Am I loony?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by TheConspiracy, May 31, 2006.

1. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

May 31, 2006

I'm sure anyone who knows me would say a resounding "YES!"

But on other "losing my mind" avenues, I am preparing my stuffage for the upcoming job fair for my local district. I have a snappy resume that has been nitpicked by numerous. I have my reference letters, my cover letter and several other do-dads I would like people to see in order to distinguish myself from the herd.

So- since I feel that I need a lot of distinguishing (I am a career changer with a low GPA, so I think I need all the help I can get) I want the people I meet with to see the things I have lined up to show how snazzy I am and make them drool over the prospect of hiring me.

Well, rather than bombaring people with 500 pieces of paper, Idecided to head to my local office-rippo and buy a package or clear front report covers to put everything in. My thought process is that I will look well organized and when they browse the stack of single resumes, they will see my little doo-mahicky standing out winking at them.

So, rather than having a cover letter on the top (since this is hardly eye-catching) I found a nice little graphic on-line for free of a teacher;s desk with books on it that is intended as a cover page for a teacher's portfolio.

My thought is that I put my name and addy on this keen little graphic as the cover page. Now, I know it isn't "professional" but the graphic is well done and I think it will show that I am creative as well as professional (thereby planting the seed that I am an innovative thinker).

My mother thinks this is a very bad idea.

Inside my thingy-maggigie, I wanted to include (in this order):

1) Cover sheet
    2) Cover Letter
    3) Resume
    4) Reference Letters
    5) Teaching Philosophy (motto, mission statement, whatever)
    6) Degree Conference Letter (in place of transcripts since I don't have my official transcripts yet)

What do you all think? Am I losing my mind? Is this the bad, bad idea my mother is telling me that it is?

Lemme know.
    ~J

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  3. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 1, 2006

You are NOT crazy! I went to a job fair and made up 10 mini portfolios, basically, the same idea you are thinking of. I gave these 10 to my top choices and gave everyone else regular paper copies. Yesterday I got a phone call from a principal that said "I have looked through a ton of resumes and I really loved yours because it stood out". You have to stand out to even get a second glance! Just make sure that you do not go overboard with the artsy crafty side. Make it professional but make it you! I have heard nothing but good things when people create these. Good Luck

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2006

I think it's eye catching, and I'm sure you will get noticed.

5. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 1, 2006

Here is the sample cover page...

Lemme know if you think it is too artsy.

[​IMG]

This is the only graphic I have - except I have one little apple next to "Teaching Philosophy" on that page. I didn't go nuts with the stuff. I just wanted a cover that stands out - but does so nicely.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2006

I like it. It's not too overwhelming.

7. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 1, 2006

I agree, it looks good!

8. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jun 1, 2006

I think it looks good, too.

Another thing you might want to consider is handing out a few of the more important pieces of paper and including an electronic portfolio (on cd).

9. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2006

If you are lucky, you are loony. It is a great excuse for everything.

I am usually against doing anything unusual to make yourself standout. Your qualifications should do the job for you. And unusual presentations can backfire. But I think what you are considering is just fine and may work for you.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2006

I agree. And I think that anything which makes things easier for administrators-- like the packet you're describing-- is a good thing.

11. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 2, 2006

Thanks everyone!

It makes me feel more confident to know that what I am doing won't make me look like I am an idiot. :)

I think that I am in desperate need of a little edge - and I think that it is okay (perhaps) to do something that sets me apart as long as the look is still professional.

So I guess I can send the big "neener neener" to my mom. :love:

~J

12. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Jun 2, 2006

I think it's a bit much (sorry)--personally I'd leave out 1, 5 & 6. When employers have huge piles of papers to go through (like at/after a job fair) they want to get right to the chase and don't want to mess with extra stuff. I wouldn't want to wade through extra paper to find what I'm looking for (the resume). I'm also a little unsure of the plastic cover. Those things slide out of stacks and can be annoying. I know you want to stand out--do that at the job fair. Good luck!;)

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 2, 2006

Where did you find the graphic? I am working on my portfolio over the summer and really like this idea. Is there a website with these graphics that can be downloaded?

14. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 2, 2006

Lemme see if I can find the website again. If not I can just upload the plain graphic to this site. But I know the site I pulled it from had lots of graphics and stuff for setting up a portfolio.

~J

15. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 2, 2006

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 5, 2006

In the same vein with the graphic, do you think it would be OK to use decorative paper you would purchase for your printer as long as it has a clear school or teaching theme? I have seen some really nice ones I might want to use.