Alternative license - special ed

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by laf, Jul 29, 2005.

1. laf

laf Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

Am looking for insight into the process of obtaining a teaching position while pursuing certification. CO (where I will be living soon) offers an alternative license for those holding a bachelor's degree. After being accepted into the program, the next step is to find a full-time teaching position. Once that is accomplished, coursework, mentoring and evaluations are completed while teaching.

What is freaking me out here is the idea of me - a complete novice - competing with other fully-licensed teachers for a job. How does one go about this? Although my degree is in psychology and I worked extensively with children in college and while my own children were young, that was a LONG time ago. My children are now grown.

Which brings me to another question. One of the designated agencies for this program in CO notes that when pursuing a teaching job that a 'philosophy of education' statement should be included with the resume and cover letter. I am not sure how I go about writing a two-page philosophy statement (their suggested length) when I have yet to be exposed to the fundamentals of education..... Anything off the top of my head would sound just a -bit- unprofessional, I would think.

Thanks for your help.

3. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

I assumed that someone with more knowledge than me would have responded to your post by now. But since no one else has, I'll help as best as I can. From what I understand, most places are desparate for special ed teachers. You really shouldn't have any problem finding a job. My guess is that most places would love to have someone with your background: degree in psychology, experience working with kids, experience raising your own kids. Being enrolled in a certification program will make you that much more attractive as a candidate. You have a lot of strengths...SELL THEM!!! As far as competition is concerned, you probably won't have much since there is such a dearth of special ed teachers.

Can't help you much with the philosophy statement. If you search this forum, you may find that this question has been addressed before. Or try a google search and see what you come up with.

Good luck with everything! I'm confident that things will work out well...

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 30, 2005

Philosophy of education... this will change, so just do whatever you believe NOW... touch on how you believe kids learn best, what your role in education is, etc... and if you write it and send it to me or post her,e I'll be happy to give you suggestions, etc. ;)