Alternative to Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snowyday, Mar 23, 2010.

1. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Mar 23, 2010

I have an advanced 2nd grade reader in my class who has recently been obsessed with Harry Potter. As the books progressed she began to get afraid and had to stop reading them. Now, nothing holds her interest. Does anyone have any good alternative series or book suggestions?

3. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2010

The Lightning Thief is very Harry Potter-esque, and has the additional advantage of teaching a lot of Greek myths. The first two books don't seem too bad so far. I know the later HP books get surprisingly dark.

The Chronicles of Narnia would also be good -- those books never get particularly scary. The Hobbit is another good choice, though the Lord of the Rings (the next natural progression) is a lot more difficult.

Or perhaps Eragon by Chris Paolini, or Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke?

I guess the question is, why does she like Harry Potter? Is it the similarity to a school, or is it the purely fantastical elements, or is it the relations between kids?

4. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

Charlie Bone is along the same lines - its a bit of a lower reading level than the later Harry Potter books.

Charlie is endowed (he can enter into photographs and talk to the people in the picture), and he goes to boarding school 5 days a week with a few other endowed children who have a variety of talents. He even gets a wand in one book

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 23, 2010

Try Sherwood Smith's Wren series (Wren to the Rescue, Wren's Quest, Wren's War), the first several books of Diane Duane's Young Wizards series (begins with So You Want to Be a Wizard), or Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small series (begins with First Test).

6. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Mar 23, 2010

Wow. Thanks for all of the great suggestions! This particular student does not enjoy realistic fiction as she has an incredible imagination and creative side. Many of these sound great!

7. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Mar 23, 2010

Redwall Series

Many Gail Levine Books

8. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 23, 2010

Hmm.... What did I enjoy around that age?

I believe books such as Holes, by Louis Sachar.

Or Hidden Talents by David Lubar.

Although I was a rather advanced reader.

Narnia is always a good choice.

I'd suggest some hard fantasy like David Eddings, but second grade is a little early for hard fantasy :p

Ooh. I also read Lloyd Alexander around that time. The Black Cauldron. Might be a bit too dark though.

How about Terry Pratchett - The Wee Free Men (Then A Hat Full of Sky and then Wintersmith)? They are books geared towards younger readers, but I have read them and they are excellent.

9. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 24, 2010

Charlie Boone by Jenny Nemo or anything Diana Wynne Jones.

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 24, 2010

Give Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events a try! I love it.