Am I the only one who doesn't have a job for next year yet?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gazing_iscariot, Jun 4, 2008.

1. gazing_iscariot

gazing_iscariot Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

Congrats to everyone who's gotten job offers lately! I have yet to even go on an interview, even though I've gotten an awesome letter of rec. from my current principal (I'm currently an assistant going through ACP), experience subbing and as an aide for the last year. I've applied everywhere.

I think there were some issues with my resume - so I totally revamped it and reuploaded it to all the sites I originally applied to.

I'm just feeling so desperate, what am I doing wrong? :(

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jun 4, 2008

I'm right there with you.

I had a limited-term position this year. I've been on three interviews, but nothing yet. My latest one was this week, so I'm still hoping.

There just aren't a whole lot of jobs in my area.

You know what? There might be NOTHING wrong with your resume. Unfortunately in times of few jobs for teachers it is often WHO you know. They get so many resumes that you have to stand out somehow, and often that is if they have heard your name before!

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 4, 2008

Don't lose hope! I hit rock bottom yesterday. I felt so overwhelmed (with my situation) that I couldn't stop crying, couldn't sleep... And today I got an offer.

Here is a tip: Make them see or hear your name at least 3 times. E-mail your cover letter and resume, then mail it the next day, then call or e-mail a couple days later to see that they got it.

Persistence pays off!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 4, 2008

Unless you count the usual per diem subbing work, I don't have a job either... yet. Good idea to reload updated information.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2008

I'm right there with you. I've sent out I don't know how many resumes, emailed numerous principals, called to follow up, and etc. I have been on one interview, one. You just have to have faith that your job is out there, and you have to have patience.

7. drapes330

drapes330 Companion

Jun 4, 2008

Oh, I'm with you! I was so excited a few weeks ago because I got an interview for a job I hadn't even formally applied for. The director was a former professor of mine, so I was hoping she had recommended me- it all seemed so promising!...but I didn't get it and I haven't heard anything from any other districts either. Sigh. Hang in there!

8. gazing_iscariot

gazing_iscariot Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

smalltowngal - where in tx are you? I'm in Ft. Worth.

9. Tolentine Grad

Tolentine Grad Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

I agree totally. In fact, the principal I interviewed with today actually said to me, "thank you for being persistent." They get so many resumes, so I made myself standout. I emailed, she emailed, arranged to meet and it fell through so I took packet to school for her then she emailed. etc etc. Then we finally met today and got an on spot offer!:2up: NEVER give up hope (and efforts).

10. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 4, 2008

You can add me to the club. No interviews, no job! :(

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2008

Don't have a job either, but I stopped looking for now. I decided to go back to school and get a science credential.

12. smalltowngal

Jun 4, 2008

I PM'd you.

13. gazing_iscariot

gazing_iscariot Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

I think I'm going to email (again) my resume and cover letter to the school's in the district I work for w/ the positions that I've applied for. There's 7 open positions (according to the job manager - they haven't been closed yet)... and maybe I still have a chance.

I'm just getting really discouraged. I work for an elem. school and the principal said today that if I had my certification in elem. she'd hire me in a minute (my cert.'s in 8-12). She's called and emailed a principal at one of the high school's and he just ignored it.

14. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Jun 4, 2008

I haven't gotten a job or interview

I was very relieved to see this post. It is nice to know that there are other people out there who are in the same boat I am in. Sometimes I feel like the school district's think that I am great as a sub because I will come in on short notice and do just about any job, but not good enough to hire as a real teacher. I have been looking for several years and even relocated to a much larger metro area hoping for the best. No luck. I have been applying but not one single interview yet!

Mldouglas

15. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 4, 2008

No Job yet! Three Job Interviews coming up and a JOB fair on Saturday. . .so I hold out hope. . .

16. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

No job for me either. I'm an ACP candidate in San Antonio TX currently looking. I went to a screening interview yesterday and was invited to an "invitation-only" job fair for the school district. I have a job fair to go to on Friday, Tuesday (invite only) and the 17th. Hoping to find something...

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2008

I'm still looking also. I just have to keep reminding myself that there is still quite awhile before school starts and I am finally starting to get some responses; I had a pre-screening interview today that went really well and I have a phone interview on Friday and next weekend I have a job fair. It's so tough to keep on waiting, but hopefully it will be worth the wait for everyone and we will find the perfect jobs.

18. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 4, 2008

Nayelismom I pm'd you.

19. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 4, 2008

Have no fear...I don't have a job either, and have been looking like a maniac for months now. I've started to look at private schools though, so hopefully I'll have some luck there! Good luck to you. :)

20. colie

colie Companion

Jun 4, 2008

Jessica -

May I ask where the job fair is that you are going to? NYC, Westchester, Rockland, Orange, or north of those areas?

21. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2008

For those in California and states with similar budget processes, there is hope...

Where I am located, most of the districts are holding back based on concern about severe budget constraints and static or declining student populations. So, the job prospects have been pretty slim so far this year. That said, I have had interviews, offers of interviews, and the offer of a job. The offer I took came about because of the retirement of two teachers at a school. So, at least some baby boom teachers are beginning to retire opening up jobs for aspiring teachers.

Hiring almost invariably picks up in August. Although by State law the districts are supposed to have completed there budgets by now, they really haven't really. They had to rely on estimates of what State funding would be. But they won't actually know how much money they will be getting from the State until the State budget is signed and it hasn't been signed yet. So, they have had to plan based on what information they can get out of Sacramento in light of the dreary State financial information. It appears that at worst, funding will not grow as fast in previous years, but will not be cut except in limited categorial areas. Expect district budgets to be revised upward after the State budget is signed.

The districts around here are also pretty poor about accurately estimating the number of students that will show up and therefore the number of teachers required. They get pretty desperate just before school starts and the first few weeks of the school year.

I was in your boat a year ago. Not much response from school districts during the spring. Started getting bites in July. Got an offer in August. So, hang in there. And if you still have nothing by the start of school, don't dispare. Hiring generally continues into September as schools get their acts together.

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2008

I agree. I didn't get my very first job until October 5.

23. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 5, 2008

You may want to post your resume and cover letter under separate posts and have some additional eyeballs look at them.

It really helped me and I am sure there are tons of people on here that have benefitted from doing so.

Lemon

24. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 5, 2008

How do your districts hire?

In my district, jobs are posted and we have to bid on them. The person with the most seniority who bids gets the job. Period. I have one year subbing and no seniority, so I don't know what will happen yet. But I'm not discouraged because I got a long-term position this year that turned out to be AMAZING!!

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 5, 2008

No job for me yet.

26. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2008

Colie, it's actually a job fair in Maryland. I've pretty much decided that relocation is the best relocation is the best option for me. I haven't really seen too many job fairs in New York, but if I hear about anything I'll tell you.

27. colie

colie Companion

Jun 5, 2008

Jessica,

It seems as though job fairs are uncommon in ny. I've heard of 3, 2 of which were invite only in westchester. I received a call for an interview the 16th for the district i sub in - a leave replacement teacher. Its something though!

28. BackpocketNJ

BackpocketNJ Rookie

Jun 5, 2008

No job for me either. I have had interviews and I have a demo lesson coming up but if that does not work out I'm back to square one.

BPNJ

29. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2008

I am ACP also, a new teacher and I just got my first job, and I think you deserve some words of encouragement :)

My ACP director told me that the majority of districts and schools spend May and June dealing with already working teachers who may be switching schools, moving to different grades, or filling vacancies (which leaves a whole new set of vacancies open). This bureaucratic rearranging takes some time.

A result of this commotion, my director says, is that ACP applicants don't usually get interviews until early July.

So -- here are some more questions to think about.

Where have you sent your resumes? To the district only, or to principals as well? Make sure principals get them too!

How is your cover letter? Have you followed guidelines to make it pertinent, interesting, etc.? I revamped mine and it made a lot of difference.

Who do you know? This helps!!! Networking is for real! Make sure everyone you know in the education biz KNOWS you are looking. They will often give you tips and leads, and pass your name along.

Please don't feel desperate -- it is early days yet. Make sure you keep your name in the minds of the hiring folks (send an e-mail every few weeks, letting them know you are still looking, still interested, etc.).

Best wishes to you and all in the job search!

30. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 5, 2008

No job here either!! I applied to almost 10 different places and did follow up calls. Then I got married and went on a honeymoon and no messages and most of the jobs that I had applied for are no longer on the websites.

There is a current job that I just applied for which is 2nd grade (my ideal) and I am so glad that I called the next day after applying because the system that they were using crashed and they lost ALL of the information. So I had to resubmit everything online. I couldn't get my reference letters to post or my teaching license. So... I was thinking of taking them by either the district's office or school. But is that an okay thing to do? Do I take them to both? Mail them? I have no contacts because we just moved here and the jobs are really limited. It has been so FRUSTRATING and I totally know how you feel! I haven't had any interviews yet either. I'm not sure what my boundaries are and also school is either already our or ending this week so I feel like everyone is probably really really busy.

31. smalltowngal

Jun 5, 2008

MissErin-I would suggest dropping them by the HR dept or whoever deals with online apps. Just explain what happened.

32. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 5, 2008

Thanks! I'm going to try posting them once more today and if they won't attach I will drop them by the district office. Thanks!

33. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 5, 2008

Same situation

I am in the same boat as you. I've been told many times that I'm a great sub, and have had many teachers say that I should get hired. However, the superintendent in the district I work in most seems to have it in for me. I actually had an interview last fall, but someone else was hired (I was specifically asked to apply). On the 13th day of school the teacher they hired quit. They hired a long term sub (not me, who has long termed in the building before, but someone who has never in worked in the building) and ended up hiring her full time. I was so angry!!! I've applied for about 5 jobs so far this spring (not a lot of openings in my area), but so far, no interviews. However, three of the jobs are still accepting applications.

34. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 5, 2008

I know the feeling. I subbed for two years while I was in school. I went through absolute misery to get my position and it's a grade that people don't want. I work in a district that pays less and at a school that people don't want to be at. I did the best job that I could do. All my students passed FCAT and my observations were good. I was even told that I was being renewed but then budgets happened. I was non-renewed and am absolutely terrified that I won't have a job.

35. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jun 5, 2008

Well, I have to leave the throngs that do not have jobs, b/c I was offered one today! It was my thank you note that sealed the deal. When the principal received it today, he knew I was very interested, called my references and called ME. So, send those thank you notes!

36. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jun 5, 2008

Ugh. No job yet here either.

If I don't have a job by August 1st, I'm going to be county-wide sub and quit my job with Head Start. I figure that way at least I'll be in "real" schools....

But I won't get depressed :lol: I'm going to keep a positive attitude :lol:, or at least until they throw a net over me...:p

37. Loretin

Loretin Rookie

Jun 5, 2008

No job here either. I am still no desperate though. I was told that districts hire even after classes have started.

**I am also ACP**

38. missk83

missk83 Companion

Jun 5, 2008

What is ACP? Don't know that we have that where I am.

39. missk83

missk83 Companion

Jun 5, 2008

And I dont have a job either. I graduated in December. Before I was done with my student teaching I was offered a job by my principal as a special education assistant in 2nd grade, but I have not moved up from there as of yet. Jersey is tough right now- I've probably sent out 30+ resumes, and have only had one interview, which did not result in a job. I am so frustrated!

40. smalltowngal

Jun 5, 2008

ACP=Alternative Certification program. Its for those with a bachelor's degree in another field to become teachers w/o having to go through college again.

I feel like I'm the only one in TX w/o a job.

41. missk83

missk83 Companion

Jun 5, 2008

smalltowngal: Are you at a disadvantage by being ACP? Or is there just a major shortage of jobs? Do you sub?