Am I the only teacher who hates decorating?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teach42, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Jul 31, 2012

Yes, I've tried that. But the posters all fall down during summer vacation anyway. So I have to put them all back up at some point. They fall down several times during the school year, as well. The rumor is that our school building is too humid, which causes the tape/glue to separate from the walls.

2. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Jul 31, 2012

My day is pretty full, and really I don't have time to do the necessary things that can be done when the students are present. Also, the effective content teaching time was cut to 35 minutes.
    I have had two administrations and their workshops that said decorations were part of teaching or the learning environment. So we had to decorate. We put student work, returned algebra work, student graphs up all over the place in the hallways as well as the classrooms. I have had stuff hanging from the ceilings. But one of those schools had such poor test results that it is out of business, so I don't think all the decorations amounted to much.
    There isn't enough time to do the necessary things, so why would I decorate if it is not necessary? Why would I even take my own time?
    What I used to do before the decorations was to put interactive math/science experiments on the walls, hanging from the ceilings, etc. For example I had balloons all lined up for static electricity experiments. I got compliments. The admin.probably thought I was decorating so they made everyone do it. Once they started making us decorate I pretty much quit believing in the workshops. Also, my experiments never did look quite as nice as other teacher's nicely decorated rooms. I wasn't going to just try to look nice. I still continued the experiments, but didn't make them look pretty. I never did do the balloons again.
    But I think I gave the admin.another thing to use against me. They didn't renew my contract this year.

3. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 31, 2012

I think I'm going to hate it this year. I went in today for the first time full of excitement and I swear, I almost walked right back out. I felt overwhelmed by everything I had to do.

I'm in a different room this year and I'm trying to figure out the room arrangement first. Once I have that done, the walls will be next. One of the main problems, though, is that there are several patches of paint missing from the wall and there's this weird cardboard underneath - I'm in something called a modular, which is similar to a portable. I hate the fact that the patches are going to play a big part in how I decorate my walls. So annoying.

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 31, 2012

I am not a big fan of it either, although I am somewhat of an artsy person. I have kept my posters and decorations pretty much the same the last few years and I think that it has worked out just fine. I have just found that there is really no need to put more time than absolutely necessary into decorating.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

Don't hate me...but I really, really enjoy it! :blush:

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2012

I enjoy planning it, shopping for it, and viewing the finished product. I'm not sure I actually enjoy the part when I'm doing the decorating. But I guess that's life lol.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 1, 2012

I LOVE setting up my room! I don't necessarily "decorate" as previous posters have said, but I love organizing and getting everything freshened up. I like trying new arrangments, finding reminders of previous years and looking forward to the new adventures that will happen. It's fun to create a space for a community that is going to live in it for 10 months.

8. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012

Hate it. Just want it to be done. I am going minimalist this year. Just putting stuff up not worrying about it so much.