Am I being discriminated against? Or it's a bad luck job search?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by VikaPe31, Aug 14, 2015.

1. VikaPe31

VikaPe31 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

Hi everyone again!
    I am currently looking for EC teaching position in NC. I had about 5 interviews since April. I was still student teaching April, May. Then I had one in June and now I had two more this month. I answer to all of interviewers questions correctly, of course I know that it is not ideal. However, I feel as if interviewers like me and I feel hopeful after the interview...and then nothing. I received good Education. I have Bachelor's in International Studies and languages. I fluently speak three languages. I can also read and translate written Spanish. I have graduate certificate in Special Education, experience working as a teacher assistant with students with special needs. My successful internship, recommendation letters and references....I am very articulate. I do have an accent. I am Russian and moved to the U. S. in 2007. I am legal permanent resident. My accent is not as strong as of most Russian immigrants. Due to the fact that I studied English preparing to become a translator while in Russia. Thus, my English grammar is excellent and I do not have any problems with students understanding me....on top of that I spent thousands of dollars on my education here in America. I am married and have two beautiful daughters...I am just wondering if I ever get a job....because it is long overdue....I am ready to start my career...and I am very passionate about what I chose to do. I just got accepted into MAT program in Special Education because I am serious about my career and I want to gain even more knowledge in the field. However, even my education now requires the job to conduct my research for my Master's....

I am wondering what is it what I do not posses that other teachers do? Is it prejudice? I am 31. I mean I do not even know what to do or think? I edited my Resume recently...and I am receiving my Professional I license in a few weeks.
    What should I do? My professors say that I do not have a problem with my accent at all....

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2015

I really don't think it would be discrimination. I would do some mock interviews. Make sure you share some personality with them. I've sat on panels, and we generally hired the person with the best personality fit for our school. Of course they were highly qualified, but personality was usually the decision-maker.

4. VikaPe31

VikaPe31 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

I did mock interviews...we practiced at my university and I am usually pretty good. I have a sense of humor and usually I find the way to make people laugh or smile....I have lots of friends and I am the most loyal and forgiving....I am wondering should I call HR and ask them whether something is wrong with my application? Or do I go to some interview work shop? The questions at the interview are pretty standard...and I have experience and knowledge in the field...wondering if there are some interview work shops..
    .thank you for your response..it makes me feel better.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2015

You just finished your certification in May and have already had 5 interviews. Despite your impressive list of skills, you're a newbie...don't look at not having an offer yet as discrimation, but more likely a lack of experience compared to other candidates who may have more experience. Your writing in your post does show some grammatical errors-this could be a factor as well.:sorry:

Keep at it. Your abilities and skills listed in your post are quite impressive and could make you stand out for the right position:thumb:. Good luck to you.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2015

I agree that there may not be any discrimination here. You are competing in a saturated market against people with more experience.

On a positive note you have received more interviews than many people with lots of experience. You must have an exceptional resume.

7. VikaPe31

VikaPe31 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

Well, despite my good Resume I have just received another no on the job....so disappointed and upset. As for any errors in my writing I do apologize. However, my family is in a big financial trouble and I can't get a job. I had three interviews and even the worst school in the district did not hire me....should I apply as a teacher assistant....I don't know....it's so stressful...I was told I am a good teacher and students liked me....

8. VikaPe31

VikaPe31 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

You said that grammatical errors could be a factor as well...How can they see any grammatical errors? Besides, I proof read my emails and give it to my American friend to double check just in case. Of course I don't want to spook anybody with that. I do know that my weak spot is punctuation...
    Thank you

9. VikaPe31

VikaPe31 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

As far as discrimination goes. I am the only one foreign Special Educator in my school, student teaching, observing and anywhere I went in the EC field. Now the question is: Is this a factor for NC community? I do feel rejected in my guts, because they are surprised that I am Russian......but I am kinda Russian American..I lived in NC for the past 9 years and I love my town. I do consider it mine because I lived here for the most part of my adulthood.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2015

I lived and taught in NC for six years. The rural area I taught in was very wary of outsiders at first. My principal was also from the north and we would joke about it at times. They have to warm up to you. Once I built a good reputation, parents didn't even think about it.
    The area I lived in was much more suburban with a lot of 'transplants' from other areas. Everyone was accepted without thought.

At the school I taught at, being Russian would not have mattered. They were very committed to finding the best person for the school. If anything, being fluent in Spanish would have helped you stand out.

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 14, 2015

There are many reasons an interview committee might not choose someone. Sometimes there are several amazing candidates and one is just a bit better. I don't think you are being discriminated against. If anything, you may be having a hard time because you don't have any experience yet. Most of the time, someone with experience is going to be able to interview better. Many principals are also wary of hiring first year teachers because of all the extra support they will need.

Too bad you are't in my state. There's a huge sped shortage across the entire state right now. We have an open position we can't fill. I know of a few schools that are starting the year with no sped teacher at all because there just isn't anyone to hire.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 14, 2015

Keep applying. If you don't get a teaching job soon, consider subbing or applying for a para position. Many a new teacher has gotten into a district that way.

13. VikaPe31

VikaPe31 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

Thank you so much for all of your kind words! I am feeling a bit more confident now and encouraged. I am applying in a different school system now and I am hoping to have better luck. It's further away from my house but I do need a job. I applied for a sub but never heard back anything even though I am licensed.

14. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 17, 2015

I work in a location with a high ESL population, some teachers actually residing in that location within walking distance from the school! There are lots of teachers and staff with heavy accents (usually Russian; the location is a huge Russian and Uzbek population) where English was not their first language. No discrimination there! As long as they can teach effectively :)

Best of luck!

15. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Aug 18, 2015

Are you willing to relocate? I just read an article saying that Winston Salem/Forsyth Co. was in major need of EC teachers. Charlotte-Meck as well.