Alternative teacher certification programs?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by saltyd, Apr 27, 2013.

1. saltyd

saltyd New Member

Apr 27, 2013

I have one semester left of my grad program in journalism, and I don't feel it's worth it to finish it. I would rather spend the time getting certified to teach high school Spanish or social studies.

I've looked into a lot of the alternative teacher certification programs and most of the people haven't had positive things to say about them. They seem like they're very corporate-driven and take a really authoritarian approach to behavior management. But I really don't have the time to go back to get another master's and I'd like to start teaching as soon as possible. I'm willing to move to another state that has less stringent requirements.

Does anyone have experience with these programs?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2013

I have no experience with them, but in most areas, people with alternate certification find it far more difficult to get a position than those that went a traditional route. The education market is mostly over-saturated, so schools have their pick of applicants.

If you choose to go an alternate route, you will want to go with Spanish. Social Studies is one of the hardest areas to get a job in.

4. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Apr 27, 2013

I agree; going an alternative route could make it harder to find a job (though not impossible).

As for going to a state with lower standards. Not sure what you meant by that, but if you are talking about the requirements to become a teacher, I would say that, in my opinion, it is best to become licensed in a state with the strictest standards because then you will be more marketable to other states (i.e. both the strict and not so strict).

Just some thoughts. Hope whatever you choose works out great for you! :thumb:

5. Eurydike

Eurydike Rookie

Apr 28, 2013

What about a program through a university?

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 28, 2013

I did an alternative certification program and found a job. My program, however, required that you already have, at a minimum, a bachelor's degree. Many people in my cohort also needed to take additional coursework if they didn't have enough credits in basics such as math, science, English, etc.

I think a degree in journalism plus a certificate might open a few more doors for you.

Also, most of the people in my program had work and life experience that helped us land a teaching job.

If you want the name of my program, although I know it has changed along with new licensing requirements in my state, PM me.

7. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Apr 28, 2013

I did an alternative certification program and found a job, but the job was in the inner city back when there wasn't a teaching shortage. It was through a university that had a partnership with the city. I had informal teaching experience in another country, and it was a great way for me to get into the classroom here in this country.

Don't know how it would work with the job situation now, though.

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2013

I did one; which required a Bachelor's degree, passed the state exams, attended some interviews, and the turn off was them suggesting that I have to be bi-lingual. :huh:
    Of course I came back with, "I am bilingual!" I knew what their answer was going to be, which was, "Sorry, but we don't have a population of children from your country, that need help with understanding English", BUT I just had to say it. It ticked me off, BIG time!:mad:
    Rebel1

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2013

I have to take the #7 reply too, JUST 'cause....:D
    It is a fast, and cool way to being a teacher.
    I know "some" of the teachers who went to school to be teachers are sometimes not too crazy about us, BUT it is what we love to do. We want to make a BIG POSITIVE difference in the lives of our future "team players" and "leaders", just like y'all do.:hugs:
    Rebel1