Am I the only 1 who doesn't expect a raise?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by jday129, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jun 29, 2010

We are up for renegotiated contracts this year. I won't go into details to protect the privacy of the process but...

I personally would be very willing to sign a contract that freezes pay completely. It's a rough economy and I don't expect the community to dig deeper into their pockets so I can have a raise. When i mentioned this in the staff lounge I got attacked by teachers I usually respect who seemed to feel that raises were to be expected anyway.

3. Irma

Irma Companion

Jun 29, 2010

I don't expect one either but then again, our district doesn't pay well anyway so it's not out of the norm.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2010

I'm expecting negotiations to be tough. We were asked to sign off on a pay freeze...and didn't. It's not that we feel 'raises are to be expected', but without a contract (which we will be in July), our pay is automatically frozen anyway, so why 'volunteer' that? Truthfully I think most of my colleagues would be ok to maintain what we have at our current pay with no givebacks. We're not going in to negotiations with that on the table, however.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 29, 2010

When we went into negotiations, our corporation wanted to freeze pay for two years and to freeze our steps also. Since we RIF'ed about 10 teachers, we were okay with pay freeze but not our steps. We settled for pay freeze but no freeze on our steps. Hopefully things will be different in two years

6. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 29, 2010

We are not expecting a raise in my district, either. We are just hoping that our insurance doesn't take a hit....if we can maintain and not have to RiF anyone, we will be satisfied.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2010

My main concern would be with health insurance rates. The pay freeze coupled with increased healthcare could cost greatly hinder your income.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 29, 2010

Yes, the biggie is always increases to insurance. Really, an increase of a few hundred dollars isn't going to increase your take home all that much, but hits to insurance and other benefits are hard to take.

Last year, we negotiated a larger than normal raise to be instituted over 2 years. Everything else was to remain the same. We hoped that would get us through this difficult economic time.

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2010

I am in private school and our raises are dependent upon enrollment. Our enrollment is up for 3 years in a row. We lose a few and gain a few over the summer but May numbers are usually pretty accurate. We did get a raise and our insurance did not go up in cost. Our prescriptions went up by $5. We were very lucky and fortunate this year.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2010

Well, I sure want my raise...

I was upset to learn we would not receive our step raise. I finished my Master's and Rank I both during my first three years of teaching, and paid for it all, expecting to get something back (besides knowledge) for those years of higher education and experience.

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 29, 2010

This is one of the reasons I was so happy with our new contract. Our pay is frozen for the next two years but we do get our steps. I even sent a thank you card to our bargining team for working so hard to ensure we get the step raise.

12. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 29, 2010

Our contract is up this coming August. The way they play the game anymore, it should be about a year before it's actually resolved. Our union has to pretend that they're working on our behalf, the school district has to make a show that they're working on behalf of the taxpayers, etc. That means we'll have to go through that "work to the contract" charade and do all this symbolic stuff which has little impact and do everything other than actually strike.

I'm guessing that they'll probably have something in place around April or May next year and we'll get something like 1 to 1.5%.

Interestingly, I noticed that our central office administration just got approved for a 3% increase at the last school board meeting.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 29, 2010

I would LOVE a raise so I can actually go grocery shopping at least once a month. That would be nice...I honestly think I would qualify for food stamps. :(

Anyway, I guess I'm just thankful to have a job, so I want my district to do whatever they have to do to keep me, even if it means no raise for a while...

14. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 29, 2010

Teachers don't even make babysitter wages so yes, we are deserving of a increase in wages. Good point was brought up about how cost of insurance and a pay freeze may bring upon a problem...

We haven't received a raise in over 2 years and we don't go up based on experience. Our district does pay for our health insurance though...however, I still don't make $30K a year and I'm going on my 4th year of teaching....

15. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Jun 29, 2010

We had to take a cut this year! A freeze would have been great!

16. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 29, 2010

In September, we will get our first pay increase in two years. During that pay freeze time, we did not receive step increases. Lane changes were not frozen and those could be made. But, one has to pay money in order to make money in that case. I am just glad to finally get an increase. Pay freezes are tough. I think we can all agree on that.

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2010

We have a cut and freeze-and I just finished my Master's this May. So my pay would be $6,000 less than what I would be making if there wasn't a freeze.

18. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 29, 2010

I'm not expecting my step increase but would like to keep the insurance absorbed. I only pay for myself ($10/check) but for those with families those rate increases can be killer. I get there's no money but hey we all have families to feed. My homeowner's goes up just like everybody else. Can't call the insurance company and say, "I'm a teacher can you give me a break"

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 29, 2010

I don't mind not getting a raise but I do want to give up my step.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2010

EEK, Pigeon...how do you manage groceries and other necessities? Sending you :hugs:

Why would you want to give up your step?

21. Miz_Aich

Miz_Aich Rookie

Jun 29, 2010

We actually took a voluntary 3% cut this year. It amounts to around $100-150 per month per certified employee, but for the number of teachers/admin we have it added up to quite a bit of money. While we don't like the idea of making less money, it was an easier decision than knowing that some of our non-tenured staff and support staff would be RIF'd if we didn't. Support staff had been told that as many as 25% of them would lose their jobs and when they found out teachers took a cut to save their jobs, they were floored (they really don't realize how invaluable they are to us). I don't like that I'll be making less money next year, but it's not that much money per month, and in return I'm sure we will have a phenomenally dedicated support staff.

22. idahomom

idahomom Companion

Jun 29, 2010

It was hard sitting in on association meetings last year, knowing that if some sort of pay cut didn't happen for all teachers that I was going to lose my position - and many classified employees were going to lose their jobs also. It was difficult to hear many teachers say that they basically didn't care how this affected other people, they wanted their pay raises. Now, not many said this, but there were several vocals ones who did and it not only dumbfounded me, it hurt. Lucky for them, they got their raises and my position was cut. :(

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 29, 2010

I meant I do not want to give up my step. Sorry

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 29, 2010

Thanks...I know I'm better off than many people, but it's so tough because I have a lot of student loan debt. I knew I would have debt and that teachers didn't make a lot of money, but I didn't think it would be this bad. I'm fortunate enough to have a boyfriend who buys me dinner often and who is willing to loan me money when I'm broke. He's loaning me about $800 to fix my car, which has been parked for 10 days. :(

25. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 29, 2010

Ouch, pay cuts would have to hurt.

We used to get a retro-active raise and a bonus at the end of the year. The last day of school we'd go home with an extra $3,500 which made summer even more wonderful

We, everyone from the cafeteria workers to the admin, did get a $1,000 bonus but no raise. Our superintendent said we didn't need a raise because we made enough money already. My district has $8 million in surplus.

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2010

That seems like an ignorant comment...make enough according to who exactly?

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2010

EEK...a 3% cut to save others' jobs? :wow:That was really nice, but I don't think we'd do it...

Our gov wants all public employees to put in 1.5% for health care so we're already taking a hit (really it's a pay decrease) . Taxes are bound to go up. And our homeowners' tax rebate has been cut in the new budget...so we're all out more money anyway in NJ...we aren't going to voluntarily freeze our pay or take a pay cut...It will take years to recoup that.

28. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 29, 2010

That's what we thought too. We've had this superintendent for three years and we've not had a raise since he's been here. Our former super always took pride in our district being in the top five highest paying districts in the state, we've moved down to 15th.

29. idahomom

idahomom Companion

Jun 29, 2010

I'd rather take a pay cut than be without all of the aides that help make our programs work and in order to have smaller class sizes. I would also rather take a small pay cut than have people lose their jobs, regardless of how those positions would affect my job personally.

30. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 29, 2010

I didn't expect it, and honestly wouldn't have been upset not to get it but we are getting them this year. We have an insurance change in the works, so I suspect we'll probably be paying more there as well. Somehow our taxes are not going up either-which is good.

I'm really worried about next year however. This year they said we had a planned surplus which helped us for this fall, next year our P's have very limited budgets, even more so than usual.

31. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2010

Teaching is such a different world than the corporate world. My husband works for a big corporation. It is automatic that they get a yearly raise, there is never talk about pay cuts, and if they need to cut a position then they just do not fill the next open position. He never has to buy his own supplies or pay for copies or faxes. Also his secretary, who does not have a college degree (meaning no student loans or education that had to be paid for) has worked for him for 2 years and makes more than I do after 10 years of teaching. He also starts his assistants off at $35,000 and they do not need a degree although the last 3 he has hired have had engineering degrees but took the job because they could not find anything else.

32. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Jun 29, 2010

No Raise

This will be our second year in a row without a raise.:mad:

33. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jun 29, 2010

What's a raise?????

:)

Hey, I am thankful to be able to be teaching. Do I wish I made more money? Yes. Do I know other people who make more doing less with less education? Yes. Am I happy to teach even with the negatives? Yes.

Hope everyone here has all that they need for the coming year to be well fed, well dressed, well entertained and healthy!

34. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 29, 2010

Old school - 0% for the last 2 years but got step increases. 0 % this year and no step increase. (I didn't mind the 0% each year but the step really was hard. I kinda counted on that as a cost of living jump.) The lack of increases at my old school actually made the pay cut that I had to take to go to my new school a little easier. ;) I didn't realize how common the 0% and freezes in steps were. :(

35. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 29, 2010

At least we know we aren't alone?? :p

36. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jun 30, 2010

Thanks for all the responses. Sure, we'd all like raises, but it seems that pay freezes are a reality that we have to deal with.

37. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 30, 2010

I'll get a pay increase, but only because we renegotiated our contracts 2 years before the turn in the economy. Our pay will increase depending on the increase in the cost of living. I'm at the top of the pay scale, so unless I go back to school for 1 year, I will not be getting any more pay increases after next year:(.

38. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 30, 2010

You never know. I was surprised with a 3% increase for next year. Granted, it's starting with a much lower salary than most public school teachers, but I'm thrilled to have earned it.

39. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jun 30, 2010

We are very lucky and signed a three year contract that includes raises and step increases, with health benefits unchanging except for an increase of $5 in copay.

Yes, I second that!

40. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 30, 2010

Take that to the bank and run! :)

41. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 1, 2010

When I switched to a new school, everybody asked about what I would be making and I told them honestly "I did not know yet [this was prior to getting the contract] and I DO NOT care!" As long as I was making at least what I made at my first school, I would be fine.

Instead, I was lucky enough to make a $5K raise, but honestly the OP is right: I'm THRILLED to be working and making an income. I think its very spoiled for teachers to assume they need to get a raise when SOOOO many people are out of a job and recently, out of any kind of extension on their unemployment payments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.