Am I answering this wrong?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by IloveSF, Jan 19, 2017.

1. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jan 19, 2017

Whenever a question comes up about strengths and such, I always say that I have a great rapport with students, because I do. Kids love me. I'm nice/sweet to the younger ones and listen to them. I joke around with the older ones and they like how I seem "in touch" with their interests. I really believe that I get many students to learn because I'm not one of those dreaded task master teachers. Yet it seems like that keeps getting me shut down. Should I ignore the fact that I have good rapport with students?

I seem to be doing a million things wrong in interviews despite being told I'm a "good interviewer." I couldn't even get a 1 day/week job teaching drama today. I am so frustrated.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  3. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jan 20, 2017

I also think my rapport with students is one of my strengths. However, I usually word it as my ability to create a positive environment where students feel safe. They feel safe to learn through making mistakes, they feel safe to ask questions, they feel safe to talk to me about any problems. I take my time to learn who my students are as people, and I use that to establish a rapport and teach them in ways that work for them.

4. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Jan 21, 2017

Do you actually say you have the ability to joke around?

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 21, 2017

Yes! This is how I am answering that question from now on. I always struggle on this one.

cocobean likes this.
  6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 21, 2017

Last year I went to 2 interviews where I was not even being considered for the job. It was so political, so just know that you can interview well and not get the job.

I am at the point with interviews that I am there to show them who I am and if I'm not going to be a good fit for the job, then it's not a school I want to work in. As hard as it is, you cannot take it personally. Reflecting on your interview skills is excellent, but don't over analyze too much and try to be someone you are not.

7. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Feb 21, 2017

No. I'm afraid some would take that the wrong way.