Alternatives to using a whistle?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Epiphany, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Epiphany

Epiphany Rookie

Apr 28, 2009

Hi All, This is my first post on this site so hope this is ok! I am completing my teaching degree in November, and now I'm practising in schools I'm trying to work out how to get a class' attention outdoors despite the fact I'm a quiet person (many of my teacher friends have commanding/ loud voices even in normal conversation! is this a learned skill?)

In particular, I'm not such a fan of using a whistle outdoors during physical education, I don't like the sound - I'm not trying to be precious! and I understand it's essential for stopping play for an injury etcetera, but in a normal PE lesson what are some attention-commanding alternatives? Or even alternative types of whistle to the shrill ones? Would appreciate some advice from the Wise Ones. Thanks!

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 28, 2009

Hmm, outside is tough. Most loud things are usually annoying! There are megaphones, squeaky toys, bicycle horns, etc...none of which I would choose over a whistle, but that's just me.

But don't overlook just using your voice and gestures to get attention. You can raise a hand, and teach the kids to raise their hand when they see you do it. You can assign them spots to sit until they have directions. You can have some other type of gesture that is a signal for the kids to quiet down or gather around.

As far as stopping play, that's tougher-if kids are running around, probably shouting, a whistle is probably necessary. Maybe you can shop around, sorry I don't know where, to find ones that aren't as loud or shrill.

Oh, what about train whistles? You know, the wooden ones that often have several holes? Those are never as loud, but still attention getting. Or how about a harmonica? Or a kazoo? Maybe a recorder?

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 28, 2009

Look for a London bobby's whistle, perhaps... or you could use a spent shell casing or the metal cap from a pen or some other small metal cylindrical object, which can produce an amazingly ear-splitting whistle when blown across.

5. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Apr 29, 2009

Duck call? Hand bell? A flag?

6. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Apr 29, 2009

An old fashioned school bell works great. I keep it in my bag and let one of the children ring it each day to gather my little ducks. :) I wouldn't like a whistle, either.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 29, 2009

I like the bell suggestion. You could also consider bird call wistles. Of course, there's always something like the "cow horn" my mom got me for christmas one year. It looks like a bicycle horn, but when you squeeze the bulb, it moos.....loudly.

8. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Apr 29, 2009

we have to keep recess times ourselves - there are no school bells - I like to use a stop watch - but then again my playground is very small.

9. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Apr 30, 2009

I use a cow bell I got from a baseball game give away once. Small enough to stick in my coat pocket, but loud enough to know it's time to go in from recess. Plus.. it's different from the whistles the other teachers like to use, so only my class reacts :)

10. Ross

Ross Comrade

Apr 30, 2009

I use the whistle sparingly. Mostly to get immediate attention when yelling is not enough.

When coaching, I can go many practices without using the whistle at all. I loud voice is required though.

You can try training them to respond to "FREEZE!" when you need them all to stop immediately what they are doing.

For normal PE instruction, a loud voice or whistle are your options. If your voice cannot be projected, go with the whistle. Hand gestures or visual signals will not be noticed by the kids when they are playing

11. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 30, 2009

Perhaps you can try the clapping technique. For example you clap twice, and the students you hear will clap back. And you keep clapping one to three times in certain rhythms until you have the attention of the whole class.

12. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2009

I use a brass hand bell, too. I found it at an airport of all places!
    The other teacher's and coaches use whistles. I hate them.

13. JustJim

JustJim Companion

May 1, 2009

Try a bosun's pipe. Its a weird sound they won't confuse with anything else.

14. Epiphany

Epiphany Rookie

May 1, 2009

Thanks!

Thank you to all who have replied to my thread so far, I really appreciate your inventive suggestions! I'm so excited to have found this forum too. I'm a nurse who is about to complete my K-6 teaching degree, and so I know that to be effective I need realistic expectations of myself and of my new profession and the threads on this site are fabulous :)

15. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

May 3, 2009

I have used a recorder (flute) and when the students saw a teacher playing the recorder, they knew it was time to come in.