Alternative Plans

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msvateach, Jul 11, 2012.

1. msvateach

msvateach Rookie

Jul 11, 2012

What is the best course of action if one does not find a teaching position for this school year?

A.) Sub
    B.) Be a teacher's assistant
    C.) Preschool teacher
    D.) Find a position for the year where I can actually make a decent salary and then try again next spring/summer.

Will it look bad in an interview if I do not have a job this year directly related to teaching?

Thanks for any suggestions!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2012

I'd go with A first...then B or C....D isn't going to help you get a job next year.:sorry:

4. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 11, 2012

All of the above are good options. It won't look bad if you do not secure a teaching job right away because most districts understand how hard it is to find a job in the field of education. There isn't a lot of hiring going on right now.

5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 11, 2012

I think you can do D if you can also take a course, attend some workshops, or volunteer. I agree, I think admins. understand that it is taking a long time to get a job in this economy, and people have to eat.

6. dream2bateach

dream2bateach Rookie

Jul 11, 2012

I've been applying for teaching assistant and regular old corporate jobs as a back-up plan. I am a career changer with past experience in marketing and customer service, so I'm lucky in that I have something to fall back on. But, I would much rather obtain a position in education rather than going back to another boring corporate job. I wish I could do the subbing thing, but I really need something full-time and with benefits, so it's not an option.

7. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 11, 2012

I was a full-time teacher assistant. That is how I got my foot in the door. I liked it better than being a sub because I knew I was going to work every day and had benefits which I needed. That was 15 years ago.

Also, I worked at an after-school program at teh school I was a teacher assistant for.

8. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jul 11, 2012

No offense, but I don't think you should work at a preschool if what you want to teach is upper elementary. I've heard that both subbing and working as a teaching assistant have varying clout among districts- some won't hire new teachers from assistants, but others will. Also, I'm not sure if this is common practice for many districts, but in our district, a teaching assistant's salary is split so that we did not receive half the pay we earned during the year- instead it is distributed in the summer. That was definitely tough for me.

9. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Jul 11, 2012

teacher assistant will get your foot in the door much better than at least that is my experience. Paraprofessional positions will usually pay and give you good experience, there is still time before school starts so you never know what can happen. If you want to teach though definitely apply for support positions also just to get your foot in the door because that is what it takes.

10. FT2012

FT2012 Rookie

Jul 11, 2012

It depends on your situation. If you need a stable income, then I would say be an assistant. Most aide jobs are salary, include sick and personal time, and have health insurance.

On a personal level, I would always pick the job with the insurance. In the event you get sick or hurt, at least you will have insurance to cover the cost of the medical bills.

I was an aide for 5 years and I find that's one of the many reasons people call me for jobs. They really like the fact that I worked in one school for a long period of time. It shows I was committed to the students and I understood what it meant to be a member of a school staff.

My old principal wanted to hire me when I graduated, but she didn't have any open positions. I was also moving out of state. She also told me she was willingly to give my names to other principals in the district. So, my time as an aide was very positive.

11. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jul 11, 2012

I'm not trying to start controversy, but I find C a little offensive.

I am early childhood and early childhood special education certified. I can't find a full-time preschool job to save my life. I love teaching preschool, and with the number of children requiring special services, it is a job that requires an enormous amount of time, dedication and work.

Not really an option just because you can't find a "real" teaching job.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 11, 2012

:yeahthat:

EC is a ton of work, and shouldn't be considered an "alternative" IMO.

13. msvateach

msvateach Rookie

Jul 12, 2012

I wasnt thinking of preschool as not a "real" teaching job. I am actually a certified prek teacher. I am trying to think of other ways I can still work as a teacher or in education because eventually distficts will stop hiring for this school year. There are also a lot of preschool or pek jobs in my area.

14. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jul 12, 2012

I understand what you are saying, but district preschool jobs are not easier to obtain than other grades. If you are talking about a childcare setting, the pay is not likely to be more than a dollar or two over minimum wage, and there may not be insurance, or it may not kick in for 6 months or so. I think being a lead teacher in a childcare center is good experience, but if you already have school district experience, it may not make a big difference. I guess it really depends on your preference- would you rather be with the same class every day or sub all over the city?

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 12, 2012

I would say they are ranked in the order that I would take a job in.

16. TXspedteach

TXspedteach Rookie

Jul 12, 2012

I would take a para job. I did part-time last year at the school I student taught at, I was offered a full-time teaching position this year! It does work to get your foot in the door. I had to impress a whole new administration after the both the P and AP retired last year!

17. missklyssa

missklyssa Rookie

Jul 12, 2012

I couldn't find a teaching job for the 2011-2012 school year, so I took a Teacher's Aide job at the elementary school where my older sister was teaching kindergarten. I formed a lot of important relationships - particularly with the P and AP and both of them helped me network when it came time for interviews and applications.

I definitely think my experience in the classroom this past year (the teacher I worked with understood my situation and we approached it more as co-teaching than as me being an aide) helped me land my kindergarten teaching job for 2012-2013.

So do whatever you can afford!