Am I too old to go back to school to get my bachelors in Education/Teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AnnieC, Feb 28, 2015.

1. AnnieC

AnnieC Rookie

Feb 28, 2015

I am turning 24 years old in March and only have around 20 accepted credits from my prior college which apply to my A.A. So, I still have around 3-4 years to go to complete everything else, I suppose.
    Recently, I decided to go back to school and considering getting my bachelors in education, specifically with a degree in teaching. Perhaps, even a masters..

Had I done as planned straight out of high school, I would have already finished my bachelors by now or soon but due to personal reasons I wasted a lot of time. I am currently engaged and considering having kids no later than 26 years old. I want a career and still have time to raise a family. I know it's all possible, just trying to find the right path.

I feel a little down because all my friends already have their degrees completed,or have kids.. I feel like I wasted 4 years moving around,decision making that now I am behind.

I know teachers come in all ages, that's the beauty of education there truly isn't a limit to teach..

If I were to calculate time, I would be finished with my studies from here to probably until I am 28-29 years old. These weren't my plans, but hey.. things happen. And I surely do want to finish college/university.

I am starting community college this year in the summer finishing my A.A then transfer to a university to get my bachelors. Does this sound like a good plan, should I continue with it?

p.s. Hope no one takes this personal, I am not referring to the age itself more towards wanting to complete the degree and raise kids all at once. I should have added "late" rather than old, then again it's never too late..

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 28, 2015

I completed my teaching certification when I was 33, so I would say absolutely not too old. Good luck and stick around the forum for advice and collaboration!

4. AnnieC

AnnieC Rookie

Feb 28, 2015

Catnfiddle,

thank you for your response :)
    I know age wise, there really isn't ever a too old especially with teaching. I guess, I am just a lost because I would like to have kids,a career etc all at once and seeing how all my friends already have those things and here I am going back to school just feel a little behind.

But, will stick around the forum for further advice! :)

5. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Feb 28, 2015

Of course not. You are so young!

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 28, 2015

No, you are not too old. You are still very young. A mentor teacher of mine went to get her bachelor's degree and started teaching at 34. Five years later, she was the district teacher of the year.

7. CTSpaEngTeach

CTSpaEngTeach Rookie

Feb 28, 2015

I started my B.A. at forty, and I am close to completing my M.Ed. at 46! Are you too old, at 24, to get a degree in education? Umm...no. We need to break free from societal norms and mental schemata that determine that we have to do certain things at a certain age or we are somehow less worthy or whatnot.
    I wish I had done what I did at your age, but it is what it is. I didn't do it then, so I did it when I did it and I would not change it for the world.
    Good luck!!!

8. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Feb 28, 2015

Let's see, where was I at 24 at this time? I was pregnant with my first (I have 2) but before I realized that I wasn't born to be a computer programmar. By 25 I did figure out that it's teaching that appeals to me. By 28 I finished Masters in early childhood education, had my second child right after that.

I'm 37 now, I figured out that I cannot be a preschool teacher, regular classroom teacher or a special education teacher. I'm considering now should I go and get certified in ESL teaching or stay substitute for the rest of my life :)

Meanwhile, I'm using all the experience that I got over the years to deal with my kids' academic needs or difficulties and teach some things to them at home.

My advice to you, AnnieC, don't look at when others had their babies or their degrees. It would only make you worried and tense as a mother and a teacher.

9. AnnieC

AnnieC Rookie

Feb 28, 2015

Thank you all for your replies!
    In the end, I know it's never too late. For some reason I've always felt life is passing me by and I have to hurry up, but I am going back to school soon and that is the very first and most important step regardless of anything else.

it's all possible, just have to stay dedicated :)

10. CTSpaEngTeach

CTSpaEngTeach Rookie

Feb 28, 2015

Just curious: why is it that you say that you can't be any of those things? Does it have anything to do with the profession itself and how it sees people over 30? Is there a bigger chance of NOT being hired as those if you are 37? I ask because I am in my forties and I am gunning to be an ECE teacher. If it's something personal that only applies to you, I apologize for the question; feel free to ignore it.

11. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 28, 2015

You're 24.

You can get a degree without any worry as to your age. Employers, at the most, would assume you didn't have the money for college when you were younger and had to save up money for a few years to get a bachelors.

I'm 24. Got my BA in Special Education January 2014.

My brother is 25 (26 this year), he'll get his BA in History Education January 2016.

12. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2015

I think most of the new teachers that filter through my school take most classes online. 24 too old? You are way too young to fret about being too old to do anything. Jump out there and follow your passion.

13. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Feb 28, 2015

oh, it's me and my personality, has nothing to do with age or the professions themselves.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 28, 2015

Ah. Here's the REALLY funny part. I got my teaching certificate at 33 and got married at 34. When I turned 29, I spent the whole day in tears because I knew I was going to be unmarried when I hit 30. When I did turn 30, I was still unmarried but had decided the pressure was officially off my shoulders. When I turned 31, I started a long-distance relationship with a quiet geophysics student who became my Rockhubby.

All things in their time. Who knows what might work out for you?

15. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 28, 2015

Nope! Go for it!

I just got my MAT and there were plenty of career changers getting certified to teach.

16. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Mar 1, 2015

You are ten years younger than you will be in ten years. The sooner you (we) decide to do what we want, the sooner we deal with the fears and the joys!

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 1, 2015

AnnieC, all the timetables in the world are only projections of what we hope will happen in the future.

Kids could come in nine months, or you may find it takes over ten years to accomplish that goal. For some, children never arrive.

You have some college credit, so build on it. Go to school in the summers, carry heavy course loads, if you can, take some CLEP exams if possible to earn credits for things you may already know. Look around and see that there are endless possibilities that you can't foresee or predict with any accuracy. You CAN enroll for courses over the summer. You CAN see if the CLEP exams can benefit you. You CAN look into online courses that can be transferred in for your undergraduate.

Life is seldom a straight, unwinding road. You CAN procrastinate until you see your future without possibilities, or you CAN start doing something that will put you in a position where you don't see yourself as "too old" at the age of 24 to chase a dream.

Age will arrive, if you are lucky, and there is no stopping that, but your projections and timelines are useless, honestly, because there are too many variables that we can't see from the current position.

Do nothing, and you will be posting about a wasted life down the line.

Do something, and you may do the same, but in your heart you will know it occurred despite your sincere efforts to create a better tomorrow.

Find something to believe in, find a way to finance the future you want, and then start the journey. I believe the quote is "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

18. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2015

Let's see. I was also 24 and had completed about 20 units of college at that point in time.

Many of my friends had also completed their degrees or had kids. I had just gotten out of the military.

Oh, and at 30 I was unmarried.

No, 24 is not too old to start a degree, and 30 is not too old to start teaching. Heck when I first got hired at as teacher at 32 I was still one of the youngest teachers in my school.

19. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Mar 1, 2015

Go for it!

I'm 27 and I just graduated with my BS in Education (after having spent 6.5 years in college!!). I'll be in my 30's by the time I complete my master's, but age isn't important. My mom went back to college at 40 to become a nurse.

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 1, 2015

I expected the poster to be in his/her fifties or sixties from the title.

21. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 1, 2015

We can plan all we want, but our goals don't always happen in the timeline that we expect. I thought I would be married right out of college (didn't happen), have a few kids right away (don't have any yet), and instead I married my husband when it was the right time for us (we've been married for about 4 years now- we were married at the age of 26) and I'm sure we will have a child when it is the right time for us to grow our family. Honestly, while I can be pretty stressed out over my job, I'm enjoying having 130+ children to teach. My love for my students has been fulfilling that need to have a child, although I do realize it will be different when we decide to have our own and since I'm turning 30-years-old this year (in April) I'm aware that we might want to start thinking about having a child sooner rather than later.

You're in your 20's - you have plenty of time to figure things out and set new goals for yourself if you want to.

22. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Mar 1, 2015

AnnieC, I think in teaching especially if you stay young at heart, it doesn't really matter how old you are.

When I went to high school and was new there I often had to point to my ID when they mistook me for a student :)

23. Rox

Rox Cohort

Mar 2, 2015

I, too, planned to have children by the time I was 26. That turned into a 5 year endeavor, that finally resulted in my twins through IVF. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to plan out your life, but life does throw curveballs and we just have to roll with them.

24. Ms.Nalyn

Ms.Nalyn New Member

Mar 4, 2015

You are never too old! My aunt just got her first teaching job and she's in her 60s.

25. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 5, 2015

:yeahthat: "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray . . ."

Live long enough, and you can throw in Murphy's Law for good measure on a regular basis, and it makes you wonder what we do control! We can educate ourselves and acquire as many skills as possible, to make us ready for what life WILL throw at us; this equips us with the necessary skill sets, resiliency, and strength to meet life head on.

Rox, congrats on the twins! Not everyone gets such a wonderful outcome, so this is a major accomplishment. :hugs: