Always planning the night before??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 773 Miles Away, Sep 14, 2008.

1. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

Normally I would post this in the New Teachers forum.. but i'm looking for insight from veteran teachers.

This is my first year teaching and I am always planning my lessons the night before. I can't really figure out a way to prevent this! Often my plan for the day is close to what i wrote down but often I need to base what i do the next day on what we actually covered on the current day - hence needing to sit down at the end of the day to start planning what needs to come next.

Is this just typical of my first year or is this just how it is in general?

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 14, 2008

I think that as the year goes on, you have a better sense of what your students will be able to cover. You become familiar with your curriculum. It does get easier with time.

Each year, I have an adjustment period with a new group of students.

I plan by the week. My plans are fluid- if I don't get something done one day, I just push it to the next day and put an arrow in my planner. If they get through things quickly, I start on things we'd cover the next day or do some review things.

4. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Sep 14, 2008

I usually plan for a full week and then modify my plans after school as needed for the next day. There are times when I find it difficult to plan every time for the next day starting from scratch. It should get easier as you become more familiar with your class and the curriculum.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2008

I usually plan units at a time. So, reading typically gets planned on Thursday or Friday for the upcoming week. When it comes to math and science, I am usually planned for at least 2 weeks. Social studies is the only one where I may plan the night before.

Try planning 1 subject at a time. I think it helps. I always plan all the way to my test.

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2008

I plan for the week. As you get to know your students and get a real feel for the day (things take a lot longer to do in September than in Jan. or even November). As the week goes on, if things don't get done, I put and arrow and push it back! The best part of that is, that thing that didn't get done will push everything back until your Friday lesson gets pushed to the following Monday! It is a great feeling to start planning for the week and being able to just copy last Friday's plans for Monday!!!! :)

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 14, 2008

As a new teacher, I'm finding myself doing alot of planning the night before too. I do spend Saturday and Sunday pre-planning for the week though since I'm on a 6 day cycle and don't get to see all of my sections on some days. It makes planning interesting but it helps with doing a little pre-planning.

Also, take home your curriculum/teacher's guide on the weekends and go through each lesson you'll be teaching. See how you'd like to break them up, modify them, and see what supplies and handouts you'll need for classes. Then you can have all of that set Monday morning and at least have that done for the week.

I think this is just something that comes with experience. Right now we as new teachers just have to suck it up and try our best :)

8. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Sep 14, 2008

When I first started teaching I also had to plan day by day. As the year progressed though I learned to just circle things in my plan book that I did not get to and write little notes for myself. It should definitely get easier as the year goes along.

9. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Sep 14, 2008

I do a week-at-a-glance on a 11"x17" sheet of paper. It gives me an overview of what I hope to accomplish over the week. Of course, it's ebb and flow so I just adjust as needed but I remember those days of doing daily plans - we're far too busy for that anymore!

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 14, 2008

Do you have a curriculum map or access to one? Sometimes called a pacing guide - so you can see the big picture of what you need to plan out.

My grade level does weekly planning on Wednesdays for the following week and I have time to also review/plan my stuff. It does get easier once you get into a pattern and know your students.

11. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2008

Hi 773-- I feel like I begin planning a day in advance at the beginning of the year too. BUT-- it'll start to get easier to plan for the entire week as the year goes on. Hang in there!!!

12. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

I have general pacing overview as well as daily plans. I plan for the week (generally overplanning) and hope to get through it all. If I am not sticking to the pacing, I cover the necessary information to move on.
    I still am doing work every night though...

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 14, 2008

I plan the night before 90% of the time. I do this because I like to plan for the next day based on the experience of the previous. It's helpful for me to plan this way!

I can set weekly or monthly goals, and try to stick to those, but more or less I plan each day as it comes.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2008

I am surprised that quite a few of you plan the night before!
    Our plan books have to be complete for the week on Monday morning as the randomly come check them. It probably only happens about 5 times a year, but it better be done when they do check (and they do not announce ahead of time).

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 15, 2008

I picked up this habit from my fellow science teacher at the school. I print out a planning sheet with 5 days on it and all 4 sections. Then I write on that and mark it up. Once I'm sure of the plans, I'll then write it in my planning book. Keeps things ALOT neater and should anybody need to see it, it'll make more sense to them. :)

16. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Sep 15, 2008

That's exactly what I do too.

17. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Sep 15, 2008

And I thought I was the only one with that problem!!!:crosseyed

18. JessWham

JessWham Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

I'm pretty new to the profession as well, I'm still in the process of figuring out my routine. I spent last weekend doing some lesson plans, and today I had a day off and made some more. Have you tried looking online to see if any of the lesson plans work well with what you're teaching?

I find that some lesson plans are horrid. But I've found good stuff here and there...I just signed up for a website, Applebatch, they haven't launched yet but as a test user got to see their database and it was filled with lesson plans made by teachers.