Am I being strung along? EDIT: I GUESS NOT!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Darkhorse, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I am just looking for some perspective from other people. I interviewed with a school for a 2nd or 3rd grade position on Thurs. They told me at the interview that they would be making their decision that day, but they needed some time to do background checks and call references. Okay, whatever.

Well I waited for a rejection call (I'm pretty pessimistic at this point) all day on Thurs but didn't get a call. I didn't hear anything until about 8:15 Friday night when the principle called me to "get more information" for a background check. She also gave me her cell phone number so I could reach her if she didn't get back to me by Monday.

Well you can imagine that I was incredibly elated and was jumping up and down thinking I had got the job. However, she never offered me the job.... Saturday morning she called me again to get alternate phone numbers for my references and left me her personal e-mail address so I could send her some reference information over the weekend.

All weekend I didn't hear anything and got no response to my e-mails. Monday comes and I still hadn't heard from her so I called her cell phone like she asked me to previously. She apologized for not calling or contacting me sooner and said she was at an admin conference for the next few days and didn't have much time.

So now it's Tuesday, new teaching training begins Thursday, and I don't know if I should be optimistic or pessimistic at this point. Some people say that I am pretty much guaranteed the job if she is calling my references, but some others have said that they call the references of the top two or three. I just don't know what to think...

Any thoughts?:help:

3. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 31, 2007

Your best bet is to call the principal. Just ask if she was able to reach your references or ask if she's made a decision. It seems like she's open to communication since she's given you several ways to get in touch with her. Use them!

4. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

I would say you are certainly being highly considered for the job. It must be pretty annoying not to know. It sounds like she is busy and probably not putting the hiring process on the forefront of her priorities. As annoying as it is, just hang in there. Do something fun to pass the time. Can't wait to hear!! Wishing for the best for you.

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

It sounds like you are one of her choices and she is waiting to hear back from her top choice.

6. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Thank you all for your responses and your honesty. But I am very happy to say that I wasn't being strung along and I GOT THE JOB!!!!:D :haha: :D :2up:

I am kinda thinking that she might have offered me the job when she first called, but she was on her cell phone and was breaking up. I may have just missed it and was worrying all this time for nothing.

Anyway, thanks again!

7. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Whew! Glad that is over for you! I was getting nervous for you too!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  8. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

That is so great!! You know they say about 80% of what we worry about never happens. I mean the "bad" result. hehe Good luck in your new position!

9. MsTeacher

MsTeacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Congratulations! That is such good news!!
    So what is the school like? Did you get 2nd or 3rd?

10. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

What's the name of that cell company with fewer dropped calls? :crosseyed:

Hooray for you! :party: Wow, you don't have too much time before you have to get to work...

11. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 31, 2007

:2up: Congratulations!!! Glad it worked out well for you:2up:

12. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 31, 2007

Yay!! Good for you!

13. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 1, 2007

I was betting you would...or at least I SHOULD have! ;) so happy to hear. Be sure to celebrate before you get down to the nitty gritty of planning!!

14. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Aug 1, 2007

Thanks, everyone!! I am so excited to finally get an offer. I actually don't know if it is 2nd or 3rd grade because I forgot to ask. :eek: I will find out tomorrow when the principal calls me back to give me all the information.

Now I can get all the teacher stuff out of my closet... YAY!!

Thanks!!!

15. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 1, 2007

Hooray!! Congratulations on the new position. Thank goodness you can start getting ready for the new year.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2007

Oh, how funny that you forgot to ask, Darkhorse! (Hope it's not calculus!) Congratulations. Have a wonderful time planning.