Am I doomed to relive my first year experiences?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Kris8806, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Mar 23, 2009

Hi everyone!

I taught elementary for one year and then left teaching for two years. Now I am trying to get back into the classroom because I missed it. My first year was rough , but I now understand that many teachers have similar horror stories. My issues were mostly with parents questioning every single thing I did. ((Side note - I didn't leave because of the bad experience.))

Now that I'm returning will I have another "first year"? Everyone says your second year is better but since I took two years off is it like starting all over again and having to redo the torture of my first year? I HOPE NOT! I feel like I learned a lot from that first year and know where I need to improve.

Also - will the school make a difference? If I go back to my old school vs. going to a new school?

Thanks in advance for your help. :thumb:

3. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Mar 23, 2009

I'm sure that you haven't lost everything that you've learned in two years. The curriculum will likely be different (does it change every year for your district too?), but you've already got a handle on classroom management, so you're ahead of the game.

The school may make a difference. Things like student demographics affect a school - for instance changing from a Title 1 to a very low poverty school would likely be very different. Also different administration may make a difference. Some administrators are very hands-on, some are completely hands-off.

Welcome back :)

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 23, 2009

What is your confidence level? The reason second year tends to get better is you tend to have more confidence after having a year under your belt. You've learned what to do, and what not to do... you haven't yet learned everything of course, but enough to feel a lot more confident than during your first year.

5. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Mar 23, 2009

Thank you both for your help. :hugs:

Dfleming - you're right. It does seem to have a lot to do with confidence. While my confidence won't be as high as if I had gone straight into my second year, it has increased since that first year. Now I know that I can hold my own in a classroom. I'm also older and have personally grown since then.

I hope to show that I've grown and that I can definitely have a strong comeback.

My curriculum will probably not have changed as much but there will be adjustments that need to be made. For example - when I taught I had a chalk board and now all the schools I'm interviewing at have Smartboards but that's a plus. I'm excited to have additional technology at my fingertips.

Thanks again!

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2009

If you wind up in a new school, it may seem a bit like the first year with the new school, new co-workers, new expectations, etc. Thats how it was when I switched jobs in my 2nd year. But I also felt more confident as a teacher and used my experience to my advantage. GL!

7. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Mar 23, 2009

This is so true..I've experienced this during my first year. I looked back at the first quarter and how tired and stressed out I was. We are starting the fourth quarter tomorrow and I'm not nearly as stressed out. I can't wait for next year so I can try out some new things I learned this year!! :woot:

8. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Mar 24, 2009

It is very true and I hadn't thought of it that way until it was mentioned. The first year I was in survival mode for much of the first half of the year. At least now I'm more comfortable with what goes on in a classroom. It was harder for me my first year I think because I was not an Ed. major so I had never spent time in a classroom.

Thanks Leighbball! I'm very shy and have trouble initially socializing with coworkers so the thought of starting fresh in a new job makes me nervous. Luckily I've had good experiences with co-workers in the past.

9. Arky

Arky Comrade

Mar 24, 2009

My first year was interesting too. I was layed off after that first year. I stayed home for two years with my newborn and then returned to the same room and grade. I suppose I had learned some things but it was still a challenge in many ways. I figured out to get a file folder and put ideas in it of what I did the first of school. I also wrote in the back of my lesson plans things I wanted to do differently the next year. This really helped me. Each year I got better and learned more. I think one of the sad things about education now is the new teachers are watched so much more than we were. We made mistakes too and struggled with many things. One of my strengths was discipline. Because I turned a little girl around that was a behavior problem I earned this reputation of being a great first year teacher, yet I was straggling with lesson plans and organization.

10. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Mar 24, 2009

Thanks Arky. It's very true what you said about the new teachers being watched more closely now. I was constantly called out for things that all the veteran teachers were doing and I had been instructed by them to do it that way. Yet I was the one that would be told something about it. My main problem the first time was classroom management. I wasn't consistent enough. As far as teaching the material and keeping up with lesson plans. I was fine. I would like to get more creative in my lessons though. Since I spent so much time on discipline I had less time for fun activities. I was sure that I was going to be fired after my harsh first year and was amazed when the P told me that everyone has a rough first year and that he wanted me to stay on for the next year.