Alternative Route to Certification

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by jbe, Jun 16, 2021.

1. jbe

jbe New Member

Jun 16, 2021

In my state I can take the Praxis ll in ELA, SS, Science, Math or Business and become a certified teacher with some ed courses that can be taken during teaching. I passed the Business Praxis with flying colors, but I did study hard for it. I have been out of school a while. What next Praxis 11 is the easiest to pass. I want to spend the next 4 weeks studying and not sure what to take. I don't want to do the math. I am leaning towards the ELA 5038. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  3. jbe

jbe New Member

Jun 16, 2021

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2021

Science and ELA would be highly recommended - SS, not so much - every coach I have ever worked with tends to show up as a SS teacher. Not a judgement, just an observation that is based on fact gathering. Are you taking the K-12 Praxis exams, or are you limiting yourself to Elem./MS? In NJ, there is a general science test, but it is given as a companion test to whatever branch of science you want to be certified in. Example: To go alternate route in NJ, I had to pass the General Science exam as well as the Biology exam, this based on my college transcripts that showed I have the required hours for biology to be considered a major. When I decided I would also consider K-8, I added Subject matter tests for MS in ELS, SS, and Science. Instead of needing 30 credits in the subject matter, I needed 15 credits. I have the credits to take the math exam, but have no desire to teach math, so it is a certification I will never pursue. I hold the Teacher of Students with Disabilities certification, which allows me to teach SPED in any subject that I hold a certificate in, but that was earned through a university, not a Praxis exam.