Am I asking too much?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by peachacid, Mar 21, 2011.

1. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Mar 21, 2011

Should first graders know the seasons and months?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

Is kindergarten required in your district?

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 21, 2011

I would do it in morning meeting, with a song or chant, but I wouldn't test to see if they know it. It's a very abstract concept, so they are really just getting a general idea. At this age, reciting the months is really just memorization. Is it a standard?

5. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Mar 21, 2011

Yes, K is required. Both the kids I am thinking of have been to kindegarten, and one the students is repeating first grade.

I asked them to draw a picture of spring and they just drew whatever. So today I did a worksheet where they cut out pictures of each season and put them in the right box. The kid who is repeating, J, did that perfectly. The other girl, S, struggled.

I had pictures of each season on the board for reference, too.

I just think they should know things like, "In the summer it is hot" and "In the winter it is cold." But they are abstract and maybe it is too much.

I will check the standards.

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 21, 2011

I think the lesson you did is good, and the general knowledge of what happens with each season. I was really thinking the months are more abstract.

7. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Mar 21, 2011

I'm doing a similar lesson with fourth graders later...the goal is to eventually write haiku, with them.

We're going to brainstorm words, feelings, thoughts, and activities that go with each season. Then they're going to draw a picture of the season they like best.

By the way, it's state testing these few weeks so we're not supposed to do anything that's reading or math or science related. So I'm sort of breaking the rules by making them think at all...drawing is art, though, right? :thumb:

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 21, 2011

I teach first grade and I expect them to know the four seasons as well as most, if not all of the months. The months I can forgive a little, but the seasons, no way.

From what I've seen, each year, my first graders are already very familar with the seasons. Sometimes they forget spring, but they always have a clear idea of Winter, Summer and Fall.

So...no, you're not asking too much imho

9. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Mar 21, 2011

Check your standards...I know that the months of the year and days of the week are in our Math standards.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 21, 2011

We didn't begin teaching the seasons until last year (it is a new benchmark). I taught the unit mid-year, and I was shocked at how difficult it was for kindergartners. This year I'm saving it for last, and I'm hoping students will understand it better.

If it isn't a kindergarten benchmark, I wouldn't expect them to know it. Sure, you talk about seasons here and there, but knowing which months match up with which season is a little more difficult. And spring is a very tricky season for them to understand.

11. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2011

I would expect my students to know the seasons. Maybe they might get the order mixed up; but the children would know the differences in the seasons by now. I also expect the majority to know the months, they may not be able to recite the order or have them all perfect.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 22, 2011

We sand the months of the year each day I taught kindergarten. There was always one question on our promotion test about it. When we did weather during circle time, we also talked about the season, and put the marker on the correct season.

13. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 22, 2011

Here in Kindergarten, we sing a months song almost everyday and discuss the seasons, as each season comes. Problem is, in Florida, our seasons are not so different!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 22, 2011

I would think 1st graders should know them or at the very least started learning about them.

15. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Mar 24, 2011

I do not think that you are asking too much of first graders. My kindergartener knows both the months and the seasons. If asked to draw the seasons, she would be able to "show" each one correctly.

One thing that may help learn the months is a song... or other mneumonic devices.

16. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Mar 24, 2011

They could name them, but they couldn't attach the concept to the name. For example, I said, "What is it like in the winter?" and the kids had no response.

They could also name the months, in order, but didn't know that it was currently March.

17. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Mar 25, 2011

I think they should be able to differentiate from seasons. They should know to look forward to summer and say goodbye to winter for a while :). The months would be nice, but thats a little bit more involved and it has to be in order.

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2011

They should know them. If not, continue to work on it with them.