Am I the only one...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by smalltowngal, Jun 2, 2009.

1. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

I was in an alternative certification program and subbed at two school districts this year to gain experience. Being in the classroom and trying to fill in for the teacher is a lot better than sitting infront of someone telling you what you the different things about teaching. It helped to figure out how I'm going to be if I ever get hired.

As for being a teacher's aid/assistant, I could go that rout but I opted to do student teaching and finish out my certification to gain even more experience, if I don't get hired this coming school year. The downside is I don't get paid and have to be there for 12 weeks without seeing the green stuff that makes the world go round and round. Bad news for me.....

2. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2009

If I can't find a teaching position for the upcoming school year, I would love to be a teacher's aide, but even those positions are hard to come by since so many certified teachers are vying for those positions as well.

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 7, 2009

It's so true. I am currently an aide "hoping to be a teacher ;)" I am not letting go of this position till I get hired as a FT teacher. In my district they have frozen hiring new subs, unless someone leaves.

4. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jun 7, 2009

I don't think too many certified teachers are vying for a 17K a year job. In our school, with all the aides, assistants, clerks... I was the ONLY one that was certified. Being certified does sometimes work against you, I've been to a couple of teacher assistant interviews recently and they were suspicious of me and asked me questions like if I was also looking for a teaching position, or why i wasn't looking for one. I just wanted a back up incase I didn't find a teaching position, so I wouldn't have to be a aide at my current school, and the principals knew it.

5. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jun 7, 2009

Oh, and they hired someone else for the two aide positions I interviewed for. Probably someone who wasn't certified and would stick around.

6. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Jun 8, 2009

I really hope something good comes your way soon! I had a few interviews in only one district (and thankfully recieved an offer just last week) and I'm positive it was because of my subbing connection. I hadn't heard a word from any of the other districts I applied with. There are just so many in my area looking!

Good luck to you. I'm sure something will come along this summer and I'll be betting it will only take that one interview for you! I'll be praying for a sudden relocation or pregnancy near you soon!!:haha:

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2009

I was really speaking for my region where just about every aide is a certified teacher. The field is very saturated in the Austin area.

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2009

They are hiring preschool teachers here, with the only requirement being a HS diploma and child development permit.
    I feel like I would be overqualified, but the pay isn't bad.
    I haven't decided whether or not to apply. :\

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2009

I'd apply kat.

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 8, 2009

I think that most interviews are going to go on in the summer after the state's get their budget figured out.

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2009

I agree frogger. Frustrating...