alternative teaching certification

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Drea1, May 4, 2009.

1. Drea1

Drea1 Rookie

May 4, 2009

:help:I currently relocated to the Douglasville area from IL and I am seeking to change my career path into the teaching profession. I have a B.S. Healthcare Management and dual Masters in Management and Human Resources Development and currently pursing a PhD in school psychology. I have taken the GACE basic skill (Passed)and Special Education Adapted Curriculum 087 (Passed). I will be taking the other half 088 this summer to which I would be considered as highly qualified. My ultimate goal is to teach special education but it does not correlate with my background. I would like to obtain my certification through the alternative route of the test base option but I am unsure if I going about it in the right manner. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on the best approach for career changers to become certified Special Education teacher in GA. I would like to make the switch this coming school term if possible. Any suggestions, contacts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

[+] Rate this post positively

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 5, 2009

Your best bet is to contact the Georgia Department of Education. They can tell you exactly what you need to do for certification. I have to warn you that getting a teaching job is not easy even for ESE. Schools want some experience. Are you willing to sub? Have you volunteered in a school? You need some kind of classroom experience.

4. palla

palla Companion

May 5, 2009

There are some different options with AC in Georgia. If you don't have teaching experience or are critical needs (math/science), you may be required to go into a post-bac program. If you have teaching experience, you might get a supervised practium, but they are going to be hard to come by this year. I don't know how Douglas County is specifically, but most schools in metro ATL aren't hiring many teachers right now.

I would call the school board and ask what options are available. Explain your experience and background and see what they say.

Good luck!

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 5, 2009

In the past (two years ago) it was easy to get hired with an intern credential. You could take the CSET and CBST and with your bachelors degree apply for an intern credential. Then you had two years to get your preliminary while teaching. Here where I teach they did away with the intern program this year because of the budget. They also let go a lot of interns (including me). Well, at least I have my credential now, so will be better prepared to get a job for next school year with two years experience and my preliminary.
    You never know how it is unless you ask. Other districts may still hire interns. It doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck!!

6. Drea1

Drea1 Rookie

May 5, 2009

Yes, I have Sub before for Dekalb County about 3 yrs ago

7. Drea1

Drea1 Rookie

May 5, 2009

Thanks Palla for the advice. At this point I will to try any district in the area....

8. Drea1

Drea1 Rookie

May 5, 2009

Thanks Katrinkakat,

I will keep trying til something happens.

9. palla

palla Companion

May 5, 2009

Drea, subbing probably won't count as far as a supervised practium. I think - but I am not positive - that they usually require teaching experience that includes having your own classroom. Did you teach while working on your PhD? If not, they might tell you that you have to enroll in a post bac program. Again, I would call and ask. I am guessing based on how it is in my area, but every district is different.

Keep us posted!