Am I a bad neighbor?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mrachelle87, Jul 16, 2012.

1. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 16, 2012

Our new neighbors have four or five large dogs. We have show sheep...not a good combination. This morning my nine year old came in screaming that the neighbors' dogs were going to attack her sheep. I ran out andmy corgi was having a fit. I went through the back door and the back gate to try to get them to leave. When I tried to return to the house the three dogs- two boxers and a lab- started growling and backed me into the fence. I edged around the house and made it to the locked front door. The whole time my corgi was having a fit and the sheep were running around the pen trying to get away. I placed myself inside the glass door and banged until my daughter opened it. I then called the pound. The dog catcher showed up after my second call because I was afraid they were going to knock my fence down. I tried to call the number on the collar, but it didn't work. Yes, they were close enough I could make out the number. The female boxer growled at the dog catcher. Because the number didn't work and no one was home, the dog catcher took them to the pound.

Now what do I do? I would never have called the pound if they had been home. Do I go over and talk to them? Do I wait for them to say something to me? Our lot is over two acres and theirs is too. Our lots attach at the back fence. Our houses are at the front of the lots. How do I handle this?

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 16, 2012

Dogs attaching sheep is usually against some law. If the dogs were on your property, you had every right to call the pound.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

You were protecting your property...and yourself! You did the right thing. If anyone should feel bad, it's your neighbors for letting their dogs run wild.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

Yes, you should call your neighbors. Their dogs very well could be KILLED because many pounds hold for very little time. If they can't quickly make contact, those dogs will die. I don't think it's fair to hold their nature against them. The neighbors need to keep better control of them.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2012

The dogs were on your property & you felt threatened. Don't feel bad. They should feel bad for leaving their dogs outside.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2012

Since the pound knew where the dogs lived, the family was probably left a citation for dogs running loose.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 16, 2012

Is it common for their dogs to be loose or do you think something just happened, like a fence not being secured?

Maybe just letting them know what happened and where the dogs are. That your daughter and you were really frightened, that's why you took the action you did. Knowing that may make them take steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

I would hope so. But I have heard of too many sad stories... :(

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

I have seen people shoot dogs in similar situations, so I don't think you should feel bad about calling the pound. But I do think you should go over and tell them what happened.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 16, 2012

They were and the dogs are already home. I checked when I came in. And the dog catcher promised me that they wouldn't be fined this time. I also called and checked the pound to make sure that she was correct.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 16, 2012

They are new neighbors. They have lived here less than four weeks and their dogs have been in our barns at least five times. Today was the first time they were aggressive toward me, my daughter, or our animals.

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 16, 2012

I also took pictures of them trying to get to my dog. And the dog catcher witnessed their behavior. The local policeman told me to shot them if they were on my property. He said the fine for shooting a gun in city limits would be cheaper than purchasing a show sheep. One of our sheep is worth $1,500...and we have a barn full. I just hate that this is how I have to meet them. Plus I am worried about going over there. Part of me feels that they should come apologize to me and my family. We were in our home, on our property, and we were the ones attacked.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

Yes, they should apologize.

Do you know for certain they were notified?

I would just want to do my best to give the dogs a chance...meaning, make sure their owners knows what is going on so they can manage their dogs. Since they are new neighbors, they may not be fully aware of expectations (silly as that sounds), your animals, and how their animals are behaving when they're not around.

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 16, 2012

Yes, they were notified and got a lecture from the pound. No fine this time...next time large fine. City hall gave me their names, but no phone number. I looked them up on Facebook and the wife has pictures of their dogs being aggressive with the caption "training a killer."

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

Oh, okay. Then your neighbors should be shot. Not the dogs. You up for that? :D

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

:)

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 16, 2012

They make my baby girl cry over a dead sheep, I might!

19. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 16, 2012

I think you should talk to them still-let them know you want to be sure the boundaries are safe for everyone, including their dogs. It sounds like all members of that household need to be on a leash...

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

Honestly, I have ZERO tolerance for such behavior. I say very honest and harsh things when I discuss people such as your neighbors, so I'm try to simmer down.

21. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 16, 2012

They haven't been home all evening...I feel like a stalker waiting to pounce. I keep checking out the back door.

22. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 16, 2012

Let us know what happens when you talk to them!

It's owners like them that make me frustrated, especially that comment on fb about her "killer"...really? Promoting the stereotype doesn't help!

23. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 16, 2012

Good luck! Some people just do not get it. My neighbors continually let their dogs run loose. We put up a fence a few years ago after their dog came into our yard & attacked our dog. Luckily the dog it attacked is our tough one & he got the better end of the deal. My neighbors could not understand why I was upset that their dog attacked my dog in my yard. :eek:hmy: Anyway, I do not hesitate to call on them or their dogs. Many states have a leash law or at least something that says you have to keep your dog under your control. Hopefully your neighbors will understand & remedy the issue. :)

24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 16, 2012

We worked on the fence...their dogs had dug under the fence. Ughhhhhhh!

25. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 17, 2012

Since you are neighors, I would confront them in a positive manner. Like, "what would you like us to do if your dogs get out again? We really want to save you the expense of paying for our sheep."

26. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 17, 2012

ugh!! Too bad they don't make electric fences that would just zap others people's dogs. ;)

27. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2012

My first thought when reading this was to defend the dogs, but when I got to the portion about "killer in training" I feel sorry for the dogs that they have owners like this. People like that should not own dogs. Dogs can get out of yards at times and run around, it happens, but when they are treated this way it is unpredictable what they will do. I know if my dog got loose the worst she would probably do is lick someone too much. So frustrating.

28. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 17, 2012

I went over today and met with a man that was working on the house. He was the owner's friend. I explained who I was and where I lived. I apologized for the dogs being taken into custody, but explained that I didn't feel that I could leave my house with them running loose and I didn't have a contact number for him. The man agreed. The neighbor was out of state for work, but the friend is calling him to share my number and ask him to call. The friend said that the dogs were picked up last night from the pound and taken to another friend's house until the owner returns. He promised the fence would be repaired futher...my husband fixed the worse of it last night. He was very kind and understanding. I explained that I didn't sleep last night because I was upset over everything...not just the threat to the sheep and my dog, but the removal of their animals. He told me not to worry that the owner was not upset and would call me to work out the details to keep it from happening again.

We will see!

29. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 17, 2012

Glad it seems like a pleasant resolution. :thumb:

30. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

It sounds like things will work itself out!

31. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 17, 2012

Yay! Glad they are understanding!

32. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2012

In Arizona the dogcatcher is call an Animal Control Officer.
    And they do Control

Hoping you have neighborhood peace

[​IMG]