Am I the only one...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by smalltowngal, Jun 2, 2009.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2009

who hasn't even had an interview yet? I'm happy for those that have gotten interviews and jobs out of those interviews. But I feel so alone in thinking I'm the only one that hasn't interviewed yet. I know last year there were some late interviews for me. I'm hoping its the same this year. I've even expanded my search to include districts an hour away, even though I don't want to do that since it'll make it harder to be there for my daughter in her first year at school.

Anyone else?

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

I have been unemployed since Nov., and just had my first interview last week. "They" said they would call finalists for a 2nd round of interviews. I always get a 2nd interview, except this time. I just opened an extended claim with the employment office, and have until Oct. 09. Thank goodness my husband is still working.

4. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jun 2, 2009

i havent either =( but i do know others who are looking in my area and havent as well. so im hoping its just that this are is taking longer to do it this year! last year i didnt get an interview until july but yeh im definetely getting worried..

5. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 2, 2009

I haven't had an interview either but I'm just hoping the local private school job works out too. I don't think they'd need to interview me since I feel like I'm already known there from substituting there.

I encourage everyone to look at private schools since they might not be as competitive right now. It varies though but that's where I'm most interested this year.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2009

All I have had so far this year is a 20 minute screening interview, STG and I'm worried that I won't get any school specific interviews this year, but I'm trying to remain positive (though it's hard). I just recently dramatically increased my radius of where I'll apply (anywhere within about two and a half hours of where I am now and I'll move to be closer to the job), so I'm applying to a lot more districts and continuing to mail out resumes and cover letters to all the principals in the area(as long as the districts allow it).

If after all of this I still can't find a job, I'll have to decide if it's worth it to sub next year (I just started subbing recently and don't really like it at all) and hope to get some long term positions or find a full-time job in a different field (which I know will also be difficult, but I would probably be able to get a full-time job where I have a part-time job now). I just want to be able to get my own apartment and won't do that until I have a full-time job with guaranteed income each week, because I don't want to blow through my savings.

7. smalltowngal

Jun 2, 2009

There's a private school within walking distance from me. I haven't applied there yet because of the pay.

8. smalltowngal

Jun 2, 2009

Jessica~I hated subbing this year so didn't do it very often. I hope that by increasing our radius we get more interest.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2009

Hopefully, STG!

10. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jun 2, 2009

I haven't had an interview yet. So far I have applied to 16 school districts and haven't gotten anything. I really hope that any day I get a bunch of calls. I'm trying to think positive, and I am stretching out my distance and trying to fill out an application a day now.

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

Just one and I believe it was a total fluke.

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2009

:hugs: honey! I know of several teachers searching by me who haven't gotten one yet either :(

13. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jun 3, 2009

STG, I have one and I think I'm only getting it (it is tomorrow) because the new P and my current P graduated HS together. It's June already and this will be my first interview. Last year I didn't have any interviews until mid July, so don't give up hope!!!

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 3, 2009

My area is on a hiring freeze right now so I haven't had any yet either. It's going to be a long summer..

15. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jun 3, 2009

ME either!!!!!!!! I have applied to 10 different districts and NOTHING!

HOWEVER - I am a LTS at a middle school 5 minutes from my house, and this morning they posted a job. So I rush to talk to the Principal and he is having me meet with the Dept. Chair today and him tomorrow afterschool! The AP said she would talk to him about me too, I am so psyched!!!!!

16. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

I've only had one. And they are putting off the decision until this week. I can't figure out why no one is calling besides no connections because we haven't lived here very long. I feel like I look great on paper, too. I have 6 years of experience (so good enough to make experienced, but not enough to be really expensive to a school system). I have a Master's from a good out of state university that puts out a lot of research in my subject area. My resume and cover letter are good (My sister used to be an editor and Mom's a former teacher and they have read, critiqued and approved them.).

I feel like such a loser that I see just out of school people interviewing and getting job when I can't even get people to acknowledge my existence! I've told lots of people that I was looking trying to make connections and now I'm kinda embarrassed to see these people. They don't know how hard it is so probably think I'm crazy.

I've sent individual letters and resumes to principals. Nada. Yesterday I expanded my search and applied to schools farther away.

I can't afford to teach at a private school, either....

You are not the only one. Right here with you.

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2009

Good luck, kalli!

18. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jun 3, 2009

as of yesterday I have applied to 30 schools. and I have heard NOTHING back. last year I felt like i was at least getting postcards in the mail saying they received my application or something! Im just hoping hoping hoping that one of these days the calls will start coming in...

19. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2009

I've only heard back from one school, but I've only been able to APPLY to three districts, because there are just no openings.

The one school that I did hear back from, I had an interview last week, and I hope to hear from them this week.

The first year I taught, I had an interview in September, after school started! I ended up starting Sept. 25. So, there IS still a chance! Just don't give up. I would consider applying to the Private School, even just for the interview experience.

Also, is the pay that much lower? Will you have to pay for daycare for your daughter if you leave an hour earlier and come home an hour later? Gas? If you factor these things in, in addition to the hassle of going an hour away, does it come within the "close" range? Or is it THAT different?

I saw a job for a private school on NJHIRE that was offering $25,000 a year for a high school English teacher. I thought it was a mistake!

20. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jun 3, 2009

STG--me neither! I'm new to this and am only eligible for a probationary cert. However, there are some schools that have had postings up since Feb. they are either not updating or just not interviewing yet.
    Here the school year is just ending, so I'm hoping they are just busy with year end stuff. SIL (teacher) says to stay positive and most of the interviews are done in June and July after school is out. I've also heard that current teachers that are planning to resign won't resign until after school is out if they are planning to teach summer school. Who knows???
    Stay positive!!!

21. smalltowngal

Jun 3, 2009

teachersk~DD will be going to school next year so no daycare expenses there. In reality, I could walk to the school. I'll apply there and see what comes of it.

I'm trying to stay positive. By this time last year, I had 2 interviews, with 2 more coming in August. I'm hoping that more will come in June/July.

22. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Jun 3, 2009

Don't feel bad - I haven't had any interviews yet, either. Of course, in my area, many of the schools wait until the summer to do their hiring so I still might have some time.

Even so, this will be my 3rd year looking for a permanent position.

23. smalltowngal

Jun 3, 2009

3rd year here too flutetoot.

24. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2009

I've only had one and afterwards they said they seriously doubt there will be any openings. The other district near me said "first I need to rehire the 95 pink slipped teachers, and I dont see that happening soon!" There is another opening I have applied to, no interview scheduled yet, but there is hope!!

25. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

I only had one, and I think that's only because I am already in the district. I applied at one, and a week later, they took down the posting without acknowledging they had heard from me. It's such a downer! I'm about to look at private schools around and see what's up there.

26. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Jun 3, 2009

STG I'm right here with you. I'm entering my second year of the job search and have absolutely no interviews. (Ouch.) I've been reading this board religiously and trying everything I can to increase my network of teachers I know. I've been combing both private and public schools for any jobs and have applied to so many my head spins. I've been subbing for surrounding districts and am adding a new district next year if I can't find anything over the summer.

I would just appreciate it if schools would either send out mass emails or make a posting on their website when interviews have been completed or candidates have been chosen. I hate making the calls to principals offices and hearing the pity in the secretary's voice as she explains that they've already chosen someone.

I hate this.

27. smalltowngal

Jun 3, 2009

lindy~I hate the pity voice too. Hopefully this will be our year.

txteach~I just emailed the private school here so we'll see if they email back, and what they say.

28. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

No you aren't the only one. I haven't had any interviews either. I am going to a job fair and hoping I get some interviews and an offer off of it.

29. green78

green78 Companion

Jun 3, 2009

A lot of people are telling me it is still early. I hope so bc I really need a job for next year.

30. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 3, 2009

I've had two, but neither worked out. One interview never even happened because the teacher that was leaving to be a SAHM got freaked out over not having a job and decided to stay. The second interview was disappointing. It was a private school mins. from my home. Went through the first two rounds and knew they wanted me for a 3rd and final round. Come to find out it was a part time job (they had made it sounds full time up until then) and the pay was several thousand below what I make now. We couldn't afford a pay cut like that, so I had to bow out of the final interviews. I never imagined trying to get back into the classroom would be this tough!

31. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

I have had 3, that haven't worked out. I don't know what is more frustrating, not being called for an interview-or being teased by being invited for an interview only to find out "too many people applied" or it was already given away in the first place. Ugh..

32. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 5, 2009

Zero, nada, zip, zilch. I had extended my job search as far as it could go last year. Unfortunately there is nothing to be had here. I know I would at least get an interview in the district I currently aide in, if it weren't for the fact that there are NO openings. Last year I had one interview and it was at the end of July. So, hopefully that will be when positions open up and I will get a shot(or else I may need to go drink a few). Here's to another summer tied to my computer and phone in hopes that something will pop up. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

33. smalltowngal

Jun 5, 2009

Nice to see you again on the boards, jw!

34. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 5, 2009

hahaha...school is out. It's time for everyone to get sick of me on atoz again ;)

35. smalltowngal

Jun 5, 2009

:lol: jw!

36. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jun 5, 2009

I have a LTS job right now, but my contract is terminated on our last day of school. So far, I have no idea if I'm going to be in this school, let alone the district, next year even though I know there are plenty of openings. The HR office in this district screwed me over so badly last year that I'm really scared that there will be a repeat occurrence. There haven't been any elementary job postings in my local district, so obviously no interviews with them, either.

Sigh... hopefully I have a job next year!!

37. Mommatothebear

Mommatothebear Rookie

Jun 5, 2009

jw- where in IL are you located? There's nothing to be had here, so I'm wondering if we're nearby! LOL

38. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jun 6, 2009

I've applied to 30 school districts and been to 7 job fairs and subbed at two school districts. Nothing has happened.

39. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jun 6, 2009

I've applied to about 15 school districts and individually applied to TONS of positions. I had an interview this week! They called me back to present a lesson next week, I'm nervous but excited about the possibility.

This time around, I'm certified in many different areas, so I know I'll definitely get a bite... I have to, not being hired this summer is NOT an option.

For those who don't have any experience, have you thought of being a teacher assistant? I am a teacher assistant, the pay is terrible, but you get great experience and it's salaried with the same benefits as teachers.

I did an ACP program which makes things a little more difficult. But I will be fully certified after I get hired this summer *being positive*

40. smalltowngal

Jun 7, 2009

darlibby~good luck!!

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 7, 2009

Hugs and hugs to you all.