Am I the only one that forgot how little they are in Sept.?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by love2teach, Sep 12, 2007.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2007

OMG! They need soooo much help! Does anyone want to take over, get all of the routines set and I will come back sometime in November? :rolleyes:

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2007

I could have posted that exact same thing in the kindergarten forum! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always have selective memory when it comes to the beginning of the year......it is SOOOOOOOOO exhausting!:eek::tired:

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2007

love2teach I know exactly what you mean. I can't wait for another month or so!!!!!!!!!!!

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 12, 2007

YEP! I forget we have to teach them how to do every little thing.

6. maroki

maroki Comrade

Sep 12, 2007

I know what you all mean!! I just want them to know all of the routines and expectations and be able to write on their own...

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2007

Thank goodness!!

8. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 12, 2007

Isn't it so awful! I hate the bathroom, the pencil sharpener, the backpacks, all the busyness in the tote trays, UGH! And just to get them to hold the pencil right! I forgot how much I hate September.
    "Teacher can you cut mine out?" "Teacher, can you fold my paper?"

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2007

I don't answer when my kids call me "teacher".....lol. I said I have a name just like they do and I expect them to use it.:p

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 12, 2007

When my kids call me "teacher," i reply with "stuuuuuudent!!!"

They giggle but call me by my name :)

11. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 12, 2007

August/September are killing me!

12. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Sep 12, 2007

At the end of the first day I told the class to pick up their desk so we could get ready to go home and I had a student (little second grader) pick his desk up off the ground and ask where is he suppose to put it.

13. MissR

MissR Comrade

Sep 12, 2007

Oh, I was feeling yucky today and now I feel a little better after reading this. I just got notice of a new student starting tomorrow and am thinking "if this kid isn't an angel, I don't know if I can take it!"

14. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2007

Ohhhh the bathroom, I can't stand it!! Some of them just do not understand that if there is a person in the bathroom, you can not go, and no, I DO NOT allow a list of people who are going next to form!!

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2007

:2up:I love this thread! I am so busy with the little "no-nothings" it is unreal! We worked on "how to enter a room" this week. Today it was "how to sit in a chair!" I find myself asking them "Where are you going? What are you doing that for? Where should you be? Can you see the sink? Go there. Go there now. Come here, by me. Come here by me. Thank you. Now stand here. Stand right here. This is where you should stand. Right here by me, by my desk. Don't touch my desk. It's mine. Thank you. Stand up. Wait right here. On and on and on! It's a laugh a minute!!! Seriously!!!:lol:

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2007

this is why I can't do the 2s!

Well, at least they can talk!

this is why I can't do the 2 year olds!! they jibber jabber, cry, wet, poop, cry, jibber jabber...and put everything in their mouths. and then, they bite, and cry...

I had an interview yesterday, and one teacher had 15 of them by herself! when I walked around, I had to ask..where was her other teacher? Director told me she was supposed to be in there...

Not good!

I love little ones...but you talk about teaching and doing everything....

2s are walking babies!

:rolleyes:

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2007

That is hilarious!!!!!Sounds like my 4 yr. olds this year.

18. traveler

traveler Comrade

Sep 12, 2007

I think if I didn't laugh I might cry! :lol:

I love them to pieces but... they can drive you nuts. Today I asked if their parents like it when they ask them questions when they are on the phone. I acted like them " mom, mom, moooooom, can I eat this?, mom, can I... mom, Hey mom can I do that, she hit me, Mom she is bugging me, mom!, etc." Everyone one of them said they would get in trouble if the did that.

We are learning... slowly :)

19. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 12, 2007

GrammyTeacher you are a HOOT! I loved it! You said it like I was right there with you man! Hilarious, I can so relate! It will get better, it will get better, we just have to keep up the mantra! he he.:eek:

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2007

Glad you can relate Patti! It's like this all day long!!!

21. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2007

I finally told them today that I was a mommy and I know how big their bladders are and I know how often they have to go potty!!!

22. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Sep 13, 2007

Thank the lord other people are feeling this way! I just begged the 2nd grade teachers to let me have my students from last year back because they already knew my routines. I just keep praying for patience and praying that I don't kill my students. However, they do provide you with food and shelter in prison. Hmmmm... :angel:;)

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2007

Put your shoes on. Leave your shoes on. Go to the bathroom. I know you're alone in the bathroom, but I am not going in with you. Come out of the bathroom now. Are you done? Wash your hands. Use soap. Rinse the soap off now. Dry your hands. Go to the table. Can't you find the table now? It's right there where all the kids are sitting. Sit down now. Sit down now. Put your feet down. Get your coats. Get your coats. Where are you going? Come here. Stand right here. Stand up. Stand up. Are you standing up? Look at me. Stand right here. What's wrong? That's ok. I will fix it. Stand up. Right here, by me. Get a kleenex. THe garbage is over there, by the bathroom door. Throw that away. Wash your hands, with soap. Dry your hands. Come here. Put your shoe back on. Where are you going? Come here. Where are you going?

24. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 13, 2007

You know the funniest thing the kids do is call out teacher, teacher, how do you do _______ when you are up there telling them how to do it. I have this one student in my class where I already hate my name he says it so much, and then wanders the room looking for me even though my rule is "I don't talk to people out of their seats". He so doesn't get it at all yet! At all! He's going to wear me down, really man. He's so darn cute though. They all are. :blush:

25. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Sep 14, 2007

my problem is the playing in the desk thing. "Get your hands out of your desk. Put the pencil down. Don't touch that. Look at me. Don't rip that. Get your hands out of the desk. Answer the question." I think that's all I said today.

However all of mine answer to their name. The Kindergarten teacher has 2 who won't answer to their names "Bobby hold the door. (bobby has no idea you're talking to him) Bobby, you're door holder hold the door. (he still has no idea you're talking at all..) BOBBY (huh? [the student next to him pokes him & he looks at me]) Bobby, I was talking to you. (huh?) Hold. THE. door. (I don't get it). Come here. (what?) Come here. (oh.) Hold this (wha.. huh? OH!)" I did that today with one of her students during our combined special. He does the same thing to her & it's not being naughty.. he just is that spacey!

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 14, 2007

My teacher looked at me when she saw a repeated behavior we struggled with last year and overcame and said, "What? We have to go through this AGAIN???" Hehe. Yep.

27. maroki

maroki Comrade

Sep 14, 2007

I definitely felt this way pretty much this entire week, especially when we did anything that involved more than one step. Today, for example...

Me: "Step 1 is to color your bear. What is Step 1?"
    Students: "Color" or "What is step 1?" or no response

Me: "Step 2 is to glue your bear onto the brown paper. What is step 2?"

Students: "Cut??" or "When do we cut" or "Color"

I just laugh, when I'm not reminding them of our expectations. We spent part of our free choice time practicing walking in a line through the building, since we have been struggling with that. I had one boy who broke out the ROBOT halfway through our walk. I gave him a look, but he didn't stop. I said his name, and he stopped...only to turn sideways and give me a profile view of his robot dance. I just about lost it. :lol:

28. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2007

It seems like the children have never been talked with so they don't understand the art of conversation. You know, taking turns, listening....

We were doing an art project today and I passed out scissors to each child. I said, 'I'm passing out your supplies for our project. Don't do ANYTHING yet. I will explain everything." The minute those words were out of my mouth 5 or 6 kids blurted out, "What do I do with this?" "Do I color this?" "Can I cut this out now?" "What do I do with this?" "Is this what I do?"

So, I explained everything again and again and as I was walking around and explaining everything again to each child because apparently 4 times is not enough, I noticed that one child had taken his scissors and cut his shoe laces into little bits!!!! When I asked him why he did that he burst into tears!!!! Good thing he's cute!!!!:rolleyes:

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2007

sure he doesn't know his name??? I had kids who only knew their nicknames...parents never called them by their given name - ever!

I said to one mom, "Please don't call him Gordo." We call him Edgar in school, and he must learn his correct name.

Gordo..as I'm sure you all know, means 'the fat one' in Spanish!

30. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Sep 14, 2007

We have spent 2 weeks going over lined notebook paper..."I have just passed out paper to you for math. At the top of the page, you need to write your name, up in the corner. Here, look at the board. Here is a picture of what your paper should look like. See the holes? What side are the holes on? The left. Which side is left? Hold up your hands. Go like this with your thumb and finger. Which one makes an L? See, that is your left hand. Left makes an L. The holes go on the left side of your paper. Yes, like that. No, that's upside down...there you go. Just like that. Now where does your name go?"

It's no wonder math is taking an hour and a half! We spend the first half hour just filling out the top of the page with name and assignment info! So it's not just first grade that is little...they all are!

31. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Sep 15, 2007

Hey, try starting First grade....in JULY! Out school just started going year round (nine weeks in, three weeks off) and we started July 9th. WOW! Big difference. The good thing is that now it is September and they are doing fairly well. I had 6 five year olds in July but now I only have 3 more five year olds to go! The others are now 6. It seems to make a big difference in developmental things such as reading. They just aren't all there yet.

32. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Sep 15, 2007

No, I've heard his mother call him by his full name, which is what I was calling him in school. He seems to pay attention more to the parents, I wonder if he's just so overwhelmed with all the sights & sounds that he forgets to listen.

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2007

I remember my elementary teachers who left a permanent sample of 'Heading' on the board, for almost for half of my life...

I still do it in my grad classes!

Master Pre-k
    EDUG 511-01
    Fall 2007
    Curtis
    Homework #2

Would you believe in college the teacher still has to say,

"Who gave me a paper with no name?" :eek:

34. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Sep 15, 2007

Oh my gosh, I can totally sympathize with everyone here! Yesterday we took our first spelling test, and after spending 15 minutes explaining how to set up our paper and modeling how to do it, then showing how we were going to write our answers, I said, "Let's go!" so we could begin. One girl said, "Go where?"

I must remind myself every morning just how literal they really are!

35. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Sep 15, 2007

I was actually thinking first grade behavior was fantastic! I taught only kindergarten before this year so I am amazed at the routines they already know!! If you think they are little now...imagine how their kindergarten teachers felt last year at this time! :)

36. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2007

1st. grade and kindergarten? Think about Preschool!!!!!

37. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Sep 15, 2007

I told my class on Friday that when I was born, my mom didn't look at me and say "Isn't she cute, I think I'll call her teacher", they laughed, and then asked me what IS my real name!

I also hate hearing "Hey!" I tell them hay is something horses eat!

38. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 15, 2007

I always hear complaints from the teachers a grade above most any grade say something like, "The grade below didn't do their job and teach these kids enough. They should know more." Usually it is related to behavior and routines. Not only do they forget they are starting over but they forget summer happened!

39. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Sep 17, 2007

Grammy teacher - I laughed out loud!! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

The beginning of the year is so hysterical (and insanely frustrating) that the only "cure" is to just brace yourself for whats coming.... Prepare yourself for the fact that everything will take 3 times as long and you will repeat, repeat, repeat yourself till your purple.

And then pretty soon, you raise your expectations and the kids start to realize that you EXPECT them to be listening the first time. "I just might not have extras of that worksheet if you decided not to listen to directions the first time.... or if you decide to go ahead before I finish my directions... or if you decide to crumple it and throw it away...."

No matter how hard they can be, I love 'em.

sigh.

40. MissTexas

MissTexas Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

I concur!!:2up: I have transitioned from a kinder class and they were TINY!!!!! Talk about starting with a clean slate! This year is somewhat better however my students still need help with their LISTENING skills!!:mad:

Teacher: "Make sure you draw, color, and label your pictures"
    Student: "Are we supposed to label our pictures?"

UGH!!!!!!:help::help::help:

41. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2007

ok...I got jinxed for coming here!

I subbed 1st grade for two days.

Almost, everything that everyone has said happened to me!

Okay boys and girls, on this page...we will color, cut and glue.

"Teacher...uh..do we have to color, cut and glue on this page??" :confused:

We'll do the math page first, then phonics, and the coloring page last.

"Uh, which one will we do first??"

and by the way...

crayons don't have colors anymore...they have names...marigold??

dittos look worse than the post office exam!

these pictures look like things straight outta of the late 50's and early 60's. Telephone? tea kettle, (manual push) lawn mower!?? yeah right!! ...all these kids' homes have cordless or cell phones, microwaves...no teapots, and ride-on John Deere mowers! :woot: