Alternative Teaching Certification

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by TxChelsey, Jun 25, 2006.

1. TxChelsey

TxChelsey Rookie

Jun 25, 2006

I am curious as to how many of you plan to obtain alternative certification and which program you plan to use? I am in Texas and am taking coureses through iteachTEXAS. Thanks for any feedback.

3. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

HI

I'm in VA, but am going the alternative route. Doing a MSEd at UO Phoenix

4. ZphiBLady

ZphiBLady Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

I'm in Alabama and I'm going the alternative route through Alabama A&M University and their graduate school 5th year progam. The only bad thing about it is that I'm in classes with people who have a strong background in education (most were education undergrad majors) where I don't. So where they learned things like how to make unit and lesson plans I'm just learning.

5. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jul 6, 2006

It seems like a TON of people are going back to become teachers. The post-bacc program at Texas A&M is top notch. I believe they placed every single one of their student's last year.

However, I have heard that it is tough to find a job with an alternate certification if you are not in a high need area.

Good luck to you!

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 6, 2006

Georgia T.A.P.P.

7. GFlav

GFlav Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

Im doing the ODU teacher licensure program in VA.

8. MrsTC

MrsTC New Member

Jul 16, 2006

I am in NJ and attending the New Pathways to Teaching in NJ (nptnj.org). Very intense! I also had to take and pass the Praxis II exam and obtain my Certificate of Eligibility (CE).

9. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

I'm in the Baltimore City Teaching Residency. I had to also take and pass the Praxis I and II. We just started our institute last week and I can already tell that this will be a tough/challenging summer. On top of that, I'm going to Johns Hopkins for my masters! Phew!

10. acent95

acent95 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

I'm in TX and am getting my certification through teacherbuilder.com.

11. mayobebe

mayobebe Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I'm going through Region 4 TeacherTrak in Houston for EC-4 ESL. I'm doing it online and really like it. I'll be teaching 3rd and 4th grade ESL next year.

12. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 20, 2006

A family member of mine just got a job in a non-high need area and he is going the ACP route after two years of working in a non-teaching field. I have heard good things about iteachtexas.com but I have heard they take a long time to get your acceptance letter to you. It all depends on your needs on the type of program you need (online or in person). I am an ACP as well but I chose www.txteachers.org to do mine.

13. mathandme

mathandme Rookie

Jul 22, 2006

I applied to a school district's acp program, and as far as I am concerned everything is going very well.

14. texasmom

texasmom Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

I'm going through iteachtexas.com and am enjoying it. So far no problems at all. I received my acceptance letter within a couple of days of me submitting my application and application fee. I received my statement of eligibility equally as fast.

Michele

15. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 9, 2006

I went through an "accelerated" university based program for post bac. certification. I heard that some principals don't like it, but on my team of 7 teachers, 4 of us are alternatively certified. I get offended when I hear people talk negatively about it. I feel like I have more education and real world experience so why would I be less qualified? Good luck!

16. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2006

"Real world" experience is a big plus IMHO. I can see the value of it in the folks in my credential program.

I think the reason that alternative programs have a bad rap with some principals is because of their experience with them. There are good alternative programs, and some not so good ones. The biggest problem with them here in California is that people just don't have the same kind of prepration by the time they hit the classroom as they would have in a regular credential program. If you are in a district internship program, after the equivalent of three weeks of training you can become teacher of record in the classroom and finish your program over the next two years. At that point most interns are clueless about how to manage a classroom, deal with a diverse student body, etc. How well they do initially, and how fast they develop their skills, depends a lot on the amount of support they get from their master teacher and the program. And some programs don't have a real good track record in this area.

The other problem is the general quality of instruction. Some of the alternative programs use people that aren't university professors to teach most or all of their classes. They may have a lot of experience and be fine professionals, but without the doctorate they may not have a lot of insight into the theory of education.

FWIW my original plan was to pursue a district internship. But for a number of reasons I chose an almost traditional program run by a local district through a state university. For one thing, the district I most want to work for doesn't even participate in the largest district internship program around here. And the fact that I qualified for a nice finiancial aid package made it almost a no-brainer.

17. loveschool

loveschool Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

I plan to go the alternative route but after reading this thread I want to be selective on the type of program I get into. I am thinking about National to get my preliminary and pursue my masters however I have not decided. I am also using the ECO way which is the Early Completion Option. That is a person can complete their preliminary in as little as six months and it might also cut down the time getting your clear. Is anyone familiar with this option????? It seems that University programs are not up to speed with this as I have found out when I have been looking at different universitys. This applies I believe only to CA but may also be in other states.

Malcolm, I will look closely on who my master teacher are as I will be using a district program in conjunction with a university. Are you familiar with the good district program in socal????

I will be teaching secondary Math as I just passed the CSET. I also have passed the CSET in Soc. STudies and would love to find a school who would let me teach both subjects.

18. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2006

Sorry, I am not familiar with the intership programs in SoCal. But I am sure there are others lurking around here who are.

With a SS math credential, I am pretty sure they will want you to spend most of your time teaching math. They can get all the social science teachers they need. But you might be able to work something out with your principal.

19. loveschool

loveschool Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

That was my thinking too. I am hoping that I might work something out with teaching both subjects.

20. TXStateNicole

TXStateNicole New Member

Nov 14, 2006

MayoBebe

I applied for the teachertrak program at Region 4 for the EC-4 ESL and I am about to schedule an interview. Can you tell me anything about the interview questions that are asked?? thanks!!:thanks:

21. JHenry

JHenry Rookie

Dec 2, 2006

I'm beginning a Master of Arts in Teaching program to teach secondary math. Its an alternative certification program where you also get a masters degree.

I majored in mathematics and minored in psychology and anthropology in undergraduate. I graduated from college 2 years ago but in the small town where I live my degree in math has been useless. I applied to many bank and office jobs and didn't even get called back. I tried to go to graduate school to study anthropology but while I got accepted I didn't get an assistanship and thus couldn't afford it without taking out huge loans. After doing a call center job and stubstitute teaching for a while I found out about the M.A.T. program. I should also be able to get a couple scholarships and most likely will be placed in a job beginning Fall 2007.

I've taken the Praxis II Mathematics Content Knowledge exam but I still need to take the Proofs, Methods, and Problems exam.

Technically I will be beginning the MAT program this fall but I am going ahead and taking some of the required graduate courses this spring and summer to get a head start.