alternative teaching certification

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by arteach, Jun 29, 2007.

1. arteach

arteach Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

I am curious about alternative certification. I have a friend who is unable to afford two more years in college to receive his teaching certification. He cannot afford a 1 year internship with no pay. I have no advice for him because I am unsure of this process. Can you even get a teaching job without a certificate? I did not think that this was possible since I always have to send in a copy of mine for jobs. If you can get a job without a certificate and through this get teacher certification where are the ares that do this?

3. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

Tell your friend to look into Charter Schools in the area, they have a little more freedom on who to hire. Some districts still allow teachers who are not certified to teach and earn their certification but with politics they are fewer and fewer.

4. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

What state are you in? In Florida you can get a "Temporary Certificate" that covers the subject area of your college major. For example, if you majored in history, you can get a temp. cert. to teach 6th to 12th grade history. Once you are issued the temp. cert., you must complete the GK, SAE and PET exams as well as some additional college coursework (I think it's five education courses, but I wouldn't swear to that). You also have to teach full-time for one school year. Once you've done all of that, you get your full, permanent cert. I know that Oklahoma has a similar program, as do many other states. You can check with your state's Department of Education to find out if they have an alt. cert. program.

5. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

Yes, Oklahoma, and Missouri and Arkansas. I think Kansas but I won't swear to it. I am in Missouri and know several people who have gotten or are in the process of getting alt. cert. For instance, one woman I know has a BA (?) in Business but it doing a Masters of Arts in Teaching while she teaches. She is finishing up this summer. It takes about two years and is not particularly expensive. My niece has a BA in English, taught in Arkansas while obtaining her alt. cert. Had to attend certain classes, take tests, etc. Funny, she will now be teaching in Catholic school in Oklahoma next year...

6. teach101

teach101 Companion

Jun 29, 2007

I am going the alternative certification route. I have my BA and am enrolled in a credential program (which I have completed). Due to the finalncial hardship (for my family) I decided to do a university internship which for the most part will pay the same a a first year teacher instead of student teaching. I agree with BASAM, charter schools while still public are much more flexible.

7. glenn

glenn Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

Does your friend have a bachelors degree? If so in what?

8. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 2, 2007

I did an alternative program, and only paid about $100 out of pocket. I had an intern certificate while I was in the program. Now I have a clear renewable certificate.

9. gumbita

gumbita Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

If he has a bachelor's, in the state of Texas (and probably other areas too) he could teach without certification in a high needs area (like science, math, etc.), but have to obtain certification in 3 years, I believe. If he did alternative certfication, there are SO many options (it's what I did - mine was entirely online and was $700, but that could be split into payments) Then when you are hired by a school district, for your internship, you get full teacher's pay and benefits (they do deduct a $3200 internship fee, but it comes right out of your paycheck, so you never really miss it - especially since salaries are still $38,000 AFTER you deduct the internship fee) I definitely recommend alt. cert. and at the end of the year, I will be fully certified.

10. mariah

mariah Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

I went through Alternative Certification and my internship was paid. They just took out an internship fee of around $1300 spread out over the whole school year. The only thing I had to pay for out of pocket was about the cost of one college class and my certification tests. So, some internships are paid if you go through ACP.

11. arteach

arteach Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

My friend is getting his BA in Art and Art History. I got a job in Arizona and he wants to move down with me in year after he graduates. He just wants to know how difficult the job market would be with an alternative certification instead of the usual education major etc. It would be nice to have a friend out of state but I don't want him to be unable to find a job in education if he moves and goes through the alternative certification.

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 7, 2007

I went through the Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T) program. It was not cheap. It was graduate school. I had comprehensive exams, GRE requirements, and student teaching requirements. It was not for the faint of heart.

13. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

How hard has it been for those trying to get hired for internships in ACP programs? I am in an ACP program in Houston, Texas - getting certified in Special ED. - but have no teaching experience. Was wondering if going the clinical teaching route would be better.

14. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I'm finishing an APT (Althernative Pathways to Teaching) program for special education. Last year I was a high school LRC teacher, full time, teacher of record. It took the place of my student teaching hours and I completed my work samples in my own classes. I had a mentor teacher who worked with me 8 hours per week. I received 75% salary and full benefits and my mentor received the other 25%. It was a great program for me because I got a year of teaching under my belt and could have stayed at the school if I wanted to. I ended up easily getting a job at another school though. He's probably more likely to find an alternative program or get a postition with an alternative certification if it's in an area of high demand (i.e special ed, math, science, etc).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  15. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I was hired just as easily as any first year teacher would be. Probably easier for me actually. It helped that I applied to a school district who had hosted internships themselves and understood that it truly is an intense year of teaching that provides lots of experience.

16. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

That doesn't make sense- an internship IS paid.