Alternative to stoplight behavior system

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Aug 22, 2017.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2017

I have disliked the stoplight behavior system for years. I want to do something different, but don't what to do. Any suggestions of good alternatives?

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 23, 2017

Class dojo?

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 24, 2017

I've used class dojo and the novelty wears off pretty quickly with kids I have found.

Most teachers I work with use the clips the kids move up and down, the bucket fillers, etc.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 26, 2017

I don't use a behavior system. I just build good relationships with students and deal with inappropriate behavior on a case-by-case basis. It's what most, if not all, teachers do in my school.

Concrete reinforcement really isn't necessary for the majority of students. For those who it is, individual plans can be created.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2017

I agree with this viewpoint. I have never used negative, public behavior systems. The same students are always the best behaved and the same students usually end up receiving the misbehavior points. Everyone in the class knows which students are which. It is very similar to high schools which used to place students on tracks...one track for college prep and one track for the others (and we knew who they were).
    So, I have always dealt with behaviors privately, as needed.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2017

That's what I would like to do. Unfortunately, I am working with another teacher (the Spanish teacher) who doesn't want to move away from the stoplight system. I am very torn and am trying to figure out how to use a system I am against, while keeping it positive. I used to do punchcards (where students would get a punch in his/her punchcard for staying on green, then when the card was full he or she redeems it for a prize) but I think I will retire that system. This will hopefully de-emphasize the colors. I'm also wondering if this is a case where I should "agree" to use a system I am against, but then just deal with behavior by giving logical consequences (as I always do anyway), and "forget" to ask them to move their color....I know this sounds bad, and I do not like to be disagreeable with others, but when students' emotions and well being are at stake, that becomes my biggest concern.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2017

This. I always "wanted" to do some kind of economy or prize system or whatnot...but every time I tried one thing or another, I found two things:
    -- It became more about the rewards/consequences and less about the behaviors themselves
    -- It took time/focus away from academics and teaching the whole child (in order to do the extrinsic bits)

Instead, as bella does, I focus around the relationships, focus on natural consequences, focus on growth mindset within their behaviors, and focus on preventing any negative behaviors by making sure that there's a clear structure to the classroom and a clear understanding for the students about the purpose of every rule/procedure, instead of just telling them what that rule/procedure is.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2017

Yes, I agree. I absolutely build relationships, discuss behaviors and work on better choices, and implement logical consequences, but I am working with another teacher who does not want to move away from the stoplight. This is where this becomes very complicated. I am thinking in this case I should agree to use the system, and just continue what I've been doing without having students move their clips.

10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2017

Oops - missed that part in your later post!

I would definitely say not to use it publicly - that is, don't have them or yourself do clips at all. Instead, could you somehow turn it into a more private self-assessment, utilizing the same R/Y/G system? Perhaps even utilize that to develop some classroom norms where you describe what green/yellow/red looks/sounds like during independent reading (or whatever)? Conversations with them can then be around (what color do you feel you're at right now? Why?)

Backroads likes this.
  11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 26, 2017

I don't think "agreeing" to do it and then not doing it would be a good decision. I think you'd be better off having that tough conversation with the other teacher and finding a compromise that you can both live with. I know that's easier said than done.

If you "agree" to it, then you actually need to follow through with it - both for your own perceived integrity (If you tell a colleague that you'll do something and then don't follow through, you're only going to make yourself look either incompetent or standoffish.) and for the structure that the students will be expecting (You can't be holding them to different expectations than the other teacher is, assuming you're co-teaching.).

I'm a bit unclear of how you and the other teacher are working together... Are you sharing teaching responsibilities equally, or do one of you serve as the main teacher, while the other supports?

Backroads likes this.
  12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2017

Sorry, I just meant not use the physical chart that's posted on the wall. I was thinking that students can have their own in their desks put away where it's private. So, it's the same system but private.

mathmagic likes this.
  13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2017

Yes. I was thinking that I could make this a private system and they keep an individual chart in their desk.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2017

No, this is not a co-teacher. She is their Spanish teacher. She comes in and teaches them for an hour a day.

In any case, I think I am going to meet with her so we can look at alternative ways of using this system. Like I mentioned, I think a private version of the chart in their desks is more discreet and respectful to them, and I would like to propose that to her.

15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 26, 2017

So, if she is only the teacher for one hour of the day, and you are the teacher for the majority of the day, why does she get to have so much of a say in the behavior management system that is used? I'm a bit confused, as I've never had a specials teacher attempt to tell me how to manage behavior in my classroom, even if the specials teacher has to come to my classroom to teach his/her class.

MissScrimmage, a2z and AlwaysAttend like this.
  16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2017

She doesn't, I just would rather be on the same page. Since she comes in the classroom to teach them, we've always used the same system (the stoplight). We've found that it just seems to work better. However, I really want to get away from that system and she does not. I think the best thing I can do is continue focusing on logical consequences and see if we can make the stoplight chart more private.

Backroads likes this.
  17. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 26, 2017

I wouldn't bend to a teacher who sees them that much less. If she's using routines and packing enough into that hour, there shouldn't be significant behavior issues that don't already exist with you there too. I agree, culture is more important than a system.

Backroads and bella84 like this.
  18. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 26, 2017

[QUOTE="TamiJ, [/QUOTE]

Some of the schools I've taught at (middle schools), spotlighting the kids with good behavior was a death sentence for them. They did NOT want to be singled out as "better" than the others because they would NEVER be able to live it down.

The kids who act-up would MAKE THOSE GOODIE-TWO-SHOES PAY!
    So, whenever the opportunity arose--usually while the others were not around, I would let them know how much I appreciated their good example.

Backroads likes this.
  19. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 28, 2017

This is my Spanish teacher who wanders in for an hour.

I stopped doing the stoplight system a few years ago and haven't looked back. I record infractions on my own, but not to any particular result... more to look for patterns, so I can say "this kid is getting extreme."

Most of the school uses the traffic system despite no requirement, so I compromised with Spanish Teacher: she does her thing, leaves it for me, and I translate it to my system.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2017

This. Absolutely :yeahthat::agreed:

bella84, MrsC and AlwaysAttend like this.