Alternative Routes to Teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Alyssa20, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Alyssa20

Alyssa20 Rookie

Dec 9, 2017

Recently in California, Liberal Studies Graduates do not have to take any CSETS. I was wondering if there are any other states that implement waivers? I searched around, but a lot of them were misleading. For example, I found a website that Texas offered alternative programs for becoming certified, only to check out a website and find out they do require exams still.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

Since the vast majority of us are not in California, you need to be more explicit. Virtually every state has state teacher exams. Some have their own versions, many use the Praxis exams. Are you trying to evade those exams?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 9, 2017

The exams are the most fun part !!!

vickilyn likes this.
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

OP, I think you can find many threads and posts from people who are struggling in teaching, and they did pass the exams. Exams are at least some standard measure of enough education in the field in which you want to teach, making it more likely that you will be successful. Not a guarantee, just giving everyone a better gauge.

FWIW, I favor the exams.

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 9, 2017

Where did you hear this?

7. Alyssa20

Alyssa20 Rookie

Dec 9, 2017

From the CSU I am enrolled in. It won't let me post links on this forum, but if you type CSU Long Beach Elementary Subject Matter Waiver, you'll see that they recently got their program passed. One by one CSU's are getting their Liberal Studies waiver approved, CSU Stanislaus also did recently too.

8. Alyssa20

Alyssa20 Rookie

Dec 9, 2017

I want to specifically teach K-3. I know they can move you around grade levels, but if a school ever did I would leave it then, since I enjoy teaching little kids (I also have my degree in Child Development. I would be a preschool teacher, but they are paid badly). The CSET Math/Science is extremely hard. I do not need to know about mass/volume or any Science to teach K-3. In California, teachers don't even teach science to K-3 students. They don't give them any materials, but if they have the 'time' they like teachers to come up with their own stuff. The majority of math in the CSET is at least 6th grade plus level. This is becoming a huge obstacle in my life/future. I worked hard for YEARS only to have it all based on exams that will be irrelevant to me if I ever do become a teacher. Teacher's have curriculum/materials that tell them how to teach. It's fustrating...whenever I am subbing I always end up chatting with other teachers about how they didn't have to take the CSET. Majority of them always say, "Yeah, I am so glad I didnt need to take the CSETS. If I did, I wouldn't be a teacher today!"

It's also not fair how Liberal Study students do not need to take the CSET. Yes, the took courses that the csets covered, but they also had an instructor teaching them and homework backing them up. Why can't they just give the option to allow teachers to take classes that cover the CSET material then? California always complains about shortage of teachers, well maybe if they wouldn't require so much they'd have more. 5 years+5 exams (CBEST, 3 CSETS, RICA) and then only starting off with 45-50k....it's depressing :( especially for passionate educators. I always dreamed of being a Kindergarten teacher (since I was 12)...and now I feel its impossible.

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 9, 2017

Teachers should *have* to demonstrate their subject matter competency before they set foot in the classroom. With that said, I am 100% in agreement with you that it is not fair that Liberal Studies majors are exempt from having to take the CSETs. That’s ridiculous.

And I know the pay is not great starting out, but it quickly rises if you work in the right locale. You could easily make 60-70k range after 5-10 years of teaching in most districts. You can look at teacher salary schedules online. Just type in the school district name followed by the search string “teacher salary schedule.”

My suggestion: Take the CBEST first. It’s the easiest and shouldn’t give you too much trouble. Brush up your math skills if you feel you might need it. Then, take CSET Subtests I and III because they are the easier ones from what I hear in this forum. I think you should leave Subtest II for last because you have difficulty with math. For that, you should hire a tutor and/or buy a prep book. Watch Khan Academy videos to refresh your memory on certain concepts. Practice, practice, practice. For the RICA, read through other threads on this forum because other posters have said how they passed it.

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    AlwaysAttend likes this.
  10. Alyssa20

Alyssa20 Rookie

Dec 9, 2017

Only Liberal Studies Graduates don't have to take the CSETS. I have my degree in Child Development. They also don't accept 2nd bachelor degrees unfortunately.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 9, 2017

This is not necessarily true. My district just gives us a pacing guide that’s very vague and an old basal.

My degree required physics. My current position does not use this information but knowledge never hurts.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

Different states require different tests. In NJ, for example, you would need the K-6 Elem. Ed. Praxis exams. I am sorry to say that I don't know what the criteria for K-3 certificates are, although I believe that your transcript would need to be evaluated for Early Child Development course work. Can I tell you how our testing stacks up against the CA exams? No, I have not had the honor of applying for teaching credentials there. I always recommend reaching out to the state DOE for up to the minute information.

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 10, 2017

I find it absurd that they need to waive assessments for people who will be making others take assessments.

14. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 10, 2017

I would say anyone who gets the waiver should also get a 10k salary reduction until they take it.

futuremathsprof and AlwaysAttend like this.
  15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 10, 2017

I can’t even comprehend how people can think they are qualified to teach if they struggle with a BASIC SKILLS assessment. This is the least you need to know to teach the subject competently.