Am I crazy or what?

Discussion in 'High School' started by LLBeanie81, Jul 20, 2007.

1. LLBeanie81

LLBeanie81 Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I am 26 and an engineer. I've been out of school for about 4 years. I am currently working. About a year ago I went to an open house looking for potential teachers. I took the necessary math tests for Mass to teach and passed for high school math. I have no teacher related education - just my BS in engineering.

Anyways, fast forward a year and I have a potential teaching position presented to me for physics. It is 10th grade, so no problem with the subject matter.

They are willing to stick me with a mentor and start teaching the beginning of September. I have NO teaching experience whatsoever. I guess that physics teachers are really in demand lol.

Am I crazy? I was drawn to teaching out of frustration with the 'corporate' life post-college. Not for me. I like people and fun and I like to be creative. I am looking forward to putting lesson plans together and being a crazy physics teacher haha. A lot of people have suggested it to me as a profession.

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice. Should I get some classes behind my belt first? Spend more time in the classroom? This opportunity just kind of came my way and seems like it could be a good path to get into teaching.

Sorry this is so long, TIA.

3. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

It sounds like a great opportunity to me especially since you will have a mentor. Obviously you have the subject matter down so now it is simply getting in there and working with the kids. I think being creative and making physics as fun and interesting as you can will go a long way in winning over the students and building your confidence in the classroom. My advice would be to go for it and give it your all. Keep us updated.

4. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

I think you are going to have to get your certification some how (which you can easily do while you teach). There are various different ways to get certified, look into alternative certification as well as any post-baccalaureate courses your college might provide.

As far as "being prepared" as a teacher there are all sorts of great books out there I suggest you read- 1st Days of School, Fred Jones Tools for Teaching, Assertive Discipline, First year teachers survival kit, etc (just go to amazon and you will find TONS of books). From there find out district policies and start to think about your classroom rules, procedures (such as bell work, turning in homework, grading), seating arrangements etc.

You have a job, and that can sometimes be the hardest part! I think you will be fine teaching just look into programs to get your certificate (and those programs will also teach you things like classroom management and techniques)

5. LLBeanie81

LLBeanie81 Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

Thank you. That is wonderful advice :)
    I haven't looked at a physics book in well, ummmm... 5 years? However, my engineering major was pretty physics based, so I can't imagine that 10th grade physics would be a challenge.

I am looking forward to being creative with the students. I think that with physics you can do that! Fun!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

Physics teachers are impossible to find!!

If this is something you really want to do, and the opportunity is there, well, I think you should take it.

10th grade physics? These kids will be bright, probably not too inclined to be horribly behaved.

I say go for it. Take the job, get the syllabus and course outline and anything else you can find, then come back to us with questions.

Welcome, and good luck!

7. LLBeanie81

LLBeanie81 Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

Well, I can start in September and then I need to take the Mass test for Physics (yikes!). That'll be good for 5 yrs. Then after that I need my initial license which they have a program for - that takes about a year. Next step is the master's degree. Thank you for those book titles!! I will get over to Borders ASAP!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

first call and accept the job!

9. LLBeanie81

LLBeanie81 Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

Wow, you guys are great! Well, all students have to take physics at this school. One of my best friends went there and she thinks it is a fabulous town. It is a mid to upper class town. It is a great place to start for me I think.

I meet with the dept head next week when he gets back from vacation, so I'll get all of the official stuff then.

Also what throws me off is that I'm getting a good offer from a company I interviewed at a while ago. It is about 3 miles away from where I live - easy commute - good pay - but it is corporate drone life as usual.

10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2007

There are few opportunities in life where you get to totally change direction, to take your life onto a different path. You have been given that choice, the question is, are you brave enough to take the road you haven't traveled? If you are and you know and love your subject matter well, take the job, but get some books on teaching pedegogy, like Love and Logic in the classroom, anything by Ron Clark, The first days of school by Harry Wong (geared more for elementary, but much of it is easily applied to higer grades) and then run with it.

11. nsatterfield

nsatterfield Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

Been there, done that, and didn't even get a t-shirt!

I worked in accounting for 13 years, and went back to college to get certified in middle grades education-ELA and science. Last year was my first year teaching and the happiest most satisfying of my life:)

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2007

Everybody is always looking for Physics teachers. I am certified in Chemistry and Physics and have never actually applied for a teaching job. I get at least one call every year from a principal asking if I want a job. If you decide to take the job and you need any help, let me know.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 20, 2007

My friend went to school for engineering. She taught high school for one year than went on to get her Doctorate.
    BTW have you looked into Belmont Hill. I have a friend that works there. You may not have to jump through all Mass's hoops there.
    And I do believe they pay better than the public schools.

14. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jul 20, 2007

I worked in a corporate job for about 12 years before I couldn't take it anymore and went to my first love - teaching. I just completed my 3rd year and LOVE it! I experienced quite a pay cut, but the many other benefits have more than made up for the financial loss! Good luck in your decision. :)

15. LLBeanie81

LLBeanie81 Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

Hi there, I'm glad to read so many positives about teaching. Some people are negative about it. Honestly, if I switch right now, I wouldn't be taking any kind of pay cut. I've only been working corporate for 4 years. That is a reason why now seems to be as good of a time as any.

I will keep you guys update. Again, I really appreciate it.

16. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Also, you could always tutor in addition to teaching if there ever comes a time you need to make more money =o)