Am I the only one who had a bad first day?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by mayobebe, Aug 14, 2006.

1. mayobebe

mayobebe Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

:( My first day teaching 3rd and 4th graders just was totally exhausting and frustrating. Let me just say that the kids were sweet, but they were so hyper and so, well, disrespectful! I feel like I spent the whole day trying to quiet the class. A totally quiet class was unheard of. I'm lucky if there was just a dull hum of voices.

I went over procedures and rules and respect. I just feel like I failed. I had such good intentions and was so excited about teaching, but I feel so upset right now.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who had a rough start!!

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2006

I did not have a first day at all... so consider yourself one step ahead. You have a job.

You had an average day I would say. It sounds like it went well. If you didn't feel exhausted you were doing something wrong. Just keep enforcing those rules and being consisitent. It takes I think 28 ( not sure) days to form a habit. That's what you are trying to do- teach good habits.

I have faith. You'll be fabulous!!!!!

4. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 14, 2006

you know, i am pretty easy going. i dont mind talking (hell, i do it enough) i dont think students should raise their hand before going to the bathroom (i seriously dont need all that information) just sign out. that kind of thing.
    saying that...my classes have always been loud. wether i was student teaching, practicum, or subbing, my classes are loud.
    i dont like to yell, just like i never liked to be yelled at. i find standing in front of the room is a more effetive way to quiet down classes, and if they are younger, i whisper.
    i agree with miss frizzle, you have to get them into a routine. those quiet classes didnt get that way overnight!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2006

At the beginning of the year (especially the first day) the students are nervous and excited and that usually translates into talking! I think that if you managed a "dull hum" you did great! Like SpecEdTeacher, my classes are almost never totally quiet; students learn from talking with each other about what they are doing. On-task conversation is exciting; I learn so much about my students from listening. Hang in there and try to get lots of sleep!

6. mayobebe

mayobebe Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Thanks guys; that really is helpful and makes me feel a lot better. Today is going much better so far (I'm at lunch) so it probably was their first day jitters too. Besides, I think I was overreacting a bit yesterday - just recently found out I am pregnant, so I think my hormones were getting the best of me! :p

I look forward to getting more advice from you guys throughout the year!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2006

Congratulations! All the more reason to be sure to take care of yourself!

8. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Aug 16, 2006

My first day was Tuesday and it was horrid! It was very disorganized (not just me but the school as a whole) and then to top it off, it started pouring rain 5 minutes before school let out. So, of course, all the kids freaked out and the bus schedule was screwed up. But today was soooo much better. And I don't think it was first day nervousness so much as first day chaos.

9. Miz_Sanders

Miz_Sanders Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

I'm a first year, first grade, first day teacher (that's a lot of firsts, ha) and I felt today was totally horrid. I feel the same way, they didn't listen to the rules and procedures, were constantly talking, and constantly asking when it was time to go to lunch/recess/home/specials. I am hoping that it was just me over reacting and the first day chaos and jitters for all of us. We will see how tomorrow goes and pray that it goes better! :)

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2006

First grade is especially difficult. Keep practicing those rules and procedures and don't stop. You will have a great year when they get all the routines going.

11. gardeenia

gardeenia New Member

Aug 17, 2006

Im a new teacher too. I have one-year experience only in teaching teenagers.And now, I'm going to teach kg classes. I need some information on how to act with those kids.
    thanks.

12. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Aug 18, 2006

I aways look at it this way... those kids are probably going home exhausted too. Most students and many teachers don't sleep well the night before. The first day is emotional, busy, and bound to be somewhat "unroutine". Continue to remind students of your expectations and be patient but firm. Model everything! And try to keep a sense of humor.

13. Mr.G

Mr.G Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

I look at it this way. It's not the 1st day that has to be good, but the 2nd day, and the 3rd day. These are really the days that the kids will test you. If you show that you won't give up, eventually they will fall in line. It may take till May, but eventually they will do it.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 18, 2006

Heavens, no! :D Though I wish my students would start showing more quiet now, it's still SO early in the year. I think about this year's class... and I enforce my students to work at a respectful volume... and guess what, they're glorified third graders who call themselves fourth graders... so it'll take at least a month to get them to begin seeing themselves as respectful entirely!

Now for the first day question. I would say that out of 3 years of teaching, this year's first day ranked 2nd place. It was my first class who really listened with the greatest of respect of all. This year's bunch also listened and followed procedures, though they looked exhausted. On the other hand, I had a very poor day on Wednesday (the fifth day of school), where they seemed to have forgotten all their procedures... and I heard "SHHHH!" "Be quiet!" "Shut up!" (glorified third grade garbage talk, I call it... that gradually gets thrown to the wayside as the year moves on). I was so upset that day, yet yesterday and today were like a symphony orchestra because I was HOPEFUL. I just put the best of effort into everything. I used a LOT of what I have learned from the incredible book Teaching With Love and Logic.

So, simply stated... don't lose hope. You'll do awesome. Just be firm with them and vary what you do.

15. allwright

allwright New Member

Aug 19, 2006

What is "Teaching with Love and Logic" about, I need a new idea for the challenging class I have now. I have never heard of it.