Am I Expecting Too Much?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2006

Sometimes I think I expect too much of my 4's and 5's. When I tell them it is time to clean up their areas, the first thing they do is whine. That is fine...whine away. When they are finished cleaning and I tell them to put their coats on to go outside, they do. So far, so good. However, what happens next just drives me WILD!!! A few of the boys start to crawl around and mess around , and get really rowdy and loud. It infuriates me. They do it every single day and every single day, I have to "get after them" and they miss part of recess. It's like they are never going to catch on and it just makes me crazy!!! Am I expecting too much of them??? This one boy in particular seems to forget things the second after I tell him!!! My attitude has not been very good lately and I am beginning to wonder if I need to lighten up...or continue being strict about them not being loud and rowdy EVER indoors. Do you guys put up with all the horseing around???

3. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Sep 22, 2006

I guess it depends on how loud and rowdy. I don't mind noise, but I HATE screaming. I think a little rowdy is OK, but if it's too loud for others in the neighborhood, then it's too loud period.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2006

Well, what really bugs me about these few is that they are the crawling around playing and scrambling around while the other kids are being so good ... they have their coats on and are sitting quietly on the rug...with these goof offs just acting out every single day. Yes, I've tried the rewards and praises for the ones who are doing what they are supposed to do, but these couple of kids just don't get it. I have to remind myself that is how it is for adults, too and they just might grow up to be a couple of people who will never"get it." Makes me crazy!

5. Mama Chick

Mama Chick Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

How about putting some books out on the carpet for those who have their coats on and are ready to go outside or have those few who misbehave sit at seperate tables to wait while you get the others ready?

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2006

I'm right there with you, Grammy. My AM class is rowdy and crawling all over the place no matter what I do. I'm losing my mind.
    Kim

7. LissiaLou

LissiaLou Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

Figure out what it is that they like most like Spiderman, Spongebob, or maybe a favorite toy/thing. Ask the parent or even the child. I once had a ROWDY boy who even started getting Physical with the other kids...just being mean. His mother told me he absolutely loved his cowboy boots and until she said that I didn't realize he wore them everyday! When ever he'd do those awful things or simply just would not cooperate, I'd take his boots. He figured out pretty quickly that he wouldn't get'em back until he followed th rules. He became one of my favorites.

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2006

Grammy, I am the same way. At 4 and 5, they should know better than to crawl around on the floor like babies when they are suppose to be doing something else, if you ask me. I have a girl who is like this during times of the day when she shouldn't be and I am always telling her to stand up like a big girl and just do as I ask. There is a time and place for pretending and horsing around, and it's not at this moment in time.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2006

JenPooh, that's how I feel...I tell them to stand up on their feet...they're not babies and don't need to be crawling around roaring in other friends faces...especially when we are getting ready to go outside. They need to learn to sit for a couple of minutes and just SIT there...without constant tangibles in their hands or someone entertaining them. They can look around the room while they're sitting there or talk with one another for gods sakes. I tell them that in their life there are many things that they have to wait for...so they might as well get used to it now. kids now days are spoiled and so used to being entertained that they don't learn to just sit and do NOTHING once in a while.
    Thanks for all of your replies. You all have good ideas and ways to teach.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2006

I'm old fashioned like you Grammy. What ever happened to the days where children just sat and waited patiently for something just because that was the way it was? I know that is how it was when I was little. You just did it and that was that, because the adult said so, period. Children are spoiled today for sure and they need to realize that not every moment in life is fun and games.

11. Sabby12s

Sabby12s Companion

Sep 22, 2006

Is there any way that you could have them "practice" sitting patiently and quietly while the rest of the children played?

I tell my kids that when we enter the building we are quiet and if they cannot be quiet they will come back outside the building and practise entering it quietly. I have the same rule about entering the classroom. If a child enters the room shouting or talking loudly I tell them to leave the room until they can be quiet (there is always a teacher in the hall when I do this).

After a few times they get the picture and figure out that their friends get to play while they practise entering the building/classroom quietly (boring).

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2006

Yes I do all that and these two still don't get it. It's like they are 2 year olds...they have NO discipline at home...none and they act just like their parents...last week one of them called another child an a s s-----. So you see the pattern...repeat offender...over and over and over and over...the one acts out if he thinks I am not in the room, like if I stepped into the bathroom to get something and I pop right back out, he will be stepping over the couch...so he gets in trouble and the then it starts all over again in a little while. I can't stand sneaky kids.

13. TanyaLynn

TanyaLynn Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

I would try to implement a reward system. The quicker everyone gets to the carpet, the quicker they can go outside. It's bad to punish the other kids for only a few kid's mistakes, but I would say that until everyone is sitting nice and quiet, you're not taking them outside.

14. Jenni

Jenni Rookie

Sep 23, 2006

I know it sounds harsh, but have you tried having them sit out the whole recess? Or is there someone else they could wait inside with until the can behave? I taught Preschoolers this summer 3-4 so not a huge difference. These kids had no consistancy so when I started there they were awful. They couldn't sit long enough to hear a story let alone stand in a quiet line to go outside. Well there were always two of us. So I could tell the kids I would call quiet listeners to line up and I'd leave anyone who wasn't following directions on the carpet. Then, I'd leave them with the other teacher. After I did this a couple times the kids caught on and could walk outside quietly. Pretty much all of them made it outside within a few minutes but when they saw I was serious and they wouldn't get to go out they shaped up. Some didn't seem to remember it right away from day to day but as soon as kids started getting to line up they started to get it. Some kids just seem to always need constant reminders specially if there isn't support at home.

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2006

Yea, I do all of those things. "He" has to sit on the playground while the others play. It about kills him, but then he does the same stupid thing the next day. No support at home, but I'm working on that. I talked with his mom about his swearing at another child and she admitted it's her fault...she talks like that at home. So, I will work with the family...and look for improvements.

16. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 23, 2006

My 3's finish their snack, put their grabage in their cup and their hands in their lap. They are NOT called to get their coats for the playground until they sit the way we've asked. When we call them, they can throw away their garbage and get their coat, then line up at the door. You don't stand in line apprpriately? Go sit back down. Sometimes it takes a LONG time before we can go outside (if there are only 1-2 kids who haven't done what they're supposed to, one of us stays with them and the rest can go out).

Grammy, I don't think you're being unreasonable.

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2006

Thanks, Clarnet. I guess one of the reasons for problems is that I am alone with the kids and many times I am getting something cleaned up or put away while they get ready to go outside. I know I should just leave everything and focus on the group during this time, but there is just always so much for me to get done...without any help.

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 23, 2006

One of the things that helped my guys last year was having some of our photo books at the door, and letting them look at them in a chair while they waited for their friends. We put out chairs, and they sat until we were ready to go.

Don't know if that would work, but figured i'd toss it out there. ;)

19. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 24, 2006

I teach 4 year olds in a public school. I have no problems with my children sitting on the carpet. We have a rule I made up last year with "give me five." The children knows that this means eyes watching, ears listening, mouths clothes, criss-cross applesauce with hands in pocket (hole in there lap). If they do not they move their car to yellow. When they move their car to yellow they lose 5 minutes and if they continue they move their car to red and lose all play time. My children know I mean what I say so usually when they clean up and come to the carpet they are all sitting waiting on the next thing. Also, I dismiss the ones who are sitting correctly to get their coats first usually one or two at a time. You might sing songs while this is going on to limit the disruption and not give them anytime to misbehave. You can tap a head while everyone is singing and this will signal when a child can go get their coats. I hope this helps. I don't think you are to hard on the children. I think you can start out hard and they will learn to respect you and your rules.

20. gracieh

gracieh Rookie

Sep 24, 2006

Is there someone who could stay inside with the ones that don't want to do the right thing? If so that is what I'd try... when they see you leave... they might change there tune

21. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Sep 26, 2006

Grammy,

First of all, you're not expecting too much!! Kids this age are capable of exercising self-control (honestly, I believe it comes down to parenting, but I won't get into that). And you know that as well as all of us. You've had enough experience with children that I'm sure you've tried all the things in the book. And honestly, I have no advice to offer because I know you've tried it.

I have a very difficult class this year, too. I'm dealing with similar situations. I have a little boy who is the youngest in his family and is definitely spoiled by his teenage siblings ('nuf said, right there). The only thing that works for him, is constant reminding and re-reminding, as well as positive reinforcement. I praise every little thing he does right. "Wow! I love how you came in so quietly. Now, let's get those shoes off and go downstairs." (although he knows to take his shoes off and go downstairs immediately, and everyone else is already down there waiting) He hasn't taken leaps and bounds in his behavior, but I have noticed he puffs out his little chest every time I give him a compliment. Sometimes it's very hard to find one thing to compliment him on, but I always try. Consistency for me is also the key.

I don't have any great advice for you, but know that there are others who feel your frustration. It's hard when you're doing it all alone. You're doing a great job!

Good luck!

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2006

Thanks, Shorty! I have been working with this particular child for weeks. He doesn't remember anything when it comes to "rules!" Gosh he drives me nuts. Today he was running full force through my room again! I have to keep him sitting while the others get ready to go out to play...or do anything and I have talked with him about why and how he could have more freedoms if...bla, bla, bla..He just looks at me like I am not even talking! Oh well...at least I have a small class this year.