Am I doing this right?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by texashistory, Aug 6, 2014.

1. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 6, 2014

So there's the general application then you send it to each available position. For me I see some specified to a school and others that just say the district but for a specific group of the same position (2014 elementary in class support/resource)

Do I kept deleting and uploading each tailored cover letter that specifically says "elementary resource" then when I get to a middle school resource go back to the general app, delete the elementary cover letter and attach the middle school one and hit send?

I get personalizing it but this seems so much more confusing than it should be or I'm making it so.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2014

Are you using Applitrack? Applitrack, and many other similar systems, will only allow the prospective employer to view what is currently uploaded. I'd suggest a more generic cover letter. My consortium specifically says that it should be addressed to "XX Area County Schools". I then write that "I am seeking any potential elementary, middle school math, or middle school social studies position", since those are my certification areas.

4. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 6, 2014

Yes, Applitrack and SearchSoft. That makes sense but everything I'm reading say to tailor it. That doesn't give me much leeway to tailor it.

Thanks!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2014

Some districts set up their own Applitrack. Tailor it for them. Others do a consortium. It is impossible to tailor it because they A. all have access to anything you upload and B. it can limit the amount you upload.
    If the posting doesn't say that you can't contact them, you could email/mail your tailored cover letter to them.

I interviewed with 15-20 districts via Applitrack last year alone. I'm pretty sure that is more than anyone else on the forum has done in a single year. If they've done more, they haven't advertised it ;) Basically, I've been successful with Applitrack. I wouldn't try and steer anyone the wrong way :)

6. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Aug 6, 2014

Applitrack is such a pain! If it's an Applitrack for an individual district (which, thankfully here in NJ, most of them are like that), it's easier to tailor your cover letters. If it's a consortium, I agree with giraffe that you should upload a generic letter and mail or email your tailored letter to principals at the schools you want to work at. Good luck!

7. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Aug 7, 2014

I was beginning to wonder if AppliTrack was the giant black hole of the internet, but I did get an interview from it last week. :) I do a generic letter for AppliTrack and then if possible, find out the principal and send a campus-specific letter to that person, indicating that I applied electronically and my info is one file.