Am I doing it right?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by apple1, Mar 8, 2010.

1. apple1

apple1 Rookie

Mar 8, 2010

Are most of you teaching reading in reading groups by round robin reading? Just give me a quick yep or nope. I'm just wondering if I'm on the right path. I posted an earlier post asking how else to teach reading in groups beside round robin reading and I only got 2 responses. I just wonder if that's because most of you are doing RR reading or if you just don't want to reply. THANKS FOR THE HELP!!:woot:

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 8, 2010

Nope, never.

Edited to add....I teach 5th grade now, but even when I was with the younger grades (2nd and 3rd) I always had the students whisper read so I could listen. I never had them read round robin.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2010

I don't do round robin reading with my kids during guided reading. :) I typically have them use whisper phones and read at their own pace and I listen in on their reading.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 8, 2010

I am NOT a fan of round robin reading. The main reason I don't like round robin reading is that the only student who is really paying attention is the student who's reading. Also, round robin reading can be humiliating to students who are reading below grade level. Many teachers at my school think it's the worst reading strategy ever. I wouldn't necessarily say it's the worst, but I don't like it or use it.

Have you tried jigsaw reading? I am also a fan of echo reading for students who are reading below grade level.

Check out this website: http://classroom.jc-schools.net/read/RoundRobinReading.pdf

6. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Mar 23, 2010

I was told by my school we shouldn't use round robin, that guided reading isn't done this way anymore.

7. old n new

old n new Rookie

Mar 24, 2010

Lots of different types of reading

I really try to utilize a lot of different types of reading. I do popcorn read, partner read, echo read and individual whisper read. I know there are others but can't think of them now. Something I have done this week that my kids LOVE is that on the readers that are just copied I let the kids highlight all of the words that have our focus sound. They really enjoyed it and it helped them watch for the new sound we were working on.

8. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Apr 9, 2010

We whisper read.

9. meltua

meltua Rookie

Apr 10, 2010

nope and ditto Jill

10. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Apr 10, 2010

Whisper read. All kiddos usually with same book. I check in with each child one-on-one. For my lowest group, we will sometimes read the book together as they follow along....they're still learning the concept of one-to-one correspondence. If we are reading something whole group, I'll ask for volunteers. I have used round robin VERY sparingly just for something a bit different, but usually with my stronger readers who would anything in front of anybody and not care. :)

Good luck

11. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Apr 11, 2010

sometimes to practice reading with expression

If you are using guided reading, all the students should be at the same level in each group. I have twenty four students/six groups based on reading levels (DRA). I do mostly whisper reading but we also do round robin to improve reading with expression. It is only a max of six students in the group and they are on the same level so there is not the humiliation/boredom of mixed groups. Guided reading is NOT the same as mixed groups. I think the upper grades get confused with this as they do not always test the students reading levels in the upper grades and put a span in a reading group. :2cents:

12. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

May 16, 2010

Nope to round robin.
    Yes to whisper reading the same book.

13. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

May 16, 2010

Nope don't normally use round robin reading.

I use choral reading, echo reading, parnter reading, or whisper reading.

The only time I use round robin reading is when we are reading or practicing for a play.

14. hpatty55

hpatty55 Rookie

May 17, 2010

I use popcorn reading a lot they enjoy it and you are still listening to each child read. They also read in partners. We echo read with small sections or if I want them to read with more expression.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 17, 2010

No. Reading workshop.

16. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 19, 2010

No, I use choral reading and partner reading.

17. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

May 28, 2010

never.. we do echo read (mostly my lower group), choral read, partner read, and whisper read.

18. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 28, 2010

No-they read silently and then I put my hand on each childs book individually and they know to read silently to me.

19. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

May 28, 2010

I would read Guided Reading by Fountas and Pinnell. Lengthy, but very informational.