Am I being cheap?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by John Lee, Jul 27, 2015.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 27, 2015

Looking at tickets to a Seattle Seahawk football game this... haven't been to a game in YEARS. And I know football there is a extra-premium, given the limited number of games in a season (vs. MLB or NBA). The LOWEST price tickets are $450 range! Four-hundred.

I'm all for having fun with friends/family, "creating memories" and such, but... what the?? I see people posting pics of themselves at the ballgame, etc. Seems like everybody goes to these types of things...

Am I being cheap?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 27, 2015

You are not being cheap. There is no way I'd pay that for a ticket to a sporting game.

4. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 27, 2015

A single ticket is $450?!?! That's too much.
    I've gotten 4 texans tickets for around $150 a piece and they were decent seats.
    Maybe go to a preseason game, if they're cheaper. Or spend the money and say eff it-if this is something you realllllllllllllllly want.
    Just eat ramen noodles for dinner the rest of the year ;) lol

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2015

I'm glad the only sport I care about is tennis in which I've gone to some (pro) matches in which the tickets definitely aren't that amount! But I do love many Olympics sports that usually only appear during the Olympics.

Now, if this is just something you plan to do once, maybe twice in your life just to have the experience, then save up for it & go for it OR put it on the credit card, then pay it off ASAP. I'll never be one to tell anyone they can't or shouldn't do something. We only live once!

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 27, 2015

I have Saints season tickets. The face value on our tickets (admittedly in the nose bleed seats) is $35, at most. For years they were $25 but I think they've finally gone up. At those prices, you should look into where the Seahawks are travelling this year and make a vacation of it! Actually, one season ticket in New Orleans in the cheap seats is only $348 including service fees. And they come with all of the perks of being a season ticket holder! (There's a reason the Superdome has been sold out on a season ticket basis since after Katrina...) Looking online, the cheapest available for the Saints season opener are $64.

Wait, are looking at the NFL ticket exchange? Cause I'm seeing Seahawks tickets for $222 there, and it's the only way to guarantee your ticket isn't a fake. Make sure you're using the right website! http://www.ticketexchangebyticketmaster.com/NFL/seattle-seahawks-tickets/

For what it's worth, season ticket holders pay the same for preseason games as we do for regular season games, at least in New Orleans.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 27, 2015

I was curious and checked on Saints tickets. Depending on the opposing team they ranged from around $85 to $150. Still a lot. I agree that $450 is crazy. Maybe do a tailgating event, instead? Down here they are huge and a ton of fun.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2015

$450 is a lot. Buy on the resale market...many season ticket holders resell their tickets as do fans who have tickets but can't make it to a game...keep checking...prices fluctuate as the game date approaches.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 27, 2015

I found some in the $50 range. I know when I list mine I list them at face value plus a little to cover the transaction fee that I get charged. Otherwise I'd lose money selling them. I usually sell mine for $50 each when we can't make games. It also helps defray the cost of the preseason games which we never seem to be able make because they are on a school day during the school year. Those tickets never seem to sell, but I have to pay for them even if no one uses them. (Though this season we have the Patriots in the preseason, so people may be interested in seeing Brady play since he will be suspended at least a couple of games.) I know Saints tickets are cheaper than LSU tickets...

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2015

People will spend money on what they want and, usually, don't spend on what they deem to be "not worth it."

I love college and pro football so I would pay for the tickets if I wanted to go to a game. I can understand how others wouldn't - doesn't make them cheap.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 27, 2015

I don't even want to admit what BF has to spend to get OSU season tickets... But he loves it and makes it work for his budget. There's a lot he would cut out before those tickets. Me on the other hand... I'd only pay that to see an Indians playoff game :D It just depends on how much you're willing to spend. Check it out as the game gets closer. Tickets may go down.

12. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 27, 2015

Thanks for the info... MissCeliaB, thanks for the link to the ticket exchange. I'm looking at the Pittsburgh Steelers/Seattle game... tickets still in the $270 and up range. Can the discrepancy (between SEA games and N.O. games) really be that much?

13. MrTeach11

MrTeach11 Rookie

Jul 27, 2015

Because of how well the steelers fans travel and combined with how well the hawks currently are, makes that game a premier game. You can find a much less expensive tickets if you look at a different opponent. But if that is your only option, then expect to pay a bit more compared to other games.

And yes, there will be a a difference between different teams.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2015

^^^ Yep; opponent matter. When a team plays the Jags, Titans or Browns tickets are cheaper than if they are playing the Patriots or Cowboys.

Since this is the NFL, a crappy opponent can still provide a great fan experience ... unlike CFB.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 27, 2015

Also, night games are going to cost more. They usually have better entertainment before the game and at halftime.

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 27, 2015

:( Browns fan here. Too true but still sad!

17. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 27, 2015

I'm all about taking chances, living life, YOLO, etc... but that is crazy expensive, so I wouldn't.. But I'm cheap so.. :) :)

18. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2015

I get your bf about spending for tickets and I can imagine the costs now that they are NC.

When I was at Michigan, I paid for season tickets - they were reasonably priced since I got a student rate. Since I left, I don't buy season tickets so I have to buy single game tickets which can be super expensive if they are playing a decent opponent. OSU is one of the few schools I would pay big bucks to see, especially if it was in AA.

Although, I hate them AND their heart attack faking coach.

19. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 27, 2015

:lol: I'm a transplant from Cleveland. Never got into OSU the way others do but I do still enjoy going to a game every year with my dad.

They're going to Rutgers this year and as of last month it was cheaper to buy season tickets than pay for just the OSU game! Crazy!

20. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2015

I got Yankees tickets for $50 each; not the greatest seats but far from the worst. $450 sounds ludicrous.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2015

I'm not a football fan, but based on what I know about baseball, I'm going to assume that the Steelers will drive up a ticket price. They have fans everywhere. That is why games against the Red Sox or Yankees cost more as well. Fans everywhere.

22. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2015

$450 for a football game! (That's £300 in real money). When we were over in Chicago at easter we ended up paying around $900 for pairs of tickets for 4 Hawks games. So about $112 per ticket. These were nosebleed seats!

The galling thing is that the face value of the tickets was actually $40 but by the time you have paid the fees on ticket master (they even charge you $5 if you print the ticket yourself)!. Ticket master will even handle re-sales so they take another big fee.

I don't follow Soccer over here but if you wanted to watch Manchester United or one of the big London clubs tickets can costs several hundreds of pounds per game.