Alternatives for Mailboxes?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by nc3teacher, Aug 2, 2008.

1. nc3teacher

nc3teacher Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I'm trying to come up with an inexpensive alternative for mailboxes. I don't really have a lot of room in my class for one of the big mailbox organizer things. Do you have any ideas for alternatives? Could the over-the-door shoe holders work? You know the plastic ones... would all of their weekly papers fit?

Do you have anything ideas? I'm trying to go this afternoon to hit up the tax free, teacher appreciation day sales. Any help would be GREAT!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2008

File folders. I have crate with all the folders in it and papers that need to be filed, I stick into the front of the crate. All work that I return I file.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

I agree with the file folders. That's what I used last year because I didn't have room for mailboxes either.

5. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I too use hanging file folders in a crate. I have them marked with their classroom numbers and place the papers that need to be filed in the front of the crate.

I've used this system for three years and really like it. It doesn't take up much space and it is very easy to move.

6. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I didn't use the file folders as much as I should have last year but I agree, they do help a lot! I just used it to put graded papers into before they went into the students' Friday Folders to go home.

7. TeachGrade1

TeachGrade1 Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

You can use shoe organizers. I buy the canvas hanging shoe organizers. Each one cost a $1(from dollar tree) and has 12 spots. They have worked great.

8. TeachGrade1

TeachGrade1 Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

Picture of Hanging Shoe Organizer (Mail)

[​IMG]

9. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

Ditto. I use the hanging files as well.

If space wasn't an issue you could make your own out of cereal boxes. Either by cutting them to look like a magazine rack or glueing and stacking them on top of each other to look just like a mailbox.

http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=933bf9ef-f867-480e-b587-52881355f1cd
    I have a pocket chart like this one but has two more columns. I hang it with magnets on one side of my easel. It takes up no room at all. This could also be used as a replacement for the mailbox.

10. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

If you need sturdy boxes, go to the liquor store and ask for the used wine boxes. They are sturdy and already divided. And usually they are not labeled wine.

11. wildcat252

wildcat252 New Member

Aug 2, 2008

Those boxes that hold the binders they sell at retailers are awesome for holding folders. (They're free, the people at Office Depot were happy to give them to me) I have four of them, one for each group to keep their writer's workshop and take-home folders in.

12. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I'm going mailbox free this year and I am pretty excited to free up some wall and floor space. Instead, I am just going to put papers to be sent home in a pile and send them around the room when we pack up. I end up doing that anyway as I usually get the papers during my last recess and don't have time to put them in their boxes. For name specific papers, I will call students up or send a student or 2 around during that time to return papers. I have seen people use file folders...some in crates, others in metal/wire standing file folder holders.

13. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I used an organization station hanging pocket chart one year. It worked fine but I switched to the mailboxes because I had enough counter space. So if you have wall space - that might work.

14. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

i don't do friday folders...i send home an "important folder" every night with homework and papers to pass back. when we have papers to go home i either just ask for volunteers and use my "paper passer" or when we have a gob of papers we all do a pass back. takes about 5-10 min. and then they put them in their folder on the "leave at home" side of their folder. i think it is a great activity to do when we have a little too much energy. they get to walk around the room and gab a little to friends but we are totally getting something done! works for me..

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 2, 2008

I have what is called a daily expanding file. It is brown and has 31 slots in it that are numbered 1-31. I assign each student a number, and file their graded papers there once they have been processed (graded & grades recorded). I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do for regular stuff that goes home each day (announcements, permission slips, what-have-you).

16. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I use hanging pockets from Mardel. I thought I saw them at Lakeshore too, but I can't find it in the catalog. They are made of a nylon type fabric. There is a plastic one, but I like the fabric one. They have 10 or 12 pockets. A letter size folder will fit in each pocket. They are about $15 each. I hang them behind my door on the wall. They work really well.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  17. samchris

samchris New Member

Aug 27, 2008

I just thought of an inexpensive idea for those who do have room.. why not pick up some free USPS flat rate boxes and stack them on top of each other?

Let me know if any of you decide to try it! :)

18. Danigirl

Danigirl Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

I also use a plastic crate and hanging file folders. It doesn't take up much room and is really inexpensive.

19. samchris

samchris New Member

Aug 27, 2008

FREE mailboxes!

I just noticed that you can order 25 flat rate boxes FREE from the USPS website.. have them sent to your door!

20. abk327

abk327 Rookie

Aug 28, 2008

Thanks for the idea. I just ordered the boxes. I am going to try taping them all together and then covering the outside with paper to make them look nicer. They're free so even if it doesn't work, it didn't cost me anything!:)

21. dbelmo

dbelmo Rookie

Aug 28, 2008

Thanks for the ideas everyone, I think I may "borrow" the box idea (just ordered some) and use for writing portfolios instead of the Pizza box idea.

dbelmo

22. samchris

samchris New Member

Sep 5, 2008

So I just picked up 20 free MEDIUM sized FedEx boxes from Kinkos (they gave them to me after I explained I was a teacher) and taped them together to make the mailboxes in my classroom.. they work perfectly.. I think they are a bit smaller than the USPS flat rate boxes…which is nice…I thought about covering them as someone suggested (great idea!) but they just look so cute with the FedEx symbols on all of the sides.. puts a new spin on the word “mailboxes” :)

23. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

Use a hanging file folder cart. Works great and takes up very little space. Students just drop their papers in their folder or you do as you grade their work.

24. lemonlime

lemonlime Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

You could stack plastic in-boxes as mail boxes. You could easily fit all 30 or so in one stack and it would take up very little space.
    teachingchildren . ca has a great post on the 8 different types of classroom mailboxes.

25. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Sep 10, 2008

I love the UPS idea! I am on that. I currently use the hanging folder method. It seems really cumbersome and students always misfile them (it is a desirable class job).
    (My other favorite class job- Morale Booster!)