I'm hoping that one is a yes.
    I'm going to call first thing tomorrow because I have an interview at nine and another at one so it would be nice to know if I still need to go to those or not.

Fingers crossed!

11. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Aug 15, 2018

I was really concerned about the Canadian dollar because I just bought a new external drive for all of my teaching stuff, but realized this link was just for a case. Phew.

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 15, 2018

Until you have a signed contract in your had and all of the HR stuff is done, keep interviewing. Don't stop because you get an offer. Sometimes things sour as the HR process happens. There are things that can happen along the way. It may be rare, but it isn't worth missing a different opportunity because you counted a chicken.

13. CowlyHole

CowlyHole Rookie

Aug 15, 2018

I got the job!!!

14. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2018

Congratulations! :thumbs:

15. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Aug 16, 2018

Cowly,

Do tell grade/subject!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  16. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 16, 2018

Make sure you are on the sub list for this school. That way, they can see you in action.

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 16, 2018

Holy Cow, CowlyHole! Congratulations!

18. CowlyHole

CowlyHole Rookie

Aug 16, 2018

Thank you, everyone!
    It is middle school (not sure which grade yet) English. I am beyond excited as I have wanted to teach middle school for years!
    Now I'm not quite sure where to begin. I want to start planning and getting procedures and stuff like that in place, but I won't be told what I'm teaching until the 22nd when all teachers return.

19. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 17, 2018

Congrats!