Am I a bad sport?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FourSquare, May 24, 2012.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 24, 2012

I don't REALLY mind, but I'm a little annoyed at my admin today. They sent out a lyrics sheet to a song and highlighted a part to sing for each teacher in our staff. Apparently we are doing a surprise performance at next week's assembly. I am singing a verse with one other person at least, but it bothers me that I'm being voluntold to do this and not asked. I hate performing! I will decorate, raise money, even introduce people...but seriously...this is not my thing. I feel like they're always trying to do some poorly planned dog and pony show, and then the kids act up and they get mad.

Am I being terrible? :|

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 24, 2012

They should really ask you to volunteer. Not just assume you'll do it. >__>;

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 24, 2012

It's hard to do things like that if they are out of your comfort zone. I'm so tone deaf it's ridiculous. I can't imagine singing in front of the school. Good luck!

5. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

May 24, 2012

I don't think your being a bad sport. People have different comfort levels with doing this and this obviously isn't enjoyable for you, sorry.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 24, 2012

Is anyone else a bit perturbed? This would cause a ruckus in my school.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 24, 2012

Not cool. Not cool at all.

Something similar has happened to me and I didn't handle it well.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 24, 2012

I am tone deaf as well. It would be a big mistake to have me sing!!!

9. bison

bison Habitué

May 24, 2012

I'd be pretty horrified as well.

10. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

May 24, 2012

No, you are not a bad sport. I'd be ticked off as well.

11. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 24, 2012

Be a good sport and sing. If Rosanne can sing (quite badly) the National Anthem, you and ms X can sing this little verse. One thing I have learned (over the decades) is that kids LOVE to see their teachers 1. OUT of their comfort zones and 2. doing real things like playing ball, singing, running, or just being human. We ask kids to get up and speak, sing at music, answer tough questions in front of the group and maybe sometimes the least we can do is reciprocate in some way. But I do know teachers that HATE to do these kinds of things.
    btw we had a music teacher for many years that had us perform for the big end of the year or spring musical. I wore a dress and wig one year and danced with six guns along with the male 4th grade teacher. I also played the bad boy while we sang WHYS EVERYBODY ALWAYS PICKING ON ME. The best one was pretending to be teachers going a little crazy to the old song They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa
    To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be
    happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're
    coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!

12. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 24, 2012

I'd be perturbed too. I just received an email saying we're all wearing our school shirts tomorrow and we're taking a picture. I don't own a school shirt! I can't afford it!!!

13. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

May 24, 2012

This sounds like something my admin would do. I would go
    along but would probably be fuming silently....

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 24, 2012

If you're with a group, lip sync like no other.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 25, 2012

I know it's been said to just roll w/ the punches & do it, however, I hate that kind of stuff too. I'm the silent type who prefers to stay in the background & never want any kind of attention on myself.

16. bison

bison Habitué

May 25, 2012

I don't mind making a fool of myself, it's the singing that would get me!

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 25, 2012

I would not do it. I don't mind doing silly things to embarrass myself in front of my students, but I draw the line at singing in public. I think you have every right to decline.

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 25, 2012

I know at our school the sports teams and different clubs are often selling shirts at a discount, or give away their leftovers. Do you have a cute shirt about education, or your subject matter or something?

19. KatieShow

KatieShow Rookie

May 25, 2012

"Voluntold." I like that. See if you can switch with someone maybe? Or offer to do something else? Hopefully you have a reasonably good relationship with admin, and can joke your way out of it. Good luck!

20. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 25, 2012

I don't sing. This would not fly at any of the schools ive worked at

21. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 25, 2012

Since teachon is on hiatus or whatever I will play satan's advocate.
    Kids watch us and sometimes look up to us and even emulate us. Many of them have issues with getting in front of a group and doing things but we know if they do it will help them in lots of ways. If we show them it "can be done" even though it is embarrassing or hard to do or scary they might see it is not so bad and be willing to try themselves. Here is an idea, use this as a teachable moment. Have a discussion about doing things that are scary or embarrassing or odd. Tell them you have the same feelings they do but are willing to try if they will reciprocate the next time they have a similar task. I see all kinds of possibilities here. I know this is not in our "job description" but inspiring, leading by example, maybe even being brave is part of our job. Hey, you could always call in sick.

22. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 25, 2012

I'd be really ticked off, too. I would be absolutely mortified. There's no way I could do that. Maybe you could call in sick, lol. :p

Beth

23. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 25, 2012

I don't think you are being a poor sport either. It's definitely something that my school would ask for volunteers, not assign.

24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 25, 2012

Thank you, but I'll still find other ways to motivate my children,,,:hugs:

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 25, 2012

Singing isn't a life skill so I don't feel the need to demonstrate my singing abilities. I am soooo not supporting this! :)

26. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 25, 2012

I wouldn't like singing in front of the school or kids either, but stephenpe has a good point. We often ask - or require - kids to do things they are equally uncomfortable doing. Some might even be mortified to speak in front of a class of their peers, but we still ask - and expect them to do it.

We ARE supposed to model behavior for our students...lead by example. Being willing to do something that far out of your comfort zone will make the kids more willing to do it as well.

I agree with stephen, the admin could have actually asked for volunteers, but this is a great teachable moment that can be used to show the kids that everyone has to do things they aren't comfortable with sometimes...and it's if you aren't great at it. The point is to try and do your best or to make the best out of a bad situation.

27. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 25, 2012

If someone jumped off of a bridge....

In many cultures, modesty is very much respected. Doing embarrassing and goofy things is something kids can very much avoid. If they were just asking the teacher to speak in front of the school, that would be different.

Perhaps the administrator will take some pies to the face and wear a chicken suit to join the festivities.

28. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 25, 2012

Yes, asking for volunteers was probably the best thing to do but regarding admins doing stuff. I have seen 1, kissing a pig 2 pies to the face 3. being slimed 4. wearing real funny outfits (all this for test scores or the like.
    This year I was duct taped to a pole for kids that turned in money for JRFH.

29. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 25, 2012

Then I assume you don't ask kids to work problems on the board or speak in front of the class. If you do, and they don't want to, then I assume you respect their request and ask someone else.

30. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 25, 2012

Indeed I do. I have only once required students to go to the front of the room (I teach math) to present a problem in a GROUP. Even then, a quiet student had the option of writing on the board for the group while the others spoke. The rest of the problems presented are volunteer-based.

Even if I did require students to present something, this is why I said it would be okay to have the teachers SPEAK to the school. Public speaking and problem solving are important life skills. Making a fool of yourself is something that can, and should, be avoided. We should teach students to take risks and to do things they don't want to if there is really a good reason for doing it. Singing foolishly doesn't fit the bill.

31. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 25, 2012

Any music teachers want to take a shot at "singing foolishly"?
    Just kidding. Really. I remember well in HS doing a play. It was scary to get up there in front of so many people pretending to be characters from the late 19th century (Oscar Wilde stuff) but at the end you realized you had done something good and difficult.
    Taking chances is never a bad thing (if its not stupid or dangerous). You learn things about yourself when you push boundaries and overcome fears. I see it often when kids make a bullseye or run a mile in 9 minutes or hit a softball (when everyone is watching). The confidence they get from individual things can carry over into really important things.

32. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 25, 2012

I don't think you would be a poor sport to beg off, and I don't think it's very nice of your admin to assign it, either. I can speak in front of a crowd if I have to, but if I had to sing, I'd burst into tears of embarrassment on stage.

33. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 25, 2012

While it is part of our job to teach useful life skills, that isn't really the point of a teachable moment like this.

Kids don't always see things long-term. Telling them that learning to speak before a group will be a useful skill when they grow up doesn't make the lesson meaningful right now. They are nervous about being in front of the class and afraid they will embarrass themselves. If you show them YOU are willing to do something that makes YOU nervous (and might even be a little embarrassing), then they see that you aren't asking them to do anything you aren't willing to do yourself.

I'll be the first to admit I would NOT want to sing in front of my peers or students. I couldn't sing on key if my life depended on it. I also would NOT like being "VolunTOLD" that I had to do it. Believe me, I DO understand that part very well.

All that being said, though, I agree with stephen that it would be a great opportunity to show my students I'm willing to overcome my own fear and do something even if I really don't want to.

34. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 25, 2012

Ha, I think we're reading into this way too deeply! I will cooperate. It will be fine. Historically, our kids have a 2 minute attention span at any kind of assembly, so I don't think their lives will be radically changed by my performance. Hopefully someone is inspired. ;)

You can bet I will do a little public song and dance when I leave this school though. This is a much more mild example of how disrespectful our leadership is to staff and teachers. :whistle:

35. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 25, 2012

You're right, FourSquare. It's easy to get off topic and get caught up in a side argument/discussion.

I agree it was disrespectful of the admin to just assign you a part rather than asking if you would do it. I would NOT be happy if my admin did that to me, even though I would likely do the same thing you are; deal with it, do it and get it over with.

36. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 26, 2012

I would not be okay with that either. Not my thing.

37. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 26, 2012

I really don't think students are going to recognize 1) their teacher was volunteered against her will, and 2) she is terrified to participate but will do it to inspire them. So...nice thought, but it would be lost on most.