Am I "Safe"?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by daisycakes, Feb 10, 2015.

1. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Feb 10, 2015

I am in my first year in a new district. I have not been evaluated all year. According to district timeline, I should have had several evaluation meetings and 2 out of 3 observations/evaluations. However, no one has talked to me or come to see me at all. I brought this up with my P 3 weeks ago and she agreed but has taken no action. I asked her if I was coming back next year because not being evaluated makes me nervous. She said yes. She also has made some plans for me during the summer.

However, recently, we have been having disagreements about how much unpaid work I am going to do during the summer (I wrote on this board about it). She wanted me to go to a conference when I had plans. Now I feel nervous about not being renewed because she seems minorly displeased with me (making faces when I ask questions, etc.). My boyfriend says that I am paranoid and if they wanted to nonrenew me, they would be in my classroom building a case against me.

What do you think? I don't want to bring it up again because I think they feel I am a nag. My district coordinator wants me to contact the union but that seems like it would just make them mad when no problem exists yet. Like, if they do decide to nonrenew me, I should complain at that point because my evaluation timeline was not followed at all, but why preemptively complain? The other specials teacher has also not been evaluated. What do you think of all this?

3. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Feb 10, 2015

It depends on how tenure works in your state. If you're not tenured, your rights are limited and they can let you go for any reason without documentation.

I would lay low, and wait and see if you're renewed. In my experience, making any sort of fuss makes the situation worse.

4. bartleby

bartleby Rookie

Feb 10, 2015

I am not the most familiar with the dynamics of working with admins/unions/contracts/etc... but personally I agree with mariecurie and would lay low and see how things play out.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2015

This sounds like good advice.

If you really want to have the admin visit your room, perhaps you could invite them in to see a special lesson that you think would show off you talents and rapport with the students. It doesn't sound like they have doubts about bringing you back, but this could cement that plan.

6. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Feb 10, 2015

This is really good advice. Sometimes principals are so crazy-busy that they let these evaluations slide if they are confident in a teacher. What's really going to make you feel uncomfortable is when your P asks you to sign an evaluation that says s/he's been in your room 3 times.

I'd invite your P in when your kids are doing a play or something special so you have some control over the situation.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 10, 2015

Please talk to your Union. They should know if you can be non-renewed under these circumstances. Administrators should not feel threatened by unions; they are there to protect your rights.

8. Nate

Nate Companion

Feb 11, 2015

"Evaluations" can mean a lot of different things. Depending on how loosey-goosey your P is, she may have "observed" you lining your kids up in the hall, or during an assembly, or whatever, and written up a report on that. It's usually a vote of confidence.

9. Rox

Rox Cohort

Feb 11, 2015

California requires that teachers are notified before evaluations occur, so that may not be the case here.

10. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Mar 7, 2015

An update on this: I hear that I'll find out if I'm renewed by March 15th. Is that correct state-wide? I haven't heard anything and I'm very nervous. I also still haven't been evaluated.

Example: I just got an email from my P about a club after school, asking if we are meeting on March 16. I said we are and asked why and haven't heard back. She isn't asking because she wants to schedule a meeting/fire me after school that day, right? I have a history of anxiety and this waiting is killing me.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 7, 2015

Don't know about California, but my school just sent out letters to us confirming if we are getting our contracts. Technically, my school (a private school in NJ) has to let us know if we won't by February 15th, but we get a confirmation letter that we will in early March. And actual contracts to sign by the end of the March.

Can you check online to see what CA says?

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 7, 2015

13. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Mar 8, 2015

Somehow my California district non-renewed some teachers in May a couple of years ago. They were probationary 1, and probationary 2s (which was what I was at the time) were safe. People talked to the union and somehow it was allowed under the ed code.

I wonder if you have ever heard of this youngteacherguy? You know much more about this than I, but my anecdotal evidence is that in your first year the deadline is different than in your second.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 8, 2015

As far as I know, probationary teachers (year 1 and 2) must be notified by May 30th, but at the same time March 15 still has something to do with it. I asked about it here before, but I'm still confused lol.

March 15th is coming up, but my formal spring observation will be done after that time, so I know the deadline cannot be March 15th. It would be a strange policy to have observations done after the deadline passes.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 8, 2015

Here's how it works:

1. Probationary/temporary teachers who will be non-renewed must be notified by March 15th. Additionally, any probationary teachers who are being laid off/receiving RIF (Reduction in Force) notices must also be notified (via certified mail) by March 15th.
    2. May 15th is the deadline for districts to send final layoff notices (to those who have received RIF notices).
    3. In special circumstances, districts have one further avenue to lay off additional staff by the May 15th deadline!

Linguist: You are being evaluated after the March 15th deadline because you are not being non-renewed.

Tobe: Hope this makes sense.

16. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Mar 8, 2015

Here is what I found when I researched this when Probationary 1s were non-renewed by my district on May 28th:

Grimsley vs. Board of Trustees of Muroc Joint Unified School District (1987) 189
    Cal.App.3d 1440. The Notice of Non-Reelection was given after March 15th of
    the first year of employment. The court found that the Notice of Non-Reelection
    could be given in the first year of employment up to June 30th.

Maybe the ed code has been changed since this decision?

17. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2015

As of now if you are a probationary teacher who is non renewed in the state of California you will be notified by March 15th. If you receive no notification then you will be returning next year.

If the principal does decide to non renew you as a probationary teacher have very limited recourse. Part of the the probationary contract gives the ability to non-renew with almost no way around it. I would advise you to talk to your union rep about the lack of evaluation if you do think you will be non renewed. That might be one of the few things that could work. The time line for grievances is usually short and if you have someone in the association who has a clue what is going on beforehand it can make it easier (if you do have a viable option). I would be stunned if they advise you to do anything unless you are non-renewed.

AB 215 which changed the policy of teacher dismissals actually changes the deadlines for notification regarding the dismissal of teachers. My understanding is that basically it moves from notification being from the beginning of the school year to march 15 as notification to the beginning of the school year till the end of the year. I think it also changes the notification of documentation times also. How and who it directly effects I am not sure. It may change non renewal rules for everyone but then again it may not.

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 8, 2015

Last year, we had to non-renew a teacher. I'm completely certain it came as no surprise to him since he received several evals that had an overall score of "needs improvement" and he chose to not implement the tips we gave him for improving classroom management. It was as though he gave up in October/November. I've never witnessed such chaos, disorganization, and lack of drive/will to be a successful educator. :(

I wish I could elaborate more, but my point is that no one should be blindsided by a non-renewal notice (provided the principal has done his/her job).

19. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2015

I agree YoungTeacherGuy. I know that AB 215 changes the time line rules though.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 8, 2015

I'll be completely honest, EMonkey--I was not familiar with AB 215 until I read your response!

I'm reading up on it right now, though!!! :blush:

21. CanIteachPhysic

CanIteachPhysic Rookie

Apr 8, 2015

YoungTeacherGuy,

As someone who is trying to enter the teaching field, can you be more specific on classroom management. What was going on and what types of tips did the district make? While I am studying for my Praxis (NJ) exam, I am also trying to figure out the best ways to run a classroom.

Thanks

22. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Apr 8, 2015

What special circumstances do you mean?

23. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 8, 2015

If monies are restricted even further and more layoffs need to happen as a result of budget changes.

I wasn't referring to special circumstances involving an administrator changing his/her mind about rehiring an employee.