Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by minnie, Sep 4, 2013.

1. minnie

minnie Cohort

Sep 4, 2013

I have two students who are so absolutely low. They do not know their colors, they have no concept of what a letter is or a number is, they have a hard time comprehending anything I am saying. I don't know...am I expecting too much from them? We have been in school for over three weeks now and I am still trying to get them to recognize the letter A and the number 1. I would think they would get it by now. I do a lot of extra things with these students with helping them with their letters and numbers. I gave them a DIBELS test and they both scored 0. I've never had that before.

Is there something I'm missing?

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 4, 2013

Are they ELL students? I see this often in my kiddos that are either new to the country or just started learning English. Recongizing colors is definitely a skill that a typical K student should have. Do you know anything about the families or if they have been worked with at home some?

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 4, 2013

Did they attend pre-K at all? I've had students who started the year like that, but did start to make progress with it pretty quickly. I had a student once when I was testing them on their letters they would throw numbers in with their answers as well: j, l, 3, t, l, 5. They didn't have any other experience in school before that though.

5. minnie

minnie Cohort

Sep 4, 2013

No they are not ELL. They are young though. They both will turn five this month. However, I have had young ones before and they were never this low. One of them has the vocabulary of a three year old and has a hard time communicating with me. I feel like this is my first year all over again!

Yes! They both had preschool. But just a few days a week. One went to a bridge program during the summer. I have the feeling that one of them has something going on in her brain.

6. minnie

minnie Cohort

Sep 4, 2013

One of them cannot count. She cannot even start with one. She will say "4....2.....A.....E...." I am at a loss. We count every day.

Its interesting. Half of my class are so high, they can skip the first half of this year. The other half are very low. But these two are off the charts. :(

7. cml88

cml88 Companion

Sep 4, 2013

Minnie--I have one this year who is the exact name. No letter or number knowledge, no colors, cannot count, doesn't understand how to use pencil or scissors. I feel helpless reaching him because I have no other students are who even near where he is. I begged my principal to let him start in pre-k, hoping he would get a little more of a foundation for literally, the basics. However, push push push, gotta push those kids through...the answer was NO. So here he is in in K, struggling to no end, and will most likely be staying with me another year. :(

8. minnie

minnie Cohort

Sep 4, 2013

That's how these students are. One is a little better than the other. Unfortunately, we only have two preschools in our town that are privately owned. In my opinion and from what I get form my students, they do not prepare them for K. We have a TK program in our town but these two didn't qualify to get in.

Nowadays, you cannot go into K as a blank slate. If you do, you are already behind. In my day, K was a lot different. Its so academic now, that its sets up these kids for failure. They literally have to hit the ground running as soon as they enter K. They have no idea if they are coming or going.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 5, 2013

I had a child like that last year. He ended the year knowing his colors, recognizing some letters and some numbers. He did not go to preschool. The letters and numbers he knew changed. So, little retention.

I wanted to retain him. Mom & Dad refused. Pulled the family out and are taking him to a different school where he can get 1 on 1 attention. He'll come back next year, on grade level. That's what Grandma said.

We'll see if he comes back next year, on grade level.

Good luck. If you have an RtI program get them into it!

10. minnie

minnie Cohort

Sep 6, 2013

Yes I have put them in RTI. So far, they both still are not retaining much :( but I'm just going to keep trying and just pray they have a light bulb moment.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 6, 2013

That's the hardest part for me--the divide of abilities. Everyone has them, but in K I think the spectrum is bigger because you do have some kids coming in with no knowledge at all. So from that to kids that are already reading is a big gap to differentiate for.

At least you are doing what you can for them. Hopefully a maturity level will kick in and that lightbulb will go off and they'll surprise you!

12. ms.pekkle

ms.pekkle Rookie

Sep 11, 2013

I am in the same boat, Minnie. And I am a first year teacher, so I really am not sure if I should have suggested one of my students to start in pre-K.

Preschool, the two students who don't know the basics are ELLs (I teach bilingual spanish). One of them just moved to the US this year from Central America. This is her first year/time in a school. The other student, I know was born over there, but has lived some time here. He knows some of his numbers and a bit of English.

13. Appmaker28

Appmaker28 Rookie

Sep 12, 2013

My team was just talking about this today. The crazy thing is that the adminastrators always say, "they come to you higher now". I don't know how they are getting this information because it sure isn't true. Does anyone else hear this comment all the time?

14. minnie

minnie Cohort

Sep 15, 2013

They are definitely not higher for me. I have never had students with so little academic knowledge like this before.

One of the two students that are very low is starting to come around and I think he'll be ok. However, the other students still does not know the difference between a letter or a number. She still calls the letter A "4" or "apple" or something else. Right now, her brain is just not ready to remember any letters so we are starting with the basics such as just knowing her alphabet song and being able to count to ten as she points to the numbers.

I've gotten some tests ran for her and she is functioning at a 3 1/2 year old level. She is in RTI and in speech so she will have an IEP within 30-60 days. She may even qualify for spec ed but that's a long shot because this is kindergarten.

15. minnie

minnie Cohort

Sep 15, 2013

Maybe they are saying that because preschool is stepping up a bit with academics and more kids are going to TK programs. But they don't see what you see.

16. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Sep 15, 2013

Kindergarten Woes

I think this is a common belief because there is more access to Pre-K or TK, more access to technology and educational games. But it has been my experience that students are coming with less abilities than the students I taught five years ago. Out of the 21 students I have 11 are considered well below basic. They came with no color recognition, no concept of a letter or a number. Some don't know their given names, and will only answer to the nickname that has been used at home.
    What I am doing is small group 2-3 kids working on very basic skills. Letter recognition using 2 letters a week. I have decided to teach sounds later as to not overwhelm the students.

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

I would have the child screened for speech (receptive language/comprehension) and start RtI right away. Find a skills checklist and conference with the parents and get more info and share your concerns.

18. minnie

minnie Cohort

Sep 15, 2013

That's just what I did. She is in RTI and is now in speech.