Alternatives jobs routes for teachers?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shadyleafytree, Jun 16, 2014.

1. shadyleafytree

shadyleafytree Rookie

Jun 16, 2014

Perhaps this has been asked before in this forum. I did try to search for it, but didn't really find a post that was dedicated to specific jobs. I'm very sorry if I missed it and this topic has been put to rest. :sorry:

I have had my teaching certificate since 2009 and have had plenty of long-term subbing and TA positions. I hold a Type 09 certificate with endorsements in Polish and ESL. I have a M. Ed with a 4.0 GPA to back it up. I have yet to be offered a position as an English or ESL teacher with any district I have worked with--two of which I have been been a part of for many years. There are no positions for me at either schools. I have 3 years of experience teaching adult ESL at a community college.
    While I do value myself as a teacher and have not yet given up on being a high school teacher I do wonder---What other jobs are available to teachers without going back to school? :dizzy:

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 16, 2014

I think you have two good certifications for making a switch. You could do jobs that English majors do, like editing, writing, or publishing, or you could get into the ESL/study abroad field. I see a lot of jobs in the ESL field advertised. Besides those suggestions there are other education related jobs such as museum guide, library positions, children's program director for after school or education programs, or office administration, if that's your thing. Just my ideas... I can't vouch for how plausible any of these switches are but the question is something I've often considered too.

4. Merc

Merc Rookie

Jun 17, 2014

Have you thought about applying to Teach For America? I know they aren't popular in a lot of places, but I've met some TFA recruits who were students that went to college for education and used TFA as a way into a job after having trouble the more traditional way.

5. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 17, 2014

TFAs won't take certified teachers. Neither will similar outfits.

If they did, these outfits would be inundated with traditionally trained, fully credentialed applicants. These outfits have nothing but contempt for traditionally trained teachers.

With TFA, for example, people who are in it go for a first-licensure, master's degree while teaching in a regular school at a regular teacher's salary. No qualified teacher will be accepted into the program.

I regard these outfits as scams and scabs.

6. Merc

Merc Rookie

Jun 18, 2014

TFA absolutely will take certified teachers. I know, I work with one. She completed a traditional teacher certification program and became a TFA Corp member when she graduated college. I also had a coworker who joined TFA after leaving the district. I recommend anyone who has an excellent GPA and is having trouble securing a teaching position to apply for TFA.

From the TFA Website:
    2. What if I am already certified?
    The application and training process for certified teachers is the same as for uncertified applicants.
    If you are already certified to teach the subject in the state where you are assigned, you will not need to retake any certification exams that you have already passed. However, you will most likely need to submit a copy of your score reports. You also may be exempt from taking additional coursework during the two-year commitment, depending on certification reciprocity between states. Information about credential reciprocity can usually be found on a state’s department of education website.

7. shadyleafytree

shadyleafytree Rookie

Jun 19, 2014

I applied for TFA once before but I cannot relocate and based on their need in my area I was not contacted by them. I might re-apply but again, I'm not in the position to relocate and uproot my family at this time so I feel like my options are a bit limited and thus the reason why I am thinking about alternatives to teaching.

Any other options besides TFA?