alternatives to teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachme14, Dec 8, 2013.

1. teachme14

teachme14 New Member

Dec 8, 2013

I am in my 6th year of teaching (2nd grade) and I'm looking to change fields. I have my multiple subject credential, BA in English with an emphasis on creative writing, my Masters in Teaching, and my National Board Certification.

I truly enjoy working with children but I have found that the increasing demands and expectations of the state and district combined with the lack of support and resources is a frustrating battle I am not going to win. I'm burnt out and the joy of teaching has dissipated.

As a younger educator (under 30) I also realize that as my husband and I begin to plan for a family I do not want to continue to take home so much work/stress and spend the majority of my time focused on school.

What are other career options? Has anyone successfully had a second career after teaching? I appreciate any and all advice!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2013

Not a second career for me, but a side job: I've done lots of freelance writing.

Start with www.shmoop.com and see if there's anything there for you under Careers, just to get your feet wet.

4. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Dec 8, 2013

actually, I will give you some advice from a different perspective. I am 55 y.o., in my 3rd year of teaching after 30 years of engineering with most of the time spent in management of manufacturing operations. I left my previous field voluntarily after 30 years and took a sabbatical. After about 2 years, I got kind of bored so took a part time job in retail just for fun. That lasted about 6 months - the monotony was excruciating and I never knew from week to week when I would be working. So I "retired" from that too.

I love teaching for several reasons - first of all, it is mentally engaging. and vital. Tons and tons of real time off - in other words, work is not piling up in your office while you are on vacation. I don't get calls 24/7 from customers or from employees when I am off. do I work "extra" hours beyond pure classroom time? Sure but really less than I did in my first career. I teach with plenty of young mothers - it is an ideal schedule for young families. In essence, I tell my former colleagues that I work 100% as hard as I ever did for 70% of the time for 33% of the pay. (You may have guessed I am a math teacher). :>) This math works for me at this stage of my life - I now value time off more than the bottom line on my paycheck.

Bottom line - are there pressures and demands with teaching? Absolutely. But all meaningful professional jobs come with them (i.e. beware of "the grass is greener' syndrome). The other option is to step down and take a job with little or no responsibility. while this may seem tempting, it can quickly lead to boredom and frustration. Any job that can be easily filled will also come with things like odd work schedules, low pay, etc.

Just food for thought from someone who has experience in the world outside of the teaching profession. Best wishes in whatever you decide to do.