Am I making the right choice?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Outdoorz, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Jan 9, 2012

Hello,

I realize I don't know anyone on here very well, but I really need some advice from some people in the field. I am almost finished with my Masters degree and am planning on completing a teaching certificate from the same university. The problem is I am not sure this is the best choice. I have three young children and want to provide a good life for them. I make a lot of mistakes as a mother and have a difficult time disciplining them consistently. Sometimes I wonder if I can manage a classroom. Is managing a classroom different from discipling your own children? I don't want to go through 2 more years of school and be a failure. Is classroom management something that can be learned? Any words of advice is much appreciated.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2012

Classroom management can definitely be learned. What have you been doing to prepare for your possible future in a classroom as far as classroom management strategies? What books and articles have you been reading?

While I'm sure that there are many similarities between disciplining as a teacher and disciplining as a parent, I'm sure there are also plenty of differences. I wouldn't necessarily assume that a parent who has struggled with discipline in the past would fail at enforcing discipline in the future. I find that teachers, with or without children of their own, are better at classroom management when they do a little (or a lot of) research, when they get to know their students, and when they enforce rules fairly and consistently.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2012

Right. I don't have any kiddos of my own. Some people believe that you are a better teacher if you do.

Personally, from year one I had great classroom management because I took the time to really study up on how to manage a classroom. I watched other teachers during student teaching and field work when I was still a student at the university to see how they managed their classroom. And I continued to watch and observe when I started teaching. And to this day, 7 years after teaching, I'm still learning how to best manage a classroom.

One book I highly recommend is Tools for Teaching by Fred Jones.

There's this other book that teachers really like, something about Love and Logic....

And then there's Harry Wong's First Days of School (I believe that's the title, it's been a while since I read it).

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2012

Classroom management can definitely be learned. If you pursue a teaching certification, make sure that you are able to student teach. Student teaching is one of the best ways to learn classroom management.

Classroom management is definitely different from disciplining your own kids. For one, your class will change most years but your kids will be your kids for life. Your kids know your buttons, while your students learn this every year. Your students are not your kids, so how you discipline can be very different.

6. texaspenguin

texaspenguin Rookie

Jan 9, 2012

Learn it!

I totally had to learn how to manage a classroom! It was not something that came naturally, but now I don't really have problems. Here are some books that helped me that I recently wrote about:
    Great Books

7. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jan 9, 2012

!

Yes, I believe that classroom management can be learned, but you must be open to researching different ideas and then coming to a style that works for you. That's what happened for me.

I'm embarrassed to think back to my first couple of years of teaching when I had very little knowledge of how to run my room. But I was willing to seek out advice, accept some criticism when warranted and do LOTS of reading. I really enjoyed reading books about differen t management styles. Lots of times, I would read one, and say "this is IT! this sounds perfect!" I'd try it out, find some kinks, work them through... hear about another book, go through the same process, and I got to a point where I feel very comfortable with my management. It is my own style, with lots of ideas taken from many books, friends, co-workers, and even parents of my students. Be willing to learn from EVERYONE!

Here are some of my favorites. They have very different styles, but I learned wonderful things from each!

1)First Days of school by Harry Wong - creating classsroom rules and procedures
    2)Tools for Teaching - Fred Jones - creating classrooom rules and procedures
    3)Teaching with Love and Logic - helped me learn to stay calm while children learn to be responsible for their actions.
    4)The First Six weeks of school - (Creating a positiveclassroom environment, heavy on relationship building)
    5)The Cornerstone - Angella Watson (keeping an organized and self-running classroom)

None of these are the "be all and end all" of classroom management. There is no such thing. You'll take what works for you from each.

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 9, 2012

I also took a lot from Doug Lemov's "Teach Like A Champion." Classroom management MUST be learned because I already feel much more comfortable than when I first started teaching and that was only 4 months ago. Trust me, it was not pretty then!

9. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Jan 10, 2012

10. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Jan 10, 2012

Thanks for all the great advice and book recommendations. My reading list just got a lot bigger. :)