Am I in Trouble?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Milsey, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Apr 25, 2014

My class watching a movie yesterday about the life of Anne Frank. It was a more modern version of the original, and I did not take the time to view it beforehand. Unfortunately,I wish I had as there was some nudity (naked people in a camp with breasts and buttocks showing) :eek:
    I immediately skipped over that part for the later classes, but I wonder was I overreacting. After all, it was non-sexual, but you know how some parents are. Sigh!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2014

Historically accurate? You might be safe, but given your history of questionable videos ( The Dolls House) , you might be given less leeway than someone without such history...view this as a lesson learned: preview all videos for appropriateneesss /possibility of questioning...

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2014

Yes

5. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Apr 25, 2014

At my school, you would be in trouble. Not previewing a video is a huge no no at my school. You can make a million mistakes, but not previewing is akin to not studying your lesson and being unprepared for class. I'm sorry this happened.

In relationship to knowing how parents can be, I am a parent. I would be displeased that you showed that video to my daughter. Not everything historically accurate needs to be shown, and in the age group listed on your post, I would suppose that your objectives may not have been met given the distraction of nudity.

I hope it works out for you.

6. physteach

physteach Companion

Apr 25, 2014

Most middle schools I have experience with have taught enough about the Holocaust that no one would be concerned about nudity in a camp.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 26, 2014

Hopefully you learned your lesson: always preview a movie you haven't seen before.

As a parent I have had to sign permission slips for my children to watch a variety of movies that were R rated, but were historically correct. Most have had violence, I don't remember nudity.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 26, 2014

Honestly, something similar happened to me my first year teaching - 8th grade, like you. I posted about it at the time. I don't want to get into it too much, but basically I previewed a clip to show to my class first. We had about 5 extra minutes of time so I let it run 5 minutes more than I had previewed. Big mistake. I was mortified, horrified, devastated, etc. I told my mentor about it and we went to my principal together. He was pretty understanding and I let it be known that it would never happen again.

I learned my lesson and preview everything - written, video, online - everything. I'm talking about Brainpopjr.com clips here and things like that. You really need to because things come up. I bought a sticker pack called "Heroes" with stickers of police officers, firefighters, etc. I made the mistake of NOT previewing that and there happened to be stickers of guns (to go with the police officers) in the pack. Fortunately, my para caught it, but that would have been an issue, believe me.

I do not think it's a bad thing that the students saw nudity in the context of Holocaust imagery. Not at all. However, I definitely think you should have gotten admin approval, sent out permission slips, and warned the kids first.

Hopefully this is a learning experience for you, as it was for me. Good luck to you.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 26, 2014

At my school we're supposed to get admin approval before we show any movies. First of all she wants to make sure we don't have many teachers showing movies on the same days, etc, but we also have a very unreasonable and strict district movie policy.
    We're supposed to show only what the district has, and because they only have VHS I'm supposed to show a video in the VCR on the TV, both of which I have gotten rid of.
    So my P said, because of copyright issues I have to own the dvd I show the students, because renting it somehow doesn't give me the right. So I do that. I'm also supposed to preview the movie, which I do, but my P always knows the movies anyways and gives me permission.

Now I show a lot of short Youtube video clips, (we don't have to get approval for those) for example right now we're covering Cesar Chavez and there is a ton of clips on youtube. I review every minute of it, first of all I don't want surprises but I also want to make sure the video is about what I think it is.

Always preview.
    Milsey to answer your question: I don't know if you're in trouble, I think your situation is a gray area. Technically nudity in the historical contact you described (and that it was just a glimpse) is probably ok, even with the age group, but others might think that the age group is too young and that the message was lost by the distraction. I think your P can use it against you if he wants, or let it go if you're not on his list to be concerned about.

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2014

A few years ago when we had a different principal I decided one day to show one of my favorite shows, Dirty Jobs. I knew it bleeped words and he was ok with that. But in the particular show I watched it didn't bleep the words **** or hell. We watched about 20 minutes of it before I decided it wasn't a good idea. The kids never said a word and I never heard anything about it. I still have it at school but needless to say we don't watch it.

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2014

Depends on your school, your Admin and your students/parents.

At my school, no one would care. I show all types of movies either in class or when I am covering other classes. At my school, this is no big deal (we've got bigger fish to fry, I guess). No one has ever complained and Admin has never said anything.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2014

It´s just good practice to preview anything you are going to show your students. Since you have allegedly been in this sort of situation before, I am surprised you haven´t started doing that already.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2014

I let my students' interest and curiosity steer the lesson one day (which can be great!) and showed a YouTube clip without previewing. Well, technically I did preVIEW it...but I just went through it with no sound while students responded to a prompt (or something along those lines). The WWII veteran dropped a GD. Oops.

I made another similar but worse mistake when put in a surprise situation by administration that was impossible to prepare for and I felt awful about it. But it was an accident. Nothing was said to me about either incident.

14. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Apr 29, 2014

Which version did you show? Can you tell us what it was called? I personally never show a movie I haven't seen, and it's very rare for me to show a movie at all. They can watch those on their own time.

15. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Apr 29, 2014

The one with Ben Kingsley. I work like 70-hour weeks. I don't have time to preview two-hour movies.
    No one made a fuss, but lesson learned. :love:

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 29, 2014

Wait... did you show "Anne Frank: The Whole Story"? I was able to find this right on IMDb: "Some nudity is seen when the Jews are being stripped and searched. It is in no manner sexual." All you need to do in the future is look up the title and check the rating certifications. That being said, ALWAYS watch what you show so you know what questions to ask and what answers to give.

17. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Apr 29, 2014

or you can look for movies that have already been approved by your school board. sometimes those have the added benefit of having WS with premade questions to go along with the movie. that way you save time. 70 hours? i'm guessing like many other teachers you have a second job to help make ends meet.

18. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Apr 30, 2014

I go with my gut. I really despise cartoon movies. I don't know why schools show them after tests. There's nothing intellectual about them. I'm big into foreign movies. I going to show "Sophie Scholl" when we conclude our unit on the Holocaust to show students there were some civilians who stood up to the Nazis and hopefully inspire THEM to stand up for what they believe in.
    I do have another job, and unlike other teachers, I'm not in it for the money. Otherwise, I'd be demanding more than $15 an hour! :2cents:

19. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Apr 30, 2014

I like Rabbit proof fences and might buy and show that movie in my Biology class because it shows false "scientific" beliefs that affect government decisions. I thought it might spark a good conversation about history and how science can influence the world around us.

20. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 30, 2014

We watched a news segment about Holocaust Remembrance day and I was a bit bummed that the only footage they showed was really screened for shock, showing only happy well-fed people entering the trains.

I don't think students understand the gravity of the holocaust unless they see that common photo where they had the bodies in the trenches. I wish the History department could take them to the Holocaust museum.

21. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Apr 30, 2014

I know which movie you are talking about...the one where they tell the story of the Paulas in the beginning. It is by far my favorite Anne Frank film. I showed it to my 7th graders last year, but of course I knew the movie so well I had most of the lines memorized. As soon as the movie got to that scene I turned off the projector and waited until the nudity was over and turned it back on again.

Always make sure you have seen the movie before showing it.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2014

Have you previewed this film? It is not rated in the US.
    Why are you mentioning other jobs? And why are you only making $15 per hour as an experienced teacher?

23. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

May 1, 2014

Have you seen Sophie Scholl? I don't know that all parents will be happy to have this shown in class. I know it's a good movie, and sometimes movies are an excellent way to help students understand things, but if you can't preview it, it's not worth the risk!

24. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 1, 2014

I thought of this thread as I am previewing a movie right now. A Scholastic movie featuring various fairy tales. So far, so good!

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 1, 2014

The site commonsensemedia.org is good about giving you details about movies.

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 1, 2014

Thanks for that, Christy! I was trying to remember that site but couldn't find it!

27. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

May 2, 2014

That's what they pay here in Pa. The kids are great, but it sucks that we never get raises.

28. WordNerd

WordNerd Rookie

May 2, 2014

Oh the irony! I showed one of the more modern adaptations of The Diary of Anne Frank in my 8th grade class today. No, I didn't preview it...I was planning to show a different version, but the website wasn't functioning properly.

Long story short, my 8th graders got a not-too-terribly-brief glimpse of Peter Van Daan's hiney as he was getting out of the bathtub.

Now, this is not really a huge deal. They laughed about it a little and we moved on. I don't expect any fallout from it. However, I did find myself being a little peeved at the makers of the film. There was no purpose whatsoever in showing anyone's buttocks. And that one shot will render an otherwise good version of the movie completely useless for many classrooms. Concentration camp nudity is one thing...historically accurate and definitely an eye-opener for the demeaning and deplorable conditions. But the hiney shot was entirely unnecessary. :unsure:

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 2, 2014

$15 per hour as a full time contracted teacher? So $15 x 7 hours per day x 180 days...$18900 a year for a certified teacher...haven't you already been teaching a few years? Philadelphia public school district advertises a starting salary of $45360...:confused:

http://webgui.phila.k12.pa.us/offic...resources/information-center/salary-schedule2

30. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 3, 2014

Happy to help! I have it bookmarked and use it often. :)

31. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 3, 2014

Really? $15 an hour is basically $30K per year. I don't know any district in PA paying that low. Are you not at a public school because I know charters, parochial and private can be low. Even Philly starts higher than that. Starting seems to be about $40-$45K without a Masters. I'm only on step 3 (even though it's my 6th year, we've had freezes and when I started you started on 0 not 1, I'll still be on step 3 next year when it'll be my 7th year in the district) and before my Masters bump I made $48K. Haven't you been teaching for a few years? Just wondering what neck of PA is paying that low because even the lower paying districts in the Philly area aren't that low to the best of my knowledge.

32. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 3, 2014

MrsC, I love to use commonsense media for my own kids, I find the parent reviews to be more on par than the site suggestion. I know you'd never show anything without previewing it first, but it's a good place to look at first to see if should just rule it out automatically.

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 3, 2014

That's exactly how I use it.

34. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

May 7, 2014

As a parent, I would be grateful to you for showing your students how it really was, not sugar-coated, not edited, not censored. 8th grade is the typical "Anne Frank" grade, and it's the perfect age for students to learn how things are. A description means nothing. A picture is worth a thousand words. I have no comprehension of adults who believe our older kids need to be shielded from facts. First graders, no. Middle school: definitely yes.

35. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 7, 2014

To a fine point, I totally agree. However, if Milsey had known about that one scene in the camp, she could have made sure it was a teachable, serious moment. With that kind of surprise, it could too easily turn into LOLBoobies for a class of that age.