Always School's Fault.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Emily Bronte, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 8, 2009

I am having trouble sleeping, and if I don't get this off my chest, I probably will not sleep at all. I overheard partof a conversation my aunts were having today at family gathering. One was commenting on Autism and how it seems to be the "new" ADHD with all the increase in diagnoses. Then another aunt says to me, "Don't you think that there are some teachers out there who just need to know/ learn how to deal with a kid that doesn't sit still? I then said, Schools don't diagnose kids with autism, doctors do. I then said that the DSM IV mannual expanded its "definition" of autism, which is one possible reason for the increase. I did not comment on ADHD, but isn't ADHD something that needs to be seen in different settings? And, for sure, a kid isn't just autistic at school. My aunt could tell I was angry and the subject moved on to something else. I get really sick and tired of people complaining...always schools fault...teacher just needs to learn to deal with it. It just made me mad....really mad....Thanks for letting me vent....

3. Arky

Arky Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

I understand exactly how you feel. If it is not the school's fault it is the teacher's fault. I am so tired also of being blamed for everything. I recently found out two of my parents thought I was crazy because I was going from chapter 1 to chapter 8 in the same week in math. I explained it was our pacing guide that I had to follow. I could go on with many other blames that are put on the teacher or the school, but we would be here all day.

4. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

It's always the school's fault or teacher's fault because parents don't want to look at themselves and accept whats going on with their own children :whistle: :rolleyes:

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 8, 2009

Wouldn't you love to make up a set of State Standards that parents had to follow? I think I would start with "Feed and clothe your child every day" and go from there!

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2009

I've learned to consider the source when comments like that are thrown around.

7. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2009

Not only is it always the school's/teacher's fault it is also the school's/teacher's job to fix everything. Examples are fighting obesity, teaching citizenship, teaching financial planning, teaching good manners. All things that used to be the job of parents.

8. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

Mar 8, 2009

Just yesterday I overheard someone in a store talking about schools and teachers in my district.

She actually said to her friend, "Those teachers don't teach anything because all they are worried about is the __(State Test)__. His teachers last year all failed him by one point."

I wanted to say that teachers don't give grades, students earn them so her son must have earned 69 in every subject -- what are the chances?

9. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Mar 8, 2009

I love it when you get one like, "I was good at math and science until 7th grade. After that I got Mr. ___, Ms. ___, Ms. ____, Mr. ___ and now you. You guys don't teach it right."

I always want to ask, "Do you remember doing factor trees and finding the common factors?"

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2009

I think that people who don't see these kids don't realize exactly what teachers, parents, and doctors are talking about.

They see an isolated tantrum and say "That kid isn't ADHD, he's a brat." Because they see only a small snapshot of the big picture.

I do think that it has become too easy to label a child when sometimes good parenting is the tougher answer. But that doesn't mean that learning diabilities and other disorders don't exist, merely that those kids who honestly have some sort of disorder are sometimes getting lost in the crowd.

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2009

My Dh parents and I have had some pretty intense conversations about school finance. My MIL seems to think she doesn't need to pay school taxes since all her kids are grown. She doesn't understand that her taxes are helping her eat the dinner I just made her. She thinks it's really easy to go out and find a teaching job too. My FIL lives in the same small town that he raised my Dh in. It's the same school and everything. They have added a few classrooms and a gym over the years, but now they are in desperate need to build more classrooms and facilities. Anyway he screams that they even want to build a new school the old one is just fine. ( it's like 60 years old or older)

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2009

13. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 9, 2009

I don't feel so bad now, knowing that I am not alone.

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 9, 2009

It's something you will eventually get used to, unfortunately it's not a new phenomenon and it's not going to go away. You can't argue with someone who really doesn't understand and won't ever have the experiences to be able to understand.

At one time I carried it all on my shoulders thinking I was partially responsible. You do the best you can every day and that's all you can do. You can't change peoples' minds or their attitudes.

Consider the sources ignorant, and I'm not meaning that in a flippant way because true ignorance just doesn't know or understand.

15. BioTeal

BioTeal Rookie

Mar 9, 2009

Arizona State University released a study today that points fingers in some other places.

(pretty sure I'm still too new to post links - google "arizona state university blame school achievement gap" to get to the paper).

Some of these factors seem like no-brainers in terms of how they might factor into student success. I certainly don't think we can absolve schools completely, we always play a role, but expecting 100% perfection when these other societal factors are still weighing down our students is simply unrealistic.