Alternative Licensure

Discussion in 'General Education' started by want2t, Jan 26, 2010.

1. want2t

want2t Rookie

Jan 26, 2010

Could anybody tell me how long it typically takes to get your alternative licensure (and how many classes)? I have tried contacting my school but they will not tell me until I send in my transcripts. I will not be able to send them in until I finish my degree, which will not be until June. The school I am interested in is in NC!

Thank you!

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 26, 2010

The school can't tell you how many classes you will need until they get your transcripts because they don't know what you've already taken. They have to see what you already have before they can determine what else you need.

Even though you haven't finished yet, you should be able to get a transcript from the Registrar's office showing what courses you've completed and which ones you are taking now. Even though you haven't "officially" passed your classes this semester, the other school can determine what else you will need under the assumption that you will pass the classes you are taking now.

As for the number of extra classes, that all depends on what you have taken and what content area you want to go into. I took a double-major in Finance and Marketing for my undergrad degree. The Finance classes covered some of the math I needed, but the Marketing didn't help that much. Fortunately, I wanted to teach Middle School math and this just happened to be the education career with the shortest path as well. I needed a total of 18 extra hours, most of which I was able to take online. I took one class at the local community college and was fortunate enough to have my Substitute experience count as my Internship I requirement. So, I ended up taking a total of 8 extra classes (which included my Internship II requirement). I started last Fall semester and finished in just over 12 months. If I were going to school full-tme, I could have finished even faster.

So fill out a request for the Registrar to send a copy of your transcript to the new school. That will get the ball rolling and let you know what else you need to do. :)

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 26, 2010

Contact your State Dept of Education's web site or find a phone number to talk with someone. They are the ultimate authority.

5. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Jan 26, 2010

I went through the RALC in NC. Once I got a job they sent my transcripts there and they came up with a list of courses. I had three years to take everything I needed, and then I took the Praxis II. You can go to this website: http://www.ralc.ccs.k12.nc.us/
    and click on pedagogy to see the education classes and then courses by area to see the courses you need for specific areas.

6. want2t

want2t Rookie

Jan 27, 2010

Thanks! I was able to contact my school and found out there are 15 teaching courses (includes student teaching I) plus student teaching II. That seems like quite a lot to me. These are the courses I would need to take regardless of my transcripts. Does this seem right?

7. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Jan 27, 2010

I got hired at a school and then they figured out my coursework, so I didn't have to do student teaching. I think I had to do about 10 classes to become fully licensed.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

Call your State Dept of Ed and talk with someone about Alternative Certification.