Am I the only one that never had a Meet the Teacher Night growing up?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 1, 2013

I never, ever had a chance to meet my teacher (in eled) before the first day of school. Heck, I don't even think I was ever told who my teacher was until the first day of school! Is this a "new thing?" Even my summer school program has a MtT event...

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 1, 2013

I never had it when I was growing up. I'd know who my teacher was going to be for the next year (it was written on our grade cards), but we never had any "meet the teacher" nights or anything.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2013

I didn't have one either. There was an open house a few weeks after the year started.
    Our report cards had your assignment for the next grade (teacher name), so you knew before the first day.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2013

In middle school we had a registration night where we found out which team we were on and got supply lists. I remember only going once because my parents weren't really "into" that whole thing...

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2013

Never had it, don't have it now...kids get their assignment in August. Most families know who I am.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2013

We never had that. The lists were posted on each teacher's door the first day of school. It was great fun hunting for your teacher. I was so disappointed my last year of elementary school (6th) when some other student told me whose class I was in before I had a chance to check the lists!

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 1, 2013

I never had it as a kid, and my school doesn't have it now. When I was in elementary school, we would get a postcard telling us who our teacher was.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 1, 2013

:agreed:

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 1, 2013

Personally, I think they're a little silly. So much effort goes into getting the room ready for parents (forms, handbooks, transportation info, etc.) only to have (in my experience) 10% of kids show up.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2013

I don't think I had them as a kid but I've had them at all of the schools I've worked at. I've always had almost all of my students and their parents show up for them.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2013

We have a Meet the Teacher Night a couple of weeks after school starts--nothing before then.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2013

Every year around the last week we would find out our new teacher and go to the classroom to meet the new class and the new teacher for a little activity. It was really exciting.

They don't do that at my school now- too many changes over the summer, too many teachers always leaving. Kids find out what class they'll be in, but the teacher's names aren't given. However, since I knew which kids would be in my class and I had my kids come and visit with their teacher for story time. My current students read them letters about what to expect in 3rd grade. It was really cute and really fun. I think it will help the kids feel more comfortable when they start in the fall. It was also really adorable to see my current student explaining all the classroom rules, procedures, etc.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 1, 2013

I never had it as a kid.

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2013

I never had them as a kid. However, the class lists were posted on the school doors about a week before school started, so you knew who your teacher was. My school was very small, so I knew enough about my new teacher before going to class. I also had a couple of teachers that wrote introduction/welcome letters earlier in the summer so you would know who your teacher was that way. We had open house a few weeks after school started.

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2013

This. :)

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2013

We also found out by the posting of the lists on the front door a few weeks before school started. It was such a big thing! Everyone would leave the neighborhood swim club to check the lists, and if you were on vacation, you begged your friend to find a way to call you!

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2013

Pisces, I'm surprised you only get 10%. In my 6 years, I've only had 2 students not show up!

19. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 1, 2013

This.

But never had it as a kid.

20. mailman

mailman New Member

Jul 1, 2013

They would post it on the school doors a few weeks before school started. I remember I would always bug my mom to stop at the school to see if it was up yet!

21. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 1, 2013

Where I grew up, we had back to school night a couple weeks into the school year (I think--it may have been before) but I don't think children generally went. The memories of this are very fuzzy. We had open house later in the year and children did attend that with their parents. Most showed up, but it depends on the area/school and how supportive the families are.

22. SunnyTB

SunnyTB Rookie

Jul 1, 2013

I'm only 20, but the way it worked in my elementary school was kind of strange. Or, at least it was something I had never seen at other schools.

During a designated time period over the summer, usually a full week, you would run by the school and the class lists would be posted on the school door. You would find your grade, then find your name. This way you saw your teacher as well as your classmates.

Our school supply lists were in the local Walmart. You would pick the one for your school and get what was under your grade level's title.

Then you would go to school on a designated day a week or two before the first day of class and drop off the supplies. This way the parents could talk to the teachers and the students could meet the teachers. It wasn't really an open house, just a quick drop-off and hello.

23. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 1, 2013

We have it the Thursday evening before the Monday that school begins. It's the one and only time I see most of my parents.

24. David94

David94 Rookie

Jul 1, 2013

I always had one, but I was in elementary school from 98-04, so I may not be the best example.

25. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 1, 2013

When I was in elementary school, class lists were posted on the doors of the school one week before school started. We met our teachers on the first day of school.

We have Open House, and I really like it. I don't hand out very many things, because I think it's overwhelming and parents don't read it anyway. Families have a 90-minute time period to stop by, find out who their child's teacher is, and drop off supplies. I love that they can bring supplies. I can't imagine if students brought everything the first day of school!

26. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2013

I don't remember having one growing up. I do teach in the same district I went to school. We have one now in elementary, so it's possible we had them when I was a student. The schools always post the lists on the door a few days before, and a lot of families check the lists, but don't go to meet the teacher night.

27. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 2, 2013

Never had one, was in elementary school 1995-2002 (K-6).

We'd get letters in August stating what class we were in.

28. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 2, 2013

I had them growing up every year and vaguely even remember them, but... I know of people who didn't, either. I remember heading off to middle school and being really disappointed I wasn't able to meet my teachers in advance. LOL...

29. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2013

We just had Open House... which, to be honest, is a pain in the butt since it's always held at some point during pre-school week during the day time. Not only is it incredibly inconvenient for most parents to have to take off of work, it's always scheduled BEFORE we've had a day to work in our rooms, so parents aren't exactly seeing our rooms in all of their glory.

We did have some sort of night activity for parents a few weeks into school when I was a kid, but contract negotiations stopped that. I think it's a shame... so much easier for parents to come in the evening.

30. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2013

As I child, I did not. We walked in day 1 and found lists on the door.

My first 6 years teaching, we had 'open house' in late September.
    It was crazy trying to have displays and a clean room.

The past 15 years, it is still called 'open house' but it's in August before students come. It was changed to:
    pass out free school supplies
    parents fill out paper work (this is sort of required before day one)
    fundraiser meal for our parent organization
    students unpack (and open) supplies, sharpen, notice needs :love:
    clubs have stands (boys/girls scouts, intramurals, etc)

31. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

I don´t remember having it when I was in school. My school now does have it, though. My grade is the only grade in elementary that doesn´t actually meet with the students on that day, though. We have a meeting with the parents on the first day so they know what to expect (pre-first is their first year in elementary coming from the kinder section).