Am I the only one having bad dreams about school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Shanoo, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 11, 2012

The past few days, I've been having really awkward dreams about school. Last night, I had a dream that I couldn't control my class during an evaluation. They were talking over me, not doing their work, being disrespectful - you name it, they did it. By the end, I yelled at them to shut up. The evaluator shook his and left the room.

This will be my 7th year teaching and I've never had dreams like this before the first day. It's kinda freaking me out.

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2012

I always have them, but I've had more than usual this year. In the past week, I had a dream where my class was made up of former students that we're really awesome the first time we practiced read to self (they went for like 20 minutes), but then later they were being really awful while I was trying to explain procedures and the counselor was in there observing me. Two nights ago, I had a dream that I was moved to kindergarten three days before school started.

4. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 11, 2012

I just finished having this conversation with a friend on the phone! I keep having similar dreams. I can't control my kids, my classroom has been changed, the principal decides she has to supervise me all day, I end up having 72 (strange, random number) kids in my 1st period class. This will only be my 2nd year, but my friend was sharing similar dreams and it will be her 18th year or something like that, so I guess it's normal?

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 11, 2012

I had a weird one the other night that I was in the cafeteria during lunch time, and a group of students who graduated last year decided to come back for lunch. I had to kick them out, and they were giving me a hard time about it. My usual dream is that it's the first day of school and I am unprepared and have absolutely no control over my class. I have only had that dream once or twice this summer, though.

6. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 11, 2012

I have bad dreams that I'm back and actually IN school myself. I look forward to each and every day of teaching now and sleep like a champ. I'm real lucky.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 11, 2012

I had a dream the other night that my school built a dock and dug a lake on the playground so we could teach our students about water safety and boating. In my dream I had morning recess duty on the first day of school and I was trying to supervise the lake as well as the rest of the playground... all the while wondering who approved the stupid lake in the first place.

Not a scary dream, but related to school!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2012

They haven't started yet. We still have 2 weeks before school starts for the students. I'm pretty sure as it gets closer, the dreams will start. They always do.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2012

No weird dreams yet, but lots of nerves. I will present to my parents on Monday. I'm a bit nervous about that.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 11, 2012

I have been having dreams all summer! My most reoccurring ones are:

- I have forgotten to wear pants to school.
    -I have forgotten to wear shoes to school.
    -I have forgotten to go to school on the first day. I am out doing something fun and all of the sudden realize it is the first day of school and I should be there.
    -I have not planned anything for the first day of school, and I'm sitting there wondering what to do with all of the kids that are sitting there looking at me.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 11, 2012

I never forgot to wear shoes, but once I accidentally wore my sneakers to school. Luckily I noticed as I was walking in and I had spare dress shoes in my trunk!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2012

I've had some doosies since Peter went into the hospital.

13. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 11, 2012

I've never had dreams about school that I remember, but I feel like I must have had them because as school approaches, I wake up in shock thinking I forgot school started, something isn't planned, or I missed some important meeting. Argh!! Makes me worry that it's going to happen!

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 11, 2012

I completely freaked out this morning when I woke up at 9...and then I remembered it was Saturday :)

15. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 11, 2012

Well when I do finally get to sleep ( my mind keeps running thinking about what I need to do, how I'm going to handle this this year, what I'm going to call this) I am then having nightmares. :(. Strange dreams, as everyone said they too are having strange dreams .... I hate it! The difficulty falling asleep then waking up to bad dreams... Uggghh! Then the night before I return (which is Monday) and especially the night before kids return I won't sleep at all.

I bet all those that complain about teacher's jobs etc don't go through this related to their job huh?!?!?

16. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 11, 2012

Teaching is the hardest, most stressful job going, or one of them, anyway! I have worked in other professions and while they were stressful, required overtime, and sometimes involved toxic individuals, I never had bad dreams or got that stressed out. And I think that is because teaching is an enormous responsibility and undertaking, and it also requires you to involve yourself emotionally. I think the lack of respect for teachers in general also contributes to the stress. Sometimes I wonder why in the world I became one!!! Obviously I love teaching and I love my students and I want to make a difference, but sometimes it does feel very thankless.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2012

I had a dream last night where I smoked a LOT of pot. I even had a big grow operation, both at home and at school. As someone who has never done drugs, I really have no idea where that dream came from!

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 12, 2012

Altogether, this is the beginning of my 3rd year (1 from another district in a different kind of position, 2nd at same dist as an SLP). I've never had nightmares about starting up work again...& I hope I never do!

19. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2012

Have you been watching WEEDS on Showtime?? :lol:
    Too funny!!

20. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 12, 2012

Yep, the dreams have started!
    Dreamt the other night that I was suddenly assigned to all the special ed for 5th grade. I am special ed trained, so I panicked. I received NO help at all-from my team mates, the admin, or parents. The only support I had was from the PTA president!

21. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 12, 2012

I woke up last night in a panic because I dreamt my classroom was completely bare. No furniture, nothing on the walls and the kids were walking in for the first day. It's funny because my room is completely ready for Monday...

22. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 13, 2012

Well, I had another one last night. This time, I dreamt that I got to school, but was super, super sick. So, they called in a sub, but I just couldn't get planned for the sub. I ended up staying all day, planning for period 2 during period 1, period 3 during period 2, etc.

In the middle of all that, I left my classroom for 2 minutes and came back to find that the custodians had switched my room and another teacher's room. I walked in to find all of my stuff gone, and all of her stuff there. The other teacher was an art teacher and they even transferred the paint drips on the floor! Oh, and I suddenly had to share a room with an English teacher (I teach math). We got into an argument as to whether a space should be used for encyclopedias or math manipulatives.

I don't want to wish my summer away, but if starting school is going to make these dreams stop, the first day can't come fast enough.